U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:51 PM

614 posts, read 186,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Travel mugs that keep stuff cold or hot.

You aren't kidding, most folks don't realize the genius of those things.

You put hot stuff in; it keeps it hot.

You put cold stuff in, it keeps it cold.

How does it KNOW????

(My old boss, a mechanical engineer, used to love that one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 11:26 PM

8,416 posts, read 9,168,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thus thread is born out of the thread about "what invention/technology did you not see coming in 1968"...

So... what modern convenience and or technology that exists today at the end of 2018 could you NOT do without?

A dishwasher? A microwave? Personal Computer ? Smart TV? GPS?

I could not do without my smart phone!. It acts as and replaces: my phone, my camera, my GPS device, my maps, almost totally replaces my personal computer , my watch, my calendar, my dictionary, my encyclopedia,
and so much more. I rarely use the computer anymore. I use my smartphone to do almost everything i do on the computer except type or copy long documentation or letters. All in my hand!!

So..what modern convenience can you NOT LIVE without?

( this might tell us what invention is the "best" from this or last century)

My iPhone is a top on my list. (Typing on it as we speak) it’s my telephone and so
much more, but if one is refering to “modern conviences” gosh anything from electronic lighting, indoor plumbing, motor cars and anything invented after 1910.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:31 PM

2,926 posts, read 1,598,577 times
The internet, I can hardly imagine life before it anymore let alone without it ever again.

Also air conditioning - it changed the world too!

Old 12-08-2018, 12:30 AM

19,913 posts, read 18,921,677 times
Internet but not smartphone.
Dishwasher.
Washer. Can live without a dryer but to send older people to haul their laundry to a laundromat is inhumane, imho.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 AM

1,036 posts, read 790,543 times
Air conditioning, along with OTC allergy medicines that actually work (Nasalcrom, Nasacort), has really improved the quality of life of this allergy sufferer.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 AM

662 posts, read 313,762 times
Indoor plumbing.
A/C
Internet.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:28 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,470,358 times
Judging from the noises emanating from an adjacent hotel room, I'd say the other guests can't live without the following. Don't click on it unless you really want to know.

Spoiler
Battery operated sex toys.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,160,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
Imagine it's 3am and you 'gotta go'. It's -10* outside and you can't hold it. You'd be using that internet connection to find a place in the FL Keys! I do agree that high speed internet is pretty awesome tho.
Hey, with internet connection I can find a plumber to install indoor plumbing whenever I am tired of outdoor facility ;-)

Old 12-08-2018, 09:47 AM

1,324 posts, read 840,354 times
  1. Cell phone
  2. Internet, and of course some kind of computer
  3. Air conditioning / furnace
  4. A car so I can go wherever and whenever
  5. And of course, washer/dryer, dishwasher, stove and fridge!

Old 12-08-2018, 11:05 AM

1,678 posts, read 585,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Internet but not smartphone.
Dishwasher.
Washer. Can live without a dryer but to send older people to haul their laundry to a laundromat is inhumane, imho.
Totally agree with you on the internet/phone thing.

I can remember my mom washing everything on a scrub board in the kitchen sink, hanging them outside on one of those inverted-umbrella shaped dryers, and then setting up an ironing board in the kitchen afterward. And no, we were not poor; my dad worked for NCR and had a side job as a photographer. We lived in a typical 1950s Levitt neighborhood in the suburb of a major city. But for some reason we didn't have a washing machine.

It was probably the late 1950s or early 60s when my mom finally got a washing machine .. but no dryer! The washing machine went into the basement next to the heating equipment. So she still had to hang clothes outdoors, and in freezing weather they were hung on clotheslines in the basement. We had oil heat, like everyone else, which meant the either shutting off the burner to avoid soot getting on the clean clothes as they dried, or leaving it on and shaking any soot off afterward. I think it was the late 1960s before my mom finally got a clothes dryer. She never had a dishwasher; no room for it in the kitchen.

I hate the new "Energy Star" dishwashers. I have one but use it only as a spare dish drying rack, LOL. I wash all dishes etc by hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or