Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:02 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

Actually, I'm referring to my husband. He will turn 66 in February, and is currently working full-time. Can he collect SSA retirement without first quitting his job? I've read SSA information, but its not quite clear---at least not to me It sounds like one can retire, collect SSA, and go back to work FT and still collect SSA without penalty. Ok, I get that.

But can he just start drawing his SSA benefit starting next February, which will be his FRA, without quitting his present job AND continue working at that job? Or does one need to quit work first to start collecting SSA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 07:36 PM

499 posts, read 470,686 times
Once your husband reaches full retirement age, he can earn all he wants to while collecting benefits. You can read about that from the Social Security webpage here:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/whileworking.html

About halfway down the page you will see this:

"When you reach full retirement age:

Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn."

Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
He can just keep working AND file for and receive SS Retirement benefits. There is no connection between the two.

The key here is FRA age. Prior to FRA, as early as 62, he could have filed, but there would have been a reduction in FRA benefit, based on earnings.

After FRA, he can earn as much as he wants, for as long as he wants, with no reduction. BTDT :-)

See https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/...orking.html#h1

"When you reach full retirement age:
  • Beginning with the month you reach full retirement age, your earnings no longer reduce your benefits, no matter how much you earn."

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
What PartIrish says is correct, but if you and your husband can delay claiming, his monthly benefit will increase each month he delays. But if you two really need the money now, then you'll have to file for benefits. Just be aware that your monthly benefit will be fixed at that amount, (plus any yearly COL increases).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Thanks, folks!

This sounds too good to be true! DH reaches FRA next Feb 14. He is currently employed FT with benefits at a job he likes, low-stress. He's in overall good health. So, as I see it----

Next year, 2019. he just keeps working

Come March, 2019, he also collects his full SSA benefit.

Forgive my ignorance, but I always thought one had to QUIT work in order to apply for SSA benefits Guess not!

Also, as I understand, I will be eligible for spousal benefits, which would be about 1/2 his benefit, or my full benefit, depending on which is the larger---I get the larger amount.

Am I catching on ok here?

I do plan to make an appt for us with SSA soon to discuss all these details, but seems its all in our favor. Thanks, CD-Friends

Old 12-04-2018, 07:57 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
On the delay . . . to give you some guidance, I'll relate my own personal experience.

I retired at age 65 1/2. No real reason for that date, except for personal factors. My FRA is age 66, but I have yet to claim SS benefits, (I am currently 67 1/3). My personal plan is to start SS benefits next February or March, at which time I will be 67 1/2.

By waiting from my FRA till next Feb or Mar, my yearly SS income will have increased about $3,800 per year.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-04-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
On the delay . . . to give you some guidance, I'll relate my own personal experience.

I retired at age 65 1/2. No real reason for that date, except for personal factors. My FRA is age 66, but I have yet to claim SS benefits, (I am currently 67 1/3). My personal plan is to start SS benefits next February or March, at which time I will be 67 1/2.

By waiting from my FRA till next Feb or Mar, my yearly SS income will have increased about $3,800 per year.

Good points to consider

Old 12-04-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Ok, but in our case, he's still working FT, so we would have to consider those earnings for another 1-2 years, as opposed to the increase he would get in SSA benefits..... He currently makes 94K/year.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
MaryLee, it sounds like you are eligible to collect next year also. There may be a way better strategy to consider. Because of your husband's age, he is one of the few still eligible to do a"Restricted Application".

In that scenario you file for SS. Then when he turns 66 he files for half of your Age 66 Social Security. His own SS continues to increase till he claims it (usually at age 70).

When one spouse earns way more than the other, it's best to let that one increase as much as possible, because it's the amount the surviving spouse ends up with.

Do you have any idea how much your age 66 Social Security is?

I literally signed up for this in the last 10 days.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
MaryLee, it sounds like you are eligible to collect next year also. There may be a way better strategy to consider. Because of your husband's age, he is one of the few still eligible to do a"Restricted Application".

In that scenario you file for SS. Then when he turns 66 he files for half of your Age 66 Social Security. His own SS continues to increase till he claims it (usually at age 70).

When one spouse earns way more than the other, it's best to let that one increase as much as possible, because it's the amount the surviving spouse ends up with.

Do you have any idea how much your age 66 Social Security is?

I literally signed up for this in the last 10 days.
I think my SSA would be something like $940 at 66. I am currently 64.

You say you just did this? Isn't that called file and suspend? Or am I confusing that with something else? I thought File & suspend ended last year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement