U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 06:37 AM

8,211 posts, read 11,932,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
...And I guarantee you -- if you don't do a monthly budget and an annual budget, one of these years soon, you'll be $5,000-$10,000 (or more) in debt and wondering how you got there (unless you've somehow managed to have a very healthy savings account/good investments).
And I guarantee you --- you're wrong.

I'm glad budgeting works for you under the terms of your very own unique definition (which was much too long to C&P), but contrary to your "guarantee", it's not a requirement for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You make the choices that suit you, which is as it should be.

Our choice is to not do budgeting. Iím afraid youíll just have to take my word for it that it works for us.

Live and let live, I always say.
As it does for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 AM

1,980 posts, read 2,730,385 times
Quote:
You make the choices that suit you, which is as it should be.

Our choice is to not do budgeting. Iím afraid youíll just have to take my word for it that it works for us.

Live and let live, I always say.
Well, I haven't heard that excuse before. :-)

I wish you well.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:08 AM

7,739 posts, read 4,758,012 times
Quote:
Well, I haven't heard that excuse before. :-)

I wish you well.
No, you don't. But that's okay.

Look, people are a lot more different than you might imagine. I could -- but won't, they can out themselves if they want -- name a number of contributors to this very forum who own two homes and travel between the two every year. We own a mortgage-free home in Silicon Valley and another in Scottsdale, AZ. I'm taking a break from packing the van to go to the Scottsdale house. The neighbor to the right of us, who I haven't met yet, texted me yesterday that our citrus trees are in standing water that might damage the wall that separates our properties. It's been more than a few days since it rained in Phoenix, so I gotta go see what's what and get it fixed.

But getting it fixed won't be a problem, because we can handle whatever it is. That's why we don't budget. It would be pointless.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

I'm glad budgeting works for you under the terms of your very own unique definition (which was much too long to C&P), but contrary to your "guarantee", it's not a requirement for everybody.

As it does for us.
That's your opinion, and you're way in the minority. Most people know the benefits of doing a budget -- they just don't want to take the time and trouble do it. And it's not like I don't understand that -- as I said, it can be a huge pain.

I am just encouraging everyone to do one. It's not like I really care if anyone does or not -- your finances affect me. I probably shouldn't have gotten so carried away. I just have known and do know too many people who are in financial trouble because they've never done one. But even then, it's not too late to do one.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
No, you don't. But that's okay.

Look, people are a lot more different than you might imagine. I could -- but won't, they can out themselves if they want -- name a number of contributors to this very forum who own two homes and travel between the two every year. We own a mortgage-free home in Silicon Valley and another in Scottsdale, AZ. I'm taking a break from packing the van to go to the Scottsdale house. The neighbor to the right of us, who I haven't met yet, texted me yesterday that our citrus trees are in standing water that might damage the wall that separates our properties. It's been more than a few days since it rained in Phoenix, so I gotta go see what's what and get it fixed.

But getting it fixed won't be a problem, because we can handle whatever it is. That's why we don't budget. It would be pointless.
Of course I wish you well. Why wouldn't I? You think I hope you wind up in financial trouble because you don't do a budget? Ya gotta be kidding. I am not the nicest person in the world, but I'm quite that mean/bad to wish anyone any problems. After all, 'we're all in this together'.

As I reread your post -- no, people aren't a lot more different than I might imagine We might like to think that way -- we like to think that we're unique -- but, fortunately and unfortunately, we're pretty much the same. :-)

Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 PM

13,311 posts, read 6,375,629 times
Quote:
That's your opinion, and you're way in the minority. Most people know the benefits of doing a budget -- they just don't want to take the time and trouble do it. And it's not like I don't understand that -- as I said, it can be a huge pain.

I am just encouraging everyone to do one. It's not like I really care if anyone does or not -- your finances affect me. I probably shouldn't have gotten so carried away. I just have known and do know too many people who are in financial trouble because they've never done one. But even then, it's not too late to do one.
My kids had to learn how to budget. One of them is not a high earner, but she did teach the younger high earner how to budget. It’s a godsend for the young one. I think it’s good to budget.

I never did budget, I did have to sort of look at our budget 5 years before retirement to see whether we would be ok without receiving our paychecks. Luckily I did and it turned out alright. Now I’m back to no budgeting. Lazy in our old age or is it in my new 30s(as in 50s is the new 30s kind of thing).

Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 PM

11,164 posts, read 8,570,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I know my comment was not to be taken seriously. The only way you can get $20,000 -$30,000 a year more is to acquire in-demand skills that warrant the pay hike.
That's my point. The OP isn't too old for a serious job change or salary jump. There is always room to improve ones skills.

Seriously, whatever the OP is making now, there is another company that will pay him $10k more. Then, put in a couple of years, jump ship and get $10k more.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:25 PM

7,739 posts, read 4,758,012 times
Quote:
Of course I wish you well. Why wouldn't I? You think I hope you wind up in financial trouble because you don't do a budget? Ya gotta be kidding. I am not the nicest person in the world, but I'm quite that mean/bad to wish anyone any problems. After all, 'we're all in this together'.

As I reread your post -- no, people aren't a lot more different than I might imagine We might like to think that way -- we like to think that we're unique -- but, fortunately and unfortunately, we're pretty much the same. :-)

No. We're not.

But let's let the OP have his thread back.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM

12,580 posts, read 4,254,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
I've talked about my retirement plans in some other posts if you want more details, but here's a summary:

I'm currently 54, retired military and now working a federal job. Along with my military pension, I was planning to work and then retire again at age 62 to get a small (maybe $1,000) federal pension and delay SS as long as possible. We're also planning to sell our house and move to a lower cost of living area.

My wife has a variety of medical issues, including the auto-immune disease Sjogrens. Her issues were greatly aggravated due to a car accident in December 2016. She still has neck and shoulder issues caused by the accident. She's already had two neck surgeries and has a third procedure coming up in January. While she has seen some improvement, she is not anywhere close to be back to her normal. She's also a federal civilian. She has only worked sporadically since the accident although about a month ago she officially went back to work half time but she's usually miserable by the time she's done. Thankfully the Department of Labor has covered most of her salary through workman's compensation.

Because of her medical issues, we've always been planning for her to retire at her MRA (Minimum Retirement Age), which she reaches in December 2024. We were planning for her to delay receiving her federal pension until age 60 or 62 (to minimize the early reduction)

Now comes the curve ball. Since she's still not even close to being able to do her actual job ( she's a dental assistant) she's been working as the front desk/receptionist, but even that still bothers her a lot. Her agency has started talking about her getting a medical/disability retirement. If she doesn't start showing more improvement after the January procedure, then disability retirement is probably the right step.

Of course if she does get medically retired it will wreck havoc on our finances. As I understand things, for the first year she'll get 60% of her high 3 salary and then 40% after that. I think it would all be tax free but even so its still a significant drop in income. Her current high 3 is roughly $50,000, so that means $30,000 the first year and then only $20,000 from then on.

I'm not really asking for any advice, although if anyone has experience with federal disability retirement I'd like to hear your story. Mostly I'm just venting my frustration about how that event two years ago has completely disrupted our lives.

One question - do you still have a mortgage?

Old 12-17-2018, 01:58 PM

8,211 posts, read 11,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Quote:

No, it's a fact.

DUCY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or