U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:51 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,360 times

Advertisements

As a matter of convenience I'm going with "The Cloud" and online services. Between the two I have my music, photos, movies, books all available at my fingertips without the clutter of physical media
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 06:12 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,086,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thus thread is born out of the thread about "what invention/technology did you not see coming in 1968"...

So... what modern convenience and or technology that exists today at the end of 2018 could you NOT do without?

I am quite fond of indoor plumbing, washing machines and clothes dryers, air conditioning, vise-grip pliers, and air-ride suspension, all of which were invented before 1968. Assuming that dehumidifiers were invented before 1968, there is nothing that has been produced since 1968 that I couldn't live without.

But with all that said, you'd have one heck of a fight on your hands if you threatened to take away my smartphone with Google Maps and satellite view. Although I didn't have it when I first started trucking, it does make my work life much, much easier and safer.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:32 PM

6,069 posts, read 9,533,605 times
CAT scan, literally, since it saved my life last June. Otherwise they would have been pushing antibiotics into me for 'pneumonia' until I died of heart failure from the pulmonary embolisms.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM

564 posts, read 266,991 times
Air-conditioning, I couldn't live in Texas without it.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 PM

1,073 posts, read 810,154 times
A cell phone of any sort has pretty much become a necessity, so I guess my cell phone.

Simplistically, water and electric at the barn. I spent a lot of years feeding horses with a flashlight after I got home from work, and carrying warm water to them during the winter.

My retirement barn is simple and small but I don't need a flashlight to feed and I now have heated water vessels so I no longer have to bust ice

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM

3,977 posts, read 1,116,597 times
Previous poster nailed it: Microwave and internet.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 603,720 times
I can live without anything & will find a workaround. Throughout my life, I've lived in apts in the northeast with no heat & southeastern apts where I couldn't afford to turn on the a/c. The 1st car I've had with a/c is my current, which is now 8-yrs old & I've had varying cars for years in freezing locales with broken heaters. I've gone carless for 13-yrs & walked in any weather, made my own suits & eaten once/day out of necessity for years.

So, although I'd prefer not to experience any of the aforementioned every again, I'll manage, no matter what. Therefore, I'm finding it hard to answer, cuz I come up with a solution for each item I name...

No phone... use a free app on your laptop
No laptop... go to the library
No printer... copy shop or library
No pots/pans/stove... crockpot
No coffee pot... simmer in a pot on the stove

If forced to choose something, being practical, I'd say I need a computer, since that's the way one finds jobs these days & I do tons of research. I'd like to add phone to it, but you could use the computer's phone app, although not ideal, if doing a phone interview. My eyes have never been good enough to use a Smartphone for everything, like job searching via that small screen. I'd add espresso maker as a 2nd.

Being frivolous, I'd say GPS. I can use a map, poorly, can scribble down directions like in the old days, but I find it frustrating due to my ever lacking sense of direction & a GPS, with traffic assist, makes my life far less stressful. I'd rather go without heat in the car than a GPS.

Even then, I'll manage without any of the above.

Central a/c & heating in the apt makes my life nice though. I consider it technology, since I spent most of my life in flats with space heaters in every other room. I hate to be temperature uncomfortable at home & refuse to be.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 PM

21,176 posts, read 11,797,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I like all the technology and don't want to live without any of it.

I remember the old days--this is better.
This. I'm not giving up any of it. And I'm looking forward to see what else comes down the road, because I'm sure there will be new things I can't think of right now that will also become must haves.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:01 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,059,960 times
Are microwaves modern? They've been around since the 70s. I couldn't live without my smartphone or my tablet. My smart TV, my gas fireplace or my hand-held shower. Alexa and Sirius Radio, not so much.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:41 PM

611 posts, read 367,565 times
Default modern medicine

antibiotics
vaccines
blood pressure medicine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or