U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 12:24 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,239,300 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^ You are starting to sound like mathjak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 12:26 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,239,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Maid View Post
I had braces at 52 . I always hated how my front teeth slightly crossed . I am glad I did it but now almost 20 years later they are starting to move back.

I got the braces for the gap between two upper front teeth. But now so many years later, mine are going back to what they were before the braces. It is what it is. I'm 76 and would not consider doing braces again.

Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 PM

628 posts, read 402,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
^^^^^^^ You are starting to sound like mathjak.
That's funny. Let's hope that among Mathjacks' wonderul qualitites, that he has a sense of humor as well!

Old 12-09-2018, 12:43 PM

5,769 posts, read 4,827,803 times
With the new Invisalign I don't see why you wouldn't if it bothers you. Invisalign is supposed to be half of the cost of traditional orthodontia. I had my braces at 22 years old. They hurt a lot, but I loved the results. Mine have started to shift a little lately, but not too much.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,169,240 times
Not related to teeth but I had a breast augmentation at 57. Long story about that, but Yes it was worth it.
Now however at 66 I would not mind having both breasts removed completely, but no money for it nor is my health that good for such surgery.

But if having your teeth done will make you feel better about yourself, go for it.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:18 PM

563 posts, read 266,085 times
Braces or Other Cosmetic Fixes at this Stage of Life

I can only speak for myself. No, I wouldn't even consider it.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:24 PM

7,903 posts, read 5,031,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
In my early 50s I did the Invisalign thing which straightened a number of front teeth beautifully. I did continue to wear the retainers at night for about 6 years which they say you don't need to do but since I didn't mind them it was no big deal. Eventually I stopped and I do notice that the teeth have slowly but gradually shifted back toward where they were before the Invisalign.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I got the braces for the gap between two upper front teeth. But now so many years later, mine are going back to what they were before the braces. ...
Not long ago, I got “Invisalign” braces, together with a couple of implants. In childhood and adolescence, I totally ignored dental health. Matters weren’t helped by having a narrow jaw, large teeth and consequent crookedness. This resulted in my first tooth-extraction before my 30th birthday (not wisdom teeth). I entered my 40s missing two front teeth (exacerbated by poor fillings and root-canals), with a third front tooth positioned grotesquely askance.

The treatment plan was relatively inexpensive, as compared to the horror-stories and popular laments. Still, it takes about a year, and is not entirely permanent. Despite having the most-moved teeth “wired” together, there was a memory-effect, where the jawbone “remembered” the original position of the teeth, and so, teeth partially reverted to crookedness. This necessitated a second bout of Invisalign, fortunately covered by Invisalign’s warranty. This also means wearing a retainer or similar mechanical restriction indefinitely long, after the second Invisalign treatment is completed.

Recommendation can not be rendered without knowing one’s priorities or budget. There are weightier health-matters than one’s teeth, especially if the dental problem is more cosmetic than functional. Still, American society is insistent on perfect teeth, prizing a healthy smile more than say a healthy weight. Often, one does what one does, from desire to conform.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,948,204 times
I'm now 60, but I got braces at 59 and am still wearing them. Another 18 months and I'll be done.

I've been embarrassed by my teeth all my life and I can now afford to get them all lined up. Yeah, sometimes they hurt, but my smile will be awesome.

Go for it. Do it for YOU.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
If you can afford it and it makes you happy, do it!

If I had a ton of disposable income, I would get a lot of stuff fixed!

Old 12-09-2018, 05:18 PM

15,209 posts, read 8,513,923 times
Just wondering...is there something about getting your teeth fixed cosmetically that is more acceptable than having implants, tummy tucks, or even botox? Seems like opinions are much more negative for that stuff - is it because so many of you paid to have your kids' done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or