Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I kind of don't understand this. What's the difference between a "stranger" in a Uber/Lyft situation and a regular cab? People get into a cab and think nothing of it. What's the difference?
I have a relative that has a cab company. He is of course anti Uber

His main complaint is that the drivers are not required to have a full police type background check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:50 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have a relative that has a cab company. He is of course anti Uber

His main complaint is that the drivers are not required to have a full police type background check.

I'm sure cab companies don't like them! Competition. Cabs here are expensive...$20 round trip for five miles total. I don't think it was that expensive even in Vegas!

I'm surprised they don't require background checks. I guess I just 'assumed' they did. Boy, I hope I never have to stop driving!

Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
They aren't all hired as greeters. They work all over the store. My store has a lot of 65 to 80+ working different jobs. It isn't THAT bad to work there. Well, sometimes. lol
yep some get hired as those frisker's ....

they tell you they are checking to make sure you are leaving the store with everything you paid for . but what they are really doing is frisking you to make sure you ain't stealing ...great lil spin on it .

Old 12-02-2018, 12:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep some get hired as those frisker's ....

they tell you they are checking to make sure you are leaving the store with everything you paid for . but what they are really doing is frisking you to make sure you ain't stealing ...great lil spin on it .

Oh c'mon MJ, they don't "frisk" anyone. lol The biggest reason they started checking receipts was to keep check on the cashiers. Too many were missing large items on the bottom of the carts and that's why they were only supposed to check the receipt for just those things. They are NOT allowed to search bags so how would they know if it's on the receipt or not? You'd be amazed at how much goes through self checkout without being scanned but, since they can't check bags, it just walks right on out. Or another trick is to scan an incorrect UPC sticker by putting it over the correct one. Happens a lot. According to the last inventory my store alone lost over a million dollars which really plays havoc with the bonus money.

People do sometimes leave the store minus some purchases by leaving the bags on the bag thingy. I always did an extra spin to make sure they got it all because if they don't it was extra work for me.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:14 PM

well i quote the workers here . they are checking to make sure we are leaving with everything WE PAID FOR .

Old 12-02-2018, 12:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
I've known a number of 'street' people (missions, halfway houses, etc), who have found themselves at 60+ with little or no savings or serious income. They typically share living arrangements (or live in subsidized housing) and rely on SS or SDIC, plus food stamps, food pantries and other welfare programs. It's not pretty, but, the viable opportunities for sustainable employment at 70 (after several years outside the workforce) are slim and none.

I don't know of anyone who chose to retire early ... and then was desperate to return to work at age 70. By 62+, most people know their future chances of re-entering the workplace in a viable role are virtually non-existent.

I suppose some suddenly find themselves in extreme involuntarily circumstances.
But, it's difficult to imagine many people could live that long, yet, have absolutely no plans or provision for when they inevitably stop working.

(I wonder whether these "many 70-year old's who have run out of money and are desperate to return to the workforce," are real people - or anecdotal caricatures).

Old 12-02-2018, 12:23 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
well i quote the workers here . they are checking to make sure we are leaving with everything WE PAID FOR .

This kind of depends on your zip code. There are plenty of affluent suburban stores where nobody is checking people as they exit the store. They're monitoring potential theft threats on their security cameras but they're unlikely to spend any time monitoring anyone who doesn't meet their profiling criteria.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Quote:
number 1 would fall under survivor benefits , but we know what you meant .
However even with survivor benefits they would still be down one less check, you would get the higher one but lose the lower one. Of course one thing no usually mentioned is that if a spouse dies you no longer pay for Medicare part B for them nor for a supplement or drug plan if they had them, so the actual amount they are losing is less same with medications they took or Dr. visits etc.

Old 12-02-2018, 12:33 PM

nor pay for hair coloring , mannies ,pedies , weekly delivery from ups of more clothes , shoes , only 1 person to feed and 1/2 the bill eating out ..... i am surprised they don't cut benefits besides the loss of one check . ha ha

on the other hand i would have to canvas the local college for another wife and buy a sports car ,,, i think i will keep this one , bills and all . .

Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
I don't know of anyone who went back to work because of financial difficulties. My wife went back to work because she likes to keep busy. We certainly didn't need the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement