U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,098,119 times

Advertisements

I don't think you have to forego special holiday treats unless you have diabetes or some other health problem--just take small portions, enjoy. Then go back to your regular healthy diet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 01:17 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I seriously love holiday baking and making candy. But, again, as usual, I won't be doing any. I have never yet lived in a household where everyone wasn't trying to lose weight or on a diet. Some of my best memories are holiday baking with my mom and grandma. And cracking pounds of nuts for baking with my dad while he watched football games.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:22 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,911,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You mean that we should not celebrate Christmas?
Well, to be a stickler about it, celebrating Christmas has nothing to do with eating or with food.

Old 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,895,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, to be a stickler about it, celebrating Christmas has nothing to do with eating or with food.
Why wasn’t I told this?

My problems are over.

Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 PM

11,027 posts, read 2,736,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I have to make fudge... Two batches -- one for friends and one for me.
I actually lost 40 pounds last year using a daily food diary phone app.

A fellow fudge lover! I'd rather have rich, creamy fudge than Godiva chocolates. What I do, knowing my weakness for the stuff, is make a small portion using half a cup of sugar and divide the other ingredients accordingly. Less caloric damage! Care to share your favorite fudge recipes?

I've counted calories for years using software that also records how much fat, protein, carbs and fiber you consume. I weigh and measure foods because most people underestimate how much they are eating. No cheating my way. People always say "How can you eat that and stay so slim?" They don't really want to do the work, just pretend some people are "lucky."

It's all about calories in, calories burned.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:26 PM

3,143 posts, read 1,451,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
But my wife has been making her famous blackberry truffles and rum cakes.

This may be the year I say the heck with it and ask Santa to consult the big and tall shop.

It's weird. I want to lose weight too and it's not just the exercise but the amount of food I'm eating. I wonder if it has to do with the season. My body knows it's getting cold and is preparing by having me gain more weight. It's the exact opposite in the summer. I don't get hungry as often and don't crave nearly as much. Either way, I'm going to force myself to do more sit-ups. I want a six pack.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Actually, that was my first wife and her damn fruitcake.

But thanks for the advice.

What you can also do is increase your intake of water that way you will feel full quicker and be more likely to eat less of those delicious treats. I need to follow my own advice by the way.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Speak for yourself. With any major holiday, there's always the food factor that gets me really excited. I haven't known anyone to have xmas dinner in a while but if I should find out, that xmas will be a lot about the food. Then again, I haven't had the opportunity to really spend time with family during the holiday as I've had to work every holiday for the last few years with the exception of xmas and even this day doesn't feel like I have totally off because usually have work really early the next day.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM

78 posts, read 65,571 times
It strikes me, every so often, how weird it is to live in a country obsessed with dieting to lose weight with so many people starving or near starving in the world. Isn't it? Oh, believe me, I have been on about every diet that has come down the pike and I would pack it on if I just let go. Right now I am doing OMAD (one meal a day and experience hunger often).

Would a person "normalize" their nutritional needs and it would balance out on its own? That would be great, wouldn't it? I was under the impression I would naturally go to being lean in old age...not happened yet at 68.....

I have read that those who never dieted are usually at a normal weight.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,070,419 times
Quote:
But my wife has been making her famous blackberry truffles and rum cakes.

This may be the year I say the heck with it and ask Santa to consult the big and tall shop.
Yeah, heck, go for it. A week or so eating nice forbidden things isn't going to kill you. If you are obese you might want to curb actually stuffing yourself.

I am diabetic and at Christmas I have chocolates, desserts, treats. And walk around the block after eating. I know my body and allow myself to enjoy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or