U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Bragging occurs frequently here.
No, others accusing a poster of bragging (regardless of what that poster has actually said) is what frequently happens here.

Newsflash: people earn a wide range of incomes and have big differences in the amount of money saved. That effects their retirement strategies, and it therefore a valid point of discussion. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 04:13 PM

642 posts, read 531,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, others accusing a poster of bragging (regardless of what that poster has actually said) is what frequently happens here.

Newsflash: people earn a wide range of incomes and have big differences in the amount of money saved. That effects their retirement strategies, and it therefore a valid point of discussion. Get over it.
Please stop deflecting. I'll say it one more last time slowly. People certainly can post or discuss any topic whenever they want regardless of how wealthy or poor they are. What I am saying that people brag. That's all.
The OP in one post brings up the topic of bragging.
Newsflash: People brag. Get over it.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:29 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,164,649 times
Quote:
Please stop deflecting. I'll say it one more last time slowly. People certainly can post or discuss any topic whenever they want regardless of how wealthy or poor they are. What I am saying that people brag. That's all.
I'm not deflecting; you are. The OP only made apologetic reference to bragging after YOU accused him of it in your very first post on this thread (now deleted). You only backed away from that, making conciliatory comments about being happy for his financial success, after multiple other posters called you out for your nasty first post.

Take your envy elsewhere. Your participation has added nothing whatsoever of worth to this discussion.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 AM

642 posts, read 531,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post

On a side note, I seek out any and all "braggarts" on retirement fora. I'm always looking to find out their "How I did it" and see if the choices they made could be overlaid on my retirement planning and positively impact my future bottom line. It's an opportunity to learn and I, for one, appreciate the information and insight. So keep it going! Cheers!
Thanks for acknowledging that "braggarts" do indeed exist here.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM

2,462 posts, read 1,068,971 times
Quote:
Thanks for acknowledging that "braggarts" do indeed exist here.
Braggarts exist here, so do stupid people, and annoying people. But being a polite forum (I hope) we don't call them out on it. That constitutes a personal attack.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM

46 posts, read 19,407 times
Never made over $75000 as a cupel.
What worked for us was 1 house
1 job we loved
1 wife 40yr
pick a partner that is ugly they will never leave you. That's what my wife did.
Have 3m

Old 12-09-2018, 08:44 AM

1,289 posts, read 292,701 times
Quote:
People do brag. We all agree. What you don't know is if the OP was bragging. I read it and heard it in my head as an honest question.

Is there any previous context that would support otherwise?

To me:
"I'm a millionaire in retirement! Here's how I got there" = Not bragging
"I'm a millionaire in retirement! You're not!" = bragging

It's all in the language and how we play back the words in our heads. Again, it didn't seem to me that OP was bragging.

How about we all just accept that others may have it better or worse than us and use or enjoy the information in this fora.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM

1,251 posts, read 592,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
My parents didnít make much my dad worked until past 70 he did not have a choice in his situation it wasnít about delaying SS. Thatís a luxury that I have and he didnít.

As I said there isnít one right or wrong answer. You feel is best for you to delay in case you make it to 95 and get that bigger paycheck from SS later. Then thatís thatís best for you. Others might look at it differently.

As I said wether i end up claiming at 62 or FRA I will be just fine because thankfully thru planning and saving SS will only make a small part of my retirement and not the full amount like my mom.
A lot comes down to how crucial every social security dollar is to the person and how much, in real dollars, you actually come out ahead by waiting. A lot of women with breaks in careers to be family caregivers are on the low end for social security earnings. If waiting almost five years to FRA is going to net someone just a few thousand more dollars, that may be critical to some people and less so to others. I am about to receive my first social security payment at age 62. I have the assets that would allow me to wait, but not the cashflow. With my modest pension and social security combined, I can live on cashflow for my daily needs and only use investment funds for large expenses that might come up. This is what I prefer and what will be easier for a person like me, who has a hard time getting away from the "saver" mentality drilled into me by my parents. Each person must consider their own particular situation and act accordingly.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM

2,798 posts, read 1,002,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
A lot comes down to how crucial every social security dollar is to the person and how much, in real dollars, you actually come out ahead by waiting. A lot of women with breaks in careers to be family caregivers are on the low end for social security earnings. If waiting almost five years to FRA is going to net someone just a few thousand more dollars, that may be critical to some people and less so to others. I am about to receive my first social security payment at age 62. I have the assets that would allow me to wait, but not the cashflow. With my modest pension and social security combined, I can live on cashflow for my daily needs and only use investment funds for large expenses that might come up. This is what I prefer and what will be easier for a person like me, who has a hard time getting away from the "saver" mentality drilled into me by my parents. Each person must consider their own particular situation and act accordingly.
Agree with you wholeheartedly we are in similar situations.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM

71,652 posts, read 71,801,099 times
the irony is those who need the bigger checks from ss likely can't afford to delay without working . those who don't really need the checks because they have enough assets to lay out to delay have that choice to delay or not .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or