U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:04 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,381,010 times

Advertisements

GPS.

Imagine going back to street maps.

What's a "road atlas"?

Remember stopping to ask for directions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:29 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,538,731 times
I use street maps all the time, I like to see where I'm going.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:43 PM

13,221 posts, read 6,320,879 times
I used to like maps, plus I remember the street names better.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:24 PM

8,886 posts, read 2,758,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Thus thread is born out of the thread about "what invention/technology did you not see coming in 1968"...

So... what modern convenience and or technology that exists today at the end of 2018 could you NOT do without?

A dishwasher? A microwave? Personal Computer ? Smart TV? GPS?

I could not do without my smart phone!. It acts as and replaces: my phone, my camera, my GPS device, my maps, almost totally replaces my personal computer , my watch, my calendar, my dictionary, my encyclopedia,
and so much more. I rarely use the computer anymore. I use my smartphone to do almost everything i do on the computer except type or copy long documentation or letters. All in my hand!!

So..what modern convenience can you NOT LIVE without?

( this might tell us what invention is the "best" from this or last century)

Internet!

Old 12-09-2018, 08:37 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
Electricity. Without it mostly everything else is impossible.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:12 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
The only "modern" convenience that I must have is modern dentristry. I am *all* about the 1920s and could easily live in that time but high-speed dental drills and the other accoutrements make life a lot better.

I've written several books and articles about early 20th Century architecture, and I really wish I could live in that time. I wouldn't miss any of our modern things.
OP here, care to elaborate on the titles of these books?

Are they still in Publication?

I ask as my small upstate town has a front street and main street filled with big Victorian houses ( like 4500sqft of them)

And Binghamton NY itself has many large mansions of the era long ago too lining front, main and court street s. They actually, in their settings, dont look so big, until you set foot inside one. Then you find out the attic, with small windows from the outside, actually houses a 18' ceilinged Ball room! ( in the ones open as museums), for example. Some built with "modern convenience " of late 1800s bathroom, some built with an external "cooling wall" where air circulates around the home in summer so as to not be hot in summer, a form of early air conditioning.
Huge firplaced and cast iron stoved and ovened kitchens in the basement.

Ah yes they are looking average looking on the outside. But get inside, and its rooms, anterrooms and halls ARE huge.

Not as glorious perhaps as tye mansions in Newport RI. But none the less, for a regular living home....

If only we could afford the taxes on such property, lol.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:42 PM

16,349 posts, read 10,334,620 times
my 94% efficient furnace

cancer diagnosis and treatments (literally wouldn't be alive without them)

Interesting what some call essential others think of as luxuries.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 AM

604 posts, read 272,944 times
Internet
Air conditioning
Indoor plumbing
Water softener
Spandex

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 12-10-2018 at 05:22 AM..

Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
my 94% efficient furnace

cancer diagnosis and treatments (literally wouldn't be alive without them)

Interesting what some call essential others think of as luxuries.
Yes, I've only had relatively minor medical issues, but even something as minor as a broken bone could be very serious a hundred years ago.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,814,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
Over a year ago, we backed out of an offer to buy a very nice house which met almost all of our house search criteria except having high speed Internet connection. We were willing to consider the option to connect to the Internet through a cellphone but the cellphone receptions were very poor too!

Of course we can live without broadband internet or any internet connection but it would be a major inconvenience and disruption to our 'way' of living.

Our current internet connection is not very fast (only 10Mbps wireless internet vs the 50Mbps fiber optic internet which we had in NY). However, it is sufficient for us to use Magic Jack VoIP and Roku/Smart TV. So we have internet, phone and TV for a very cheap price of $55 a month.

The internet is our window and door to the world. We can pretty much get everything that we need or want (news, weather, entertainment, shopping, research, communication, get help, make arrangement for transportation etc.) with few single clicks. I would gladly trade indoor plumbing to a good, reliable internet connection ;-)
Up here in Jessie Gap we use Satellite for TV and Internet, Verizon cell service for phone/data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or