U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,437,467 times

Advertisements

My dad just turned 76 and still wants to work. He worked in aerospace for most of his adult life, mainly doing contract negotiations and purchasing. He worked for years at McDonnell Douglas on the C-17 program. After the aerospace industry tanked in the early 90s here in So. Cal, he bounced around from job to job -- taking contract work here, contract work there -- at one point he even commuted to Palmdale, CA each day (from the Lakewood area -- about 80 miles one way). He even worked overseas several times (Kuwait, Afghanistan, Singapore). The guy just loved (and loves) to work. He's well off and financially secure, but he just wants to work. I think his work has always been a huge part of his personal identity. Currently he lives in Tulsa and just started working as a financial advisor for Tulsa Community College.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:44 AM

5,769 posts, read 4,827,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, it took TPTB a couple of extra days this time, but the OP is no longer a member of City-Data. (At least not under this SN anymore.)
Have no fear...he'll be back any day now with a new handle.

Last edited by TheShadow; 12-07-2018 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 PM

605 posts, read 188,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
when i do the training it is 7am to 4pm so it is a full day but i get breaks . but it is easy work , i enjoy it and they pay me very well.

last year i did a month in the finger lake region in ny in a beautiful touristy town in july . they had me bring my wife and she had a blast all day in a world class spa which they gave her as a perk for letting me do this . every night was fine dining on the company credit card or with the owner . he would not even let her buy a bottle of water .... so i don't mind at all if we have nothing planned .
An offer you cannot pass up Good for you both! Sounds like he really wants to keep you, wining and dining both you AND your wife

Old 12-07-2018, 07:18 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,172 times
I have dreams and nightmares about going back to work. But, I never go.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:29 AM

71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
An offer you cannot pass up Good for you both! Sounds like he really wants to keep you, wining and dining both you AND your wife
it is an industry where experience and a customer base rules not age .

even engineers are useless to the company for quite a while . the specifics they need to know are very product specific .

Old 12-08-2018, 06:14 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,660,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
even engineers are useless to the company for quite a while . the specifics they need to know are very product specific .
And then there are small pockets where the product specific knowledge makes you more valuable as you age. I installed my first inverter type Electronic Variable Speed Drive on an environmental test chamber fan back around 1980. First application of this technology at my then employer and it replaced an earlier Eddy Current Clutch electronic drive from 1955-1960.

My present employer is still using two mechanical scoop tube style variable speed drives installed in the mid 1970's, and the concept/design dates back many decades before that. None of the new engineers have any idea what these giant oil filled 7500 horse power behemoths do, or how they work, or their common failure modes. Only old timers (like me) have even heard of them! But these museum appropriate pieces will be replaced with current technology in under two years time.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:42 AM

12,295 posts, read 15,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
And then there are small pockets where the product specific knowledge makes you more valuable as you age. I installed my first inverter type Electronic Variable Speed Drive on an environmental test chamber fan back around 1980. First application of this technology at my then employer and it replaced an earlier Eddy Current Clutch electronic drive from 1955-1960.

My present employer is still using two mechanical scoop tube style variable speed drives installed in the mid 1970's, and the concept/design dates back many decades before that. None of the new engineers have any idea what these giant oil filled 7500 horse power behemoths do, or how they work, or their common failure modes. Only old timers (like me) have even heard of them! But these museum appropriate pieces will be replaced with current technology in under two years time.
True, there are a lot of facilities with such obsolete equipment almost nobody knows what it is, much less how it works. But it would cost too much to modernize.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:53 PM

389 posts, read 269,314 times
The fastest growing segment in the US homeless population is people over 65.

Housing costs have ruined many people's retirements.

The government stopped issuing Section 8 vouchers for new enrollees in Sept 2017.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM

31,009 posts, read 13,571,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
The government stopped issuing Section 8 vouchers for new enrollees in Sept 2017.
That's not correct. The 2018 budget increased the amount of money going to HUD and the number of vouchers.
https://www.cbpp.org/research/housin...-rejects-trump

Old 12-08-2018, 11:46 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
The fastest growing segment in the US homeless population is people over 65.

Housing costs have ruined many people's retirements.

One of the many reasons why I'd much rather own a home than rent. My costs won't rise nearly as fast as a renters'. And I don't have to worry about rents rising every year, being evicted, the landlord passing away, my apartment being turned into condos, my condo being turned into apartments (happening in FL right now), new owners, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or