U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:13 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,880,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
A doctor on the local news was just discussing this the other day. She said in spite of all the anecdotes one hears, most people only gain on average 1 lb during the month between TGiving and Xmas. So, much adieu about nothing really.

I probly eat more pie and bread-carbs this time of year but still maintain my gym routine so not too worried. Actually lost 3 lbs over the past couple weeks.
Most people only gain a pound. The concern is about ones that do gain more. They shouldn't be ignored just because they are a minority. Sp trying to help and advice is worth some air time. It isn't about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 PM

79 posts, read 65,810 times
This eating once a day called OMAD is really interesting. I am on my second week and lost another 5lb (I need to lose quite a bit) but it really is pretty easy. I drink my coffee with some cream and Splenda several times, water and before I know it, its 4pm and time to eat again. Well, I prepare dinner so I do know its coming. I won't lie, I was pretty hungry off and on but not so much today. Been two weeks. How long will I do this? Well, long as it works and I feel ok! The first 2 weeks certainly can add character to someone, let me tell you! And I keep reading about all the benefits of fasting. Now, if a person is under a doctors care, I wouldn't do it with out telling them.

Maybe this would be a good way to get the extra off after the holidays?

Old 12-08-2018, 02:25 AM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Speak for yourself. With any major holiday, there's always the food factor that gets me really excited. I haven't known anyone to have xmas dinner in a while but if I should find out, that xmas will be a lot about the food. Then again, I haven't had the opportunity to really spend time with family during the holiday as I've had to work every holiday for the last few years with the exception of xmas and even this day doesn't feel like I have totally off because usually have work really early the next day.
This is why I do the partial fast at LEAST once or twice a week. Between Thanksgiving and New Years day, I eat many foods that are not part of my usual diet. I absolutely love to cook and bake. My normal diet, as a mature person, does not involve baked goods, creamy casseroles, lots of cheese, bread, vegetables prepared in traditional and more fattening ways, biscuits, rolls, wine and drinks etc. And I want to eat that stuff.

I DO associate certain foods with holidays. The semi-fast each week keeps of the weight and acts as a cleanse. I also eat less because of it.

Food and holidays are very related for MANY people.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:38 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,880,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyf View Post
This eating once a day called OMAD is really interesting. I am on my second week and lost another 5lb (I need to lose quite a bit) but it really is pretty easy. I drink my coffee with some cream and Splenda several times, water and before I know it, its 4pm and time to eat again. Well, I prepare dinner so I do know its coming. I won't lie, I was pretty hungry off and on but not so much today. Been two weeks. How long will I do this? Well, long as it works and I feel ok! The first 2 weeks certainly can add character to someone, let me tell you! And I keep reading about all the benefits of fasting. Now, if a person is under a doctors care, I wouldn't do it with out telling them.

I am not a big fan of OMAD because it isn't sustainable for most people. It's hard to do and it can complicate life as some social activities are meals that don't fit your schedule. Anyway, from what I have read/heard, it has a really high rate of rescission; people stop doing it at goal, return to old habits and gain the weight back. However, if it was a short period of excess for someone who hasn't had a problem keeping a healthy weight, short term fixes to erase the effects of the indulgences usually seem to work out okay.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM

13,684 posts, read 8,589,783 times
Quote:

Bless you for giving it all ya got. BOL!
I fight the weight gain with a breakfast of oatmeal. I use steel cut oats that should take 30 minutes, but I soak them the night before so all I have to do is turn the burner on for about 7-8 minutes.
I'm good for all day with that breakfast.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 AM

13,237 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Bless you for giving it all ya got. BOL!
I fight the weight gain with a breakfast of oatmeal. I use steel cut oats that should take 30 minutes, but I soak them the night before so all I have to do is turn the burner on for about 7-8 minutes.
I'm good for all day with that breakfast.
The steel cut oats I purchase from Costco can be cooked in the microwave for a few minutes.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times
Quote:
It strikes me, every so often, how weird it is to live in a country obsessed with dieting to lose weight with so many people starving or near starving in the world. Isn't it? Oh, believe me, I have been on about every diet that has come down the pike and I would pack it on if I just let go. Right now I am doing OMAD (one meal a day and experience hunger often).

Would a person "normalize" their nutritional needs and it would balance out on its own? That would be great, wouldn't it? I was under the impression I would naturally go to being lean in old age...not happened yet at 68.....

I have read that those who never dieted are usually at a normal weight.

I think America has long been characterized as the 'land of the obese,' rather than the 'land of obsessive dieters.'

The thing that finally got us dieting this time, in addition to knowing we were overweight for our age, was a cruise we took in October. It was after the school year started, so the ship was 'largely' filled with older folks. We've been on many cruises, but, never one with so many older, morbidly obese "grazers."

The thing that really sealed the deal for us was that almost every surface on the ship was covered in mirrors ... and everywhere we looked, including on the elevator, we saw a pair of older, overweight people staring back at us. Talk about no where to hide! -- At least it snapped us out of our 'denial mindset.'

Old 12-08-2018, 09:05 AM

13,237 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
I am not a big fan of OMAD because it isn't sustainable for most people. It's hard to do and it can complicate life as some social activities are meals that don't fit your schedule. Anyway, from what I have read/heard, it has a really high rate of rescission; people stop doing it at goal, return to old habits and gain the weight back. However, if it was a short period of excess for someone who hasn't had a problem keeping a healthy weight, short term fixes to erase the effects of the indulgences usually seem to work out okay.
I don’t know what OMAD stand for but I’ve read about people are fasting on the internet. I’m not sure I want to fast, but have a plate of steamed vegetables so it’s close to it. I have light gravy sauce with shiitake mushroom as my protein. Pretty tasty.
I can sustain it long term too.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-08-2018 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 09:27 AM

2,106 posts, read 720,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I donít know what OMAD stand for but Iíve read people are fasting. Iím not sure I want to fast, but have a plate of steam vegetables come close to it. I have light gravy sauce with shiitake mushroom as my protein. Pretty tasty.
I can sustain it long term too.
My diet is VERY heavy on steamed or stir-fried vegetables and very little animal protein. I enjoy the traditional foods with family at Christmas and Thanksgiving but then get home to my refrigerator full of veggies and my pantry full of beans, quinoa and bulghur, and get back to normal.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:44 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,692,986 times
I eat the same way during the holidays that I eat the rest of the year, in moderation with a mostly plant-based diet, very few rich foods or desserts other than fresh fruit. No one can force me to eat anything. Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or