U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 AM

6,313 posts, read 4,760,180 times

Advertisements

We have more critters in our neighborhood than I want. Racoons regularly raid the garbage and make a mess. Deer have all killed off some of our shrubs and others are near death. My wife got Lyme's Disease due to a tick bite she got in the backyard. This year I have had it. I found some fencing to deter the deer and I just researched insecticides. This Spring I will start regular spraying. We will have a silent Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 AM

4,842 posts, read 1,997,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Do you remember how suddenly the natural world changed with
'The Silent Spring" in the '60's? As a child, we could always find a toad to play with. Rainy summer nights with a flashlight yielded a couple dozen foot-long nightcrawlers in the yard, for bait. Ladybugs on the kitchen table, a robin's nest on the windowsill, a summer night with mayflies so thick you couldn't drive through them and ankle-deep under streetlights in the morning, rabbit tracks through every fresh snow.

What do you remember, that nobody ever sees anymore?,

I remember approaching my property in the dark during a rain storm that lasted all day. Well in this darkness there were dozens of frogs hopping across the road. Their large eyes reflected the beams from my head lights. For the younger among you, it was a scene right out of Avatar. For you boomers, it was like watching Mitch Miller on acid.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I remember Japanese Beetles being all over my mother's roses and the clothes she hung out on the line.....I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

Hmm, interesting. I hadn't considered Japanese Beetles, but you might be right about this. Twenty years ago we had infestations of them every year. Everyone in the neighborhood would put out those bags with the lures in them. And you would go outside every few days to pick them off the roses, because even with the bags there would be dozens and dozens of them all over your bushes. About ten years ago they stopped being an issue. I thought it was because the whole neighborhood went on a milorganite program (specifically to deal with this issue; they said every house had to participate or it would do no good). But now I'm wondering if they have disappeared in general and if maybe it's something more.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:34 AM

3,551 posts, read 1,666,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
James Howard Kuntsler (author) points out that suburbs often are named for the very thing that they destroyed: "Deer Field Acres" or "Quail Ridge Estates" or "Apple Orchard Grove."

LOL I don't know about apple orchards, but believe me if you have roadways with any sort of grass along it you still have a "Deerfield." You will get deer, deer, and more deer, because they're attracted to the open areas created by roads. Someone told me that to them a road looks like an open field. We keep trying to round them up and have them moved out to more wooded areas, and they keep finding their way back.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:41 AM

2,484 posts, read 1,081,267 times
I live in a small town, near the center. I have deer in the backyard, squirrels and chipmunks up the wazoo, fireflies on summer nights, wild turkeys, great blue heron, even a pileated woodpecker stopped by. Saw a bald eagle overlooking the interstate the other day.

When I lived further out in the country, coyotes, bears, moose, deer, even a mountain lion.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:55 PM

30,710 posts, read 49,503,410 times
We settled in a rural area surrounded by forest.

As a teenager I was led to believe eagles were going away.

Now that I live in dense forest, I see eagles and hawks regularly. Wild turkeys, deer, bear, moose, abound in this area. As do fireflies in the summers.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 2,969,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I remember approaching my property in the dark during a rain storm that lasted all day. Well in this darkness there were dozens of frogs hopping across the road. Their large eyes reflected the beams from my head lights. For the younger among you, it was a scene right out of Avatar. For you boomers, it was like watching Mitch Miller on acid.
You can still see this under exactly the right time of year and conditions but I'll be you won't see anything like the numbers. On top of habitat loss, water pollution, and ozone depletion, Chytrid fungal infections (a naturally-occurring fungus carried by a couple of African frogs that were widely exported for use in human pregnancy testing and which were indiscriminately dumped BTW. Almost no other amphibians had any resistance to it) have wiped out amphibian populations all over the planet. By wiped out I mean 80% mortality if not higher.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-09-2018 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 03:02 PM

7,214 posts, read 2,969,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We settled in a rural area surrounded by forest.

As a teenager I was led to believe eagles were going away.
They were; resulting from DDT contamination of their prey, habitat loss, and shooting. DDT was subsequently banned and the federal gov't in cooperation with states established protective programs (passing the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act nationally, prohibiting international trade in eagles and eagle parts through the CITES Convention, as well as habitat and nest site protection, etc) to help them recover.

Old 12-09-2018, 04:10 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,013,682 times
Some theorize that insect species are disappearing due to electro-magnetic radiation, cell phone towers being the main culprit. I know something's amiss because I don't have to clean nearly as many bugs off my windshield as I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or