U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 4,738,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
For my husband and me -- we have the same goals -- it would have:

1. Enough money to support us until we die.

2. Living in the location we want in the kind of house we want, and living there until we die.

3. Good food and wine, and the ability to enjoy both.

4. Good mental and physical health until we are 80, and mostly good health after that until we die.

5. Enjoyable pastimes.

6. No bothersome or annoying relatives or neighbors.

7. Contentment with what we have -- with no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't have.

And all of this to be followed by a peaceful and painless death.

What would your "happy retirement" be?

Seems standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 12:31 PM

6,538 posts, read 1,339,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Seems standard.
Yes, I think so, for MOST people, but it is always interesting to me to read opinions from people who have different ideas from mine.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:44 PM

4,477 posts, read 4,738,767 times
Quote:
Yes, I think so, for MOST people, but it is always interesting to me to read opinions from people who have different ideas from mine.

"why soitenly"

Old 12-05-2018, 01:23 PM

2,512 posts, read 1,329,662 times
I’m only in my mid-forties but I hope we are able to stay in our current family home. We have already paid it off but we will need a savings buffer for property taxes. It’s a large-ish home with lots of space. My parents moved into a condo at retirement and things were never the same again as far as holidays and stuff (I don’t blame them and I would never tell them that!) I just love the idea of having your kids bring their kids to the home they grew up in and having enough space for everyone

Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 PM

8,760 posts, read 10,832,098 times
Currently retired 10-years (71). My wife of 50-years and I have similar goals

1) Continued active, strong, personal relationship with God
2) Healthy, Christian children and grandchildren
2) Good physical and mental health
3) Mentally and physically healthy children and grandchildren
4) Sustained financial security for self and wife
5) Sense of productive contribution to family and life
7) Good family, friend and other relationships
8) Enjoy watching 5 grandkids grow-up (8-18)
9) Maintain functional level of eyesight and hearing
10)

Old 12-05-2018, 02:20 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,661 times
This is a good list but I could be happy with much less.

Quote:

Agree. And some extra for travel at least in my 60's and early 70's would be nice but not essentai. And enough to help for services in maintaining home or home healthcare if needed.

2. Living in the location we want in the kind of house we want, and living there until we die.
I would be happy moving into independent senior housing in my 80's or even my late 70's. Maybe assisted living if a good facility. A nursing home would not make me happy.

I love good food but have struggled with a weight problem since childhood. So have to limit it and doubt that will ever change.

4. Good mental and physical health until we are 80, and mostly good health after that until we die.
I expect some limitations even as early as my 70's. If I am not in bad pain and can drive or maintain my independence, I'll be happy.

5 Enjoyable pastimes.
Agree.

I thought relatives had to be annoying. I want to be close to family and can put up with problem relatives as long as they are not hateful or totally wacko. I want them to be healthy and financially secure but some are making bad decisions and not preparing for their future. Having to help financially support them would not make me happy although I would be ok with providing some assistance.

7. Contentment with what we have -- with no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't
OK

And all of this to be followed by a peaceful and painless death.

What would your "happy retirement" be?

Old 12-05-2018, 03:38 PM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:

5. Enjoyable pastimes.

7. Contentment with what we have -- with no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't have.
Someone wrote that this seemed to be a pretty standard sort of list. Not to me.

As to 1. having enough money and 3. having good health, these are basic needs. They don't mean happiness but there absence would likely prevent happiness.

2. I have never become attached to a house nor wanted to live in the same place until I die. Maybe I was just born without an appropriate nesting instinct.

3. I have become less and less interested in food, although my appetite is still larger than needed. I have about given up on drinking. At a minimum it just seems to addle the brain and to excess it leads to all sorts of problems.

5. I don't do much that would be called a "pastime". I do have lots of passionate interests and I work hard towards achieving my goals in life. Some are enjoyable; some are not.

6. I have never had issues with bothersome relatives or neighbors. I avoid people that would fall in that category. Instead what is missing from the list is not absence of people but connections with family and friends.

7. Contentment has never been one of my goals in life. It is more a lack of contentment that pushes me forward.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:47 PM

6,538 posts, read 1,339,947 times
Just FYI --

When I posted, I was not looking for criticisms of my list (or anyone else's list, either). I was only looking for personal opinions from posters as to what would make THEM happy. To state the obvious, people are different with different tastes and priorities, and someone's idea of a good and happy life or retirement might not be the same for someone (or anyone) else.

I just thought it might be interesting and maybe fun to see what everyone thinks about this subject as it concerns them.

Last edited by katharsis; 12-05-2018 at 04:36 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 03:58 PM

8,389 posts, read 9,134,430 times
Happy retirement? I’m getting there. Discovering what matters and pursuing it. We are ok financially and living where we plan to spend to spend the rest of our live. So there are a couple of factors. I think what constitutes a good retirement is different for each person. I have zero interest in cruises, RVimg or seeing the world. I live in vacation land, so that helps. I like to hike, bike and ski-easy to do where I live. But what I realized a few months back is my most satisfying thing is my relationship with God, people and the local community. These three things are what I am working on. And playing the Mandolin.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM

7,608 posts, read 4,680,291 times
Pie-in-the-sky-wise, one of the things that would make me happy in retirement would be an utterly trustworthy financial manager who would monitor our entire financial picture, warn us about impending extraordinary expenses, work with a tax advisor to make sure we don't do anything stupid, make sound investments in accordance with our risk tolerance, provide complete transparency and collect a reasonable fee.

I am probably dreaming, especially about the trustworthy and reasonable fee part. But DH doesn't like to be bothered with money details, so it usually falls on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or