U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:08 PM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,668 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Reputation: 19868

Advertisements

Do you have a Butterfly story? You know - where something happened along the way that was unplanned and unremarkable at the time, but had a huge effect on your life. Like the tale of the butterfly who flapped his wings in Kansas and caused a thunderstorm in Alabama three years later.


Most people have several. I do. Here's my favorite:
I was in the navy in 1969 and certified as a class A swimmer. Re-certification is required and when it came time to be re-certified they put me in the ocean and I was required to swim- I dunno - a long way. As I swam along I listened to the two guys in the boat as they escorted me. They were talking about a sales training school they had gotten involved in and a lot of what they said piqued my interest. They weren't even talking to me!
When I got a chance I called the school and enrolled.
I got out of the navy in 1971, and by 1987 I was the top salesman at a firm which employed 2500 salesmen. I went on and became Director of Sales and Marketing and later owned my own sales firm.
All because I overheard a conversation between two people I did not know.



What's your butterfly story?.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2018, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, AK
7,256 posts, read 4,143,320 times
Reputation: 15677
After I got out of the Marine Corps I heard a number of veterans who expressed regret at not having used their GI Bill before their 10 year eligibility period ran out. A few years later I was divorced and I decide I wasn't going to be one of those who didn't use their GI Bill. I was able to get my Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting just as I hit the 10 year mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2018, 11:15 PM
 
10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Reputation: 17029
Fall 1976,I visited some step relatives (stepfather's sister & hubby) in San Francisco. My third morning there, I got up early, brewed a cup of coffee, glanced down, saw an open book on the coffee table. Didn't pick it up but registered the title.
Boom.
The book was a spiritual work. At the time I was an atheist in a foxhole, had been raised in a religious environment, first embraced then eventually discarded it.
But that book. It grabbed me and never let me go even though I fought it for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 04:38 AM
 
1,137 posts, read 570,383 times
Reputation: 4370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Do you have a Butterfly story? You know - where something happened along the way that was unplanned and unremarkable at the time, but had a huge effect on your life. Like the tale of the butterfly who flapped his wings in Kansas and caused a thunderstorm in Alabama three years later.


Most people have several. I do. Here's my favorite:
I was in the navy in 1969 and certified as a class A swimmer. Re-certification is required and when it came time to be re-certified they put me in the ocean and I was required to swim- I dunno - a long way. As I swam along I listened to the two guys in the boat as they escorted me. They were talking about a sales training school they had gotten involved in and a lot of what they said piqued my interest. They weren't even talking to me!
When I got a chance I called the school and enrolled.
I got out of the navy in 1971, and by 1987 I was the top salesman at a firm which employed 2500 salesmen. I went on and became Director of Sales and Marketing and later owned my own sales firm.
All because I overheard a conversation between two people I did not know.



What's your butterfly story?.....
That was a cool story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM
 
2,099 posts, read 717,805 times
Reputation: 5377
Not quite sure if this qualifies, since the September 11 attacks were hardly a "butterfly":

I was living in NNJ then and working for a small consulting firm that had bet the farm on a very large project with a single client. Client panicked and eventually pulled the plug and there were significant cutbacks to compensation (you were paid a % of what was billed and collected subjected to a small minimum ad a max that was less than my previous salary). Job market in the area was pretty dead. I conducted a desperate job search and ended up taking an offer in a KC suburb. DH had been raised in the area and I'd been raised in Ohio so it wasn't totally alien.

SO much changed. Far lower COL- we got twice the house at half the price and my salary pretty much stayed level. That job lasted almost 10 years. DS went to college in Iowa, where he met DDIL. He was able to buy a house a few years out of college- how can anyone do that in NNJ without the help of parents?- and they just sold that and bought a bigger house for their growing family. DDIL is a SAHM- also not an option for most families in NNJ. DH and I were able to stash away more for retirement because housing no longer sucked up a big % of the budget.

So- change was forced on us but it worked out very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Reputation: 27672
Spring 2012.

I had been looking at jobs across the country. I was making about $15/hr and having to commute a hundred miles a day for that.

I ended up getting a job in Iowa. I did a careful search of places with low unemployment rates, reasonable COL, and better than average wages. That led me to the upper Midwest, and that was when I joined C-D.

I had never been west of Nashville and no farther north than DC. That move led me to seeing many areas of the country that a small town kid from east TN probably never would have otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM
 
Location: NE Mississippi
13,668 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Reputation: 19868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Spring 2012.

I had been looking at jobs across the country. I was making about $15/hr and having to commute a hundred miles a day for that.

I ended up getting a job in Iowa. I did a careful search of places with low unemployment rates, reasonable COL, and better than average wages. That led me to the upper Midwest, and that was when I joined C-D.

I had never been west of Nashville and no farther north than DC. That move led me to seeing many areas of the country that a small town kid from east TN probably never would have otherwise.
Ask yourself this, and see if it adds to the story:
What is it about yourself and your history that made you so portable? After all, many of your contemporaries back in east Tennessee have never left and never will. Accident of birth or personal inclinations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Williamsburg, VA
3,551 posts, read 1,655,156 times
Reputation: 10169
We were driving on Rt. 7 during a heavy snowstorm. A multi-car collision occurred maybe a half mile ahead of us, and we realized we might be stuck in traffic for a long time while they cleared everything up. It was cold, we didn't feel like sitting in traffic, and we were near the mall at Tysons Corner.


So we decided to take a little detour and spend time in the mall. That one decision changed the course of our lives.


Walking around, mildly bored, we wandered into a hotel that was connected to the mall and decided to check out a retirement destinations show. One of the booths was for a community in Williamsburg. We hadn't considered Williamsburg, because we were thinking we wanted to be closer to the beach. Plus, Williamsburg had always struck us as a stuffy town that had nothing but "ye olde colonial" things. We were children of the 60's, we were too cool for some colonial town my grandma would have liked. LOL, little did we know.... anyway, we were in the mood for a little get-away, and the booth was offering a free "discovery weekend" in one of the retirement communities. My husband looked at me and said "You know, it's not snowing in Williamsburg..." and the die was cast. And we just thought it would be an excuse to get away from the snow, lol.

Fast forward 5 years, and now we live here. We didn't end up buying in that particular community, so I guess that promotion was only half successful. However, we DID take a serious look at Williamsburg as a place to retire and found all sorts of things we liked that we would never guessed were there. And, perhaps even more important, that was when we turned the corner and began putting our retirement plans into motion. Until that day retirement seemed far off, and then suddenly it seemed like something we'd be doing in the near future.

Last edited by Piney Creek; 12-04-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:35 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,229 posts, read 6,335,450 times
Reputation: 9849
I moved for improvement of my job situation, however, that’s not butterfly story, that’s being worker bees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2018, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,581 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Reputation: 27672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Ask yourself this, and see if it adds to the story:
What is it about yourself and your history that made you so portable? After all, many of your contemporaries back in east Tennessee have never left and never will. Accident of birth or personal inclinations?
Honestly, I think it was desperation.

I worked in a call center for two years immediately after college and before moving to Iowa. Working in a call center environment is pure hell. We almost always had calls in queue - as soon as you hung up the phone, you'd have another incoming call.

Many of the callers were irate from having to wait on hold. We'd often have to escalate issues to other teams, then the callers would be mad because we couldn't fix the issue ourselves.

It's mentally exhausting work. I wanted to set myself up for a better future. I refused to think that was all I could do.

I just started doing research on better places to live. If you look at it strictly by the numbers, I made a good move. I didn't like Iowa.

Part of it is that I just get bored about every two years. I make more money now, and it's harder to replace a higher paying job, so the job search is going slower. I want to be out of this area by 1/2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top