U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM

512 posts, read 633,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Unless the car accident happened at work, why would workmans comp cover this?
A lot of federal workers can sign up for 3 hours a week of physical fitness activity. She did and was running during her authorized time when she was hit by the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
To the OP
You mentioned a ďdeferred retirementĒ
Not familiar with federal employment practices
Could you explain how that possibility impacts your situation
I hope you both have good ortho doctors
Basically a deferred retirement means that you've met certain longevity requirements to retire but you defer getting paid until a later date. I have to work for 5 years before I am eligible to retire. Since I started late, I'll be 58 and change when I reach the 5 year mark. However, I can't start receiving my pension until age 62.

My wife has more time than I do, but she's younger. In her case she could take a deferred retirement and start receiving her pension when she is 56 years and 8 months. If she started that early the % reduction is a big hit.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:41 PM

30,158 posts, read 47,386,444 times
Don’t mean to be rude but it would seem your wife should be entitled to decent settlement based on her continuing and debilitating injury from that car hitting her
Was there no viable settlement w/driver’s insurance? Was driver uninsured?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Donít mean to be rude but it would seem your wife should be entitled to decent settlement based on her continuing and debilitating injury from that car hitting her
Was there no viable settlement w/driverís insurance? Was driver uninsured?
We have not settled yet. Our lawyer advised us not to go to settlement until she was healed. Since it doesn't look like she'll ever be fully healed I expect we'll settle sometime this year. I think we're waiting on a court date now.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 PM

1,001 posts, read 390,268 times
Please don’t get in a rush to settle. Wait until your wife’s physician confirms, and you have a second opinion, that she’s at a final point with regards to any improvement and healing. I know what it’s like to be in your shoes and, need the money. But don’t rush...you may inadvertently leave money on the table.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 PM

4,056 posts, read 7,338,995 times
Iím a Fed retiree, although CSRS not FERS, so I readily admit I may not be your best information source. It was always my understanding that a Workmens Comp (OWCP) retirement was figured entirely differently than a plain vanilla (non work related) disability retirement (and it was much more generous). If you havenít researched that difference I urge you to do so, and be certain in your reading and research that you are reading about OWCP retirement benefits.

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM

31,731 posts, read 20,017,197 times
Wouldn't her regular SS be like $1800 a month?

How much difference a month is there between her taking SS when she planned, and the amount per month for Disability?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-24-2019, 10:50 AM

31,731 posts, read 20,017,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You make the choices that suit you, which is as it should be.

Our choice is to not do budgeting. Iím afraid youíll just have to take my word for it that it works for us.

Live and let live, I always say.

Yeah, I used to keep all our financial data (by transaction) in Quicken, I could pull up data thousands of ways and give you a choice of bar or pie graph.

I don't even bother to balance my check book now. Most of the budgeting is in my head, I know our expenses, I know our income and I know what we can and cannot spend.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 02-24-2019, 02:18 PM

7,718 posts, read 4,744,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, I used to keep all our financial data (by transaction) in Quicken, I could pull up data thousands of ways and give you a choice of bar or pie graph.
Mmm, pie.

It's easy to get pulled into the data-manipulation time sink. I used to do relational databases for a living.

Quote:
I don't even bother to balance my check book now. Most of the budgeting is in my head, I know our expenses, I know our income and I know what we can and cannot spend.

Heresy!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Update: My wife's shoulder is much better since the surgery but her neck is continuing to bother her. The x-rays didn't really show anything so she's getting an MRI next week. I expect that she'll be going for her third neck surgery shortly afterwards. This time its lower than before. They're going to look at C7-T1. I think the previous surgeries were C3/4 and 5/6. If she doesn't get any better after this, I'm definitely pushing her to apply for DR.

Our lawyer filed the case with the court in November. She did not ask for service of the complaint on the defendant. We have until this November to file for service, and then it could take up to a year to get a court date.

As for me, I got the SI joint injections April 1st but they didn't really help. And the PT has mostly been the same exercises I've been doing at home all along, so not much help there either. I've got one more PT session this week and then I go back to the neurosurgeon on April 30th. I'm pretty sure that we'll be discussing surgical options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or