U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 AM

10,387 posts, read 9,397,617 times

Advertisements

I do not miss working, the stress, the corporate BS . . .

however, I do miss the paycheck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:03 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,116,683 times
I retired 11 years ago, from a company I worked 38 years. I miss the work it was enjoyable and interesting and miss the people too. What I do not miss is no control of my time, too many hours on the clock with calls home from Asia any day and the stress of running a group that had to cost less each year as the business grew. We did it but it was high stress.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Location: Currently in CT but have recently started construction for our retirement home in NH
291 posts, read 232,577 times
I totally agree with many of the posters above. I enjoyed my job and stayed with the same company for 31 years. I also retired at age 57 (seven years ago) and do not miss going to work at all. Due to the industry I was in (power generation engineering) there are plenty of opportunities to do contract work for pretty much any duration (weekly, monthly or even long term) and the pay is excellent, but I have too many outside interests to even consider going back. Hopefully you'll find something you enjoy and still be able to make that early retirement date. Good luck.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:17 PM

120 posts, read 59,265 times
I don't miss my old job, but I had always thought that I'd return to some sort of employment out of boredom. 3+ years later, and I haven't gotten that bored, yet.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:28 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,850 times
There is saying usually said about ex wives and husbands but could apply to work "I miss it but my aim is getting better"

Old 12-10-2018, 06:02 PM

83 posts, read 57,314 times
I got pretty lucky, went to work for a company after college and stayed there 33 years. I was eligible for full retirement and gladly took it. I wasn't ready to quit working but I wanted to do something different. I went and got my real estate license and have been having a ball. 33 years of corporate BS was plenty.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 AM

3,258 posts, read 4,486,144 times
No. I don’t miss working at all. My life and self worth were never tied up in work though I loved my job. Love being retired!

Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,815,386 times
Does anybody here miss working?

Nobody I can see.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 PM

1,777 posts, read 572,301 times
Zero, zilch, nada, not even a smidgeon.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:09 PM

1,317 posts, read 991,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysBeachin View Post
Long post coming if you have the time--it's slow at work anyway. I can understand how the OP feels. I'm almost 37 and have gone from job to job, and none have been really great. (FWIW, those of you that know me on here recently, I changed my username for more anonymity...started with a J and ended with an L). Here's the rundown of all the stuff I've done in only half of my working life trying to find my niche but still haven't.

I've always loved traveling and staying in hotels, so during college, I became a front desk clerk so I could get in the industry and have a job that allowed flexible hours and me to study during the down time. It was a love/hate job. I'm an introvert but got used to dealing with people, but it got old fast. The hospitality industry doesn't pay well, nor did I want to constantly relocate for positions, so I got out of that when I graduated.

I took the 1st corporate job out of college I was offered, even though I didn't want it. It paid insultingly low, but I needed health insurance (back then you were booted off your parents' policy when you graduated). I stayed there 6 months so I could find a job while I had one. That was my first distaste of corporate hell, and I wanted nothing to do with it. Then, I decided I wanted to pursue my interest in cars. I didn't want to sell them, working on them is a hobby (and something I'm not very good at!); so I found a job working in the service department for a dealership. It paid more than the corporate job, and I loved not being stuck in cubicle prison. It was the most stressful job I've ever had, but I loved being around cars all day. I dealt with rude clients as it was a high-line dealership. I had meltdowns daily, hours were long, good boss, but nobody is happy to take their car to the shop; so I got out of that. Then, I went to work doing part office/part field work at an engineering company. I really liked that job, but work slowed down; it was a dead-end job with low pay. I had the layoff fear looming.

Next, I got my first "real" job with a large company in audit work. I traveled all over the US, met a lot of great people and coworkers (still friends with several). I got raises and huge bonuses. I stayed in fancy hotels and ate well. I thought I was finally "making it" in my career, but I had the boss from hell. She ruined that job, but I stuck with it for 6 years since I felt like I was finally doing well. Finally, air travel burnt me out (it's hell), and the company got bought out. I saw the writing on the wall and left--taking, yet, another job I didn't want but I had no other offers. Good thing I did because that department vanished. Stayed at that job a year, terrible commute, didn't like the work, and found a job closer that I liked--in procurement. I discovered during audit that I liked that area of business. I didn't mind that job, but the company was rapidly growing and my job duties transitioned; then I was laid off. I went to work for a small construction company afterward. I loved the coworkers, the work itself, and the flexible schedule, but the owner was crazy and about bankrupted himself. No one stayed there more than a year except only a few people. There are now less than 10 in the office, so I'd have gotten laid off there too. Owner was late on bills, had office up for sale, etc. Left there and am at my current job in cubicle prison for, yet, another large company. I'm left alone, but I'm bored out of my mind.

OP, I've been fortunate to be able to jump around to various careers and industries, and I still don't know what I want to do, other than being retired. Work is a means to an end, but see if you can find something tolerable. Also, know that no job is secure. You can see that from my various job history, plus I refused to stay somewhere if I was that miserable. Constantly running away from layoffs and buyouts is no fun either. I've suffered depression my whole life as well, so I understand how you feel. My price tag on my personal time is exponentially higher than my wage rate. I focus on spending time with my wife and doing things I enjoy on my time off.

What I've gathered from my experience is that I've found out that I don't like working at large companies due to dumb rules, politics, unnecessary red tape, etc. Small companies give you the chance to stand out, accomplish more tasks, challenge you, and have more autonomy. I like having a flex schedule, and I like working in a position where I'm part office/part field. I can't stand sitting in one place all day. Some interaction with others is good, as long as it's not dealing with the general public. Not sure if I can ever find this arrangement again, but I've learned to know what I absolutely hate. I still can't wait until I retire, though. Good luck. You're young, so experience as much as you can to find out what you like. It's taken me this long, and I still haven't totally figured it out. It's probably too late because I'm at the age where I have to quit job-jumping, so that's going to be tough.
I spent from 17 to 22 hopping around the medical field before I got out. Now Iím a public school teacher in an above-average pay district (the pay is right at 47k a year despite being a low cost of living area), and I guess in some ways its less bad than my experiences in the medical field, but I still have reservations, and feel like this career move was a little bit of a let down compared to what I expected. The thing that will keep me from moving is the incentive structure where Iím working now is the longer you are here, the better benefits you get and the more job security you have. If I just stay in Louisianaís public school system, I can work my way through the system with a full pension at 62, which is still young enough I could do something else if I wanted...though Iím not sure Iíd want to. Iíve started having these episodes where my heartrate accelerates, I roll my jaw forward and clench down on my front teeth, and feel a copmulsion to pace in a small circle several times a day. I feel a mix of anger and anxiety when this happens and Iíve chipped my teeth doing this. I seriously think work is making me crazy sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or