U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 08:42 PM

1,303 posts, read 985,423 times

Advertisements

Iíve always looked forward to retirement since it didnít take me long to realize I hate work in general. I hate self-employment and standard employment for different reasons I wonít go into. Now that Iíve settled into a career I tolerate fairly well, I go to work and do my duties as well as I can with the thought in the back of my mind I can go home and enjoy my toy poodles. I save religiously for retirement and am constantly makimg decisions towards what will net me a higher standard of living in retirement. Iím 22, and if I play my cards right and am diligent with my planning and changing my plan as needed, I can retire when Iím 62 (I had a bumpy start but am netting good money, now). I look forward to taking my retirement money some place with a low cost of living (likely abroad), so I can stretch the retirement longer. I bottle up my bitter feelings all day, and it will be nice to finally escape from stress. The only way I could maybe plan better for retirement is taking better is taking better care of my health since my other relaxation activity besides poodle time is cramming my face with junk food and sitting around. I expect my personal reaction to leaving work will be more of a ďgood riddanceĒ feeling, but Iíve heard otherwise from some people. I was curious how common it is to miss work once you retire?

Its funny, in a way. Iím the guy at work everybody thinks loves his work, since I compartmentalize so much. Nobody ever sees how bitter and upset I stay the vast majority of the time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 PM

1,632 posts, read 557,035 times
All during my working life, my attitude about work fell into the relatively narrow range between "I have to put up with it in order to pay the bills" and "OMG how many years to go before I can retire?" ... so I know what you mean. And I too was the one who outwardly was very dedicated, etc etc yadda yadda. They never guessed how much I hated that 9-5 M-F grind and all that went with it. It was an Academy Award level "performance", I guess, LOL

I am sure there were and are people who truly loved what they did for a living but that was never me. I never had any concrete idea of what I 'wanted' to do, and by the time I realized what I probably would have been very good at, I was too old to start from the required Square One to eventually end up there.

In short, I hated work and am glad to be rid of it, hopefully forever. And although my life is more quiet and sedentary than most seem to be, it suits me and I have never felt bored. There is nothing quite like being in control of your own space and schedule.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:59 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
I frequent this forum because most of the folks here are near my age.

That being said, I love working and probably will never retire willingly. If I am forced to do so I will certainly miss it.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:04 PM

13,877 posts, read 25,302,878 times
Work was a means to an end for me. My dream was always to retire before I was all used up. And I made it!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:11 PM

507 posts, read 302,965 times
You sound like me when I was young. Work was a means to an end. Pay the bills SAVE as much as I can so I can quit as early as I can.

Quote:
Its funny, in a way. I’m the guy at work everybody thinks loves his work, since I compartmentalize so much. Nobody ever sees how bitter and upset I stay the vast majority of the time.
Yes, sounds like me ha ha. Maybe I wouldn't say "bitter". But most people only thought they knew me. Everyone knew" I was a cheery guy who was the resident "expert" and all that jazz as if I really loved it.

Thank God that's over with. Now I only have to contend with certain ill prepared relatives who squandered their own opportunities and are old and sick and broke instead of busting their humps like I had to.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:36 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
....... Iím 22....
............... Iím the guy at work everybody thinks loves his work, since I compartmentalize so much. Nobody ever sees how bitter and upset I stay the vast majority of the time.

At 22 I suggest you find a career that is more enjoyable. Not every day was joyous, but I found a career that had meaning. I worked in healthcare and the outcome of my work helped others. Later I moved up in management and helped improve the quality of services. I took an active interest in managing for the welfare of patients, for the benefit of my organization and for the other employees who worked under me.

You should be able to do better than being bitter and upset and barely getting by. In addition to looking for a more satisfying career you might want to take a look at yourself. You might begin by taking responsibility for the situation you are in and for your unhappiness.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 PM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
Does anybody here miss working?

Good Lord no.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,542,533 times
In a word, no. Nada. Nope.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:00 PM

3,958 posts, read 1,106,630 times
At 22, you absolutely need to find a career that you enjoy enough to not obsess about surviving the next 40 years till you can retire. I lucked into a career that I loved a lot, kept the family fed and clothed, and didn't mind at all the 31 years it took to reach retirement. I was also lucky enough to afford retiring at 57. Work can be far more then a means to an end if you find the right career. I really hope you find that career!

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
In a word, no. Nada. Nope.
Age 68, retired two years. Do I miss working; NOPE. I do miss some of my coworkers. It’s kinda too bad worker friendships end when you leave work, but is just life. My job was fine until the last year. But my career didn’t define me. It simply gave me the mean$ to live my life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or