Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 09:45 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

For my husband and me -- we have the same goals -- it would have:

1. Enough money to support us until we die.

2. Living in the location we want in the kind of house we want, and living there until we die.

3. Good food and wine, and the ability to enjoy both.

4. Good mental and physical health until we are 80, and mostly good health after that until we die.

5. Enjoyable pastimes.

6. No bothersome or annoying relatives or neighbors.

7. Contentment with what we have -- with no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't have.

And all of this to be followed by a peaceful and painless death.

What would your "happy retirement" be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 10:04 AM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
For my husband and me -- we have the same goals -- it would have:

1. Enough money to support us until we die.

2. Living in the location we want in the kind of house we want, and living there until we die.

3. Good food and wine, and the ability to enjoy both.

4. Good mental and physical health until we are 80, and mostly good health after that until we die.

5. Enjoyable pastimes.

6. No bothersome or annoying relatives or neighbors.

7. Contentment with what we have -- with no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't have.

And all of this to be followed by a peaceful and painless death.

What would your "happy retirement" be?
^ The above, plus the ability and financial means to travel frequently and live within close proximity to the beach. Add in, the FREEDOM to do what we want, when we want, and not be tied to someone else's schedule!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
The one I'm living suits me fine. I live in a nice house on a lake. Most of my neighbours have feathers, fur or fins. A town with all the amenities is a half-hour away. My health is decent and hopefully will remain so for a few years yet. I spend most of the time alone but my gf visits several times a year for a couple-three weeks at a time. It works. No complaints. I feel very fortunate.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
What I'm doing right now, although I wish for more company (as ever, so no surprise).
I am learning how to belong in a community in my new town in Colorado and repairing my health after years of high stress and night shifts. I have a view of the mountains out my front windows and a decent basic income.

It will be a realization of a dream if I can get a horse life together next season. I know it's not an old age plan but it's mine at 65.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,540 times
I'm hoping for good health and financial security in retirement. Everything else is complementary to that combination.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:54 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
It would be great if I could get dependable people at a realistic cost to pickup the slack around my homestead...life would be so much easier.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I've got a ways to go before I retire, but here's what I'm hoping for:

1) Paid off house - whether it's the one we currently live in, or we sell and downsize into a home cheap enough to buy in full with no mortgage.

2) Paid off vehicles - my hope is to pay cash for brand new vehicles for both of us right before we retire so that the maintenance on them is VERY LOW for the first 8-9 years of retirement

3) Kids and grandkids nearby (within 1-3 hours' drive) who want to be around us and visit us from time to time, but still allow for our own independence versus caretaking of the next generation

4) Good health to allow for part-time work and volunteering 10-15 hours a week to stay active and involved in the community

5) Enough quarters scraped together to allow for a couple vacations per year - they don't have to be big vacations, but getaways to places we've always wanted to visit and never had time to do while we were working

Old 12-05-2018, 11:23 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
You hit all the points for me as well.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Pretty much just what I have...

1) A nice home in a good place. It doesn't need to be the same place forever, but if I move again it will only be to a better place, to whatever kind of home I want at THAT time.

2) Multiple streams of income that can be tapped (or not) as necessary to maintain a nice (but not extravagant) standard of living.

3) Enough money left at the end of the month to put a bit away for travel splurges and fun purchases once in a while.

4) Enough of a nest egg to cover emergencies and big expenditures when needed (remodeling, moving, etc) without any worries.

5) Good health for as long as possible.

And most important to me....

6) My loving hubby to be my partner and keep me company.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:23 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Good health is #1 for me. All the money in the world is worthless if you can't enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement