Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:57 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just wondering...is there something about getting your teeth fixed cosmetically that is more acceptable than having implants, tummy tucks, or even botox? Seems like opinions are much more negative for that stuff - is it because so many of you paid to have your kids' done?
There is something about teeth and smiles that's hallowed and fundamental in modern American culture. Young or old, it's largely OK to be somehow unappealing or deficient in nearly anything else... but teeth are regarded as litmus-test for general propriety and good sense... quite literally like judging a horse. Crooked teeth imply low social standing, loose morals, reprehensible character and all sorts of demerits. So, invasive means of doing something about this, appear to be more of a duty and a sensible campaign of self-improvement, than a vanity project.

Also, with implants in the flesh of the body, the supposition - and rightfully so - is that the participant seeks a phony and ersatz augmentation, or an improvement in appearance on the cheap... that is to say, with the scalpel, instead of diet or exercise. But with dental implants, we are as it were replacing a humdrum and basic mechanical device - the natural tooth - with an artificial one. We're helping nature, rather than supplanting her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 PM

6,862 posts, read 4,856,991 times
Go for it.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:23 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I retired a year ago and am about to turn 59. My teeth have always bothered me and I’m seriously considering braces. Would like to hear from others who maybe got braces later in life or some kind of cosmetic “fix” and if you feel it was worth the trouble and expense.
A friend of mine got braces after she turned 60. She's in her late 70s, early 80s now. She is so happy she did it.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:26 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
Braces aren't necessarily for cosmetics--they correct bite problems, which can cause you problems as you age.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Well, depends on how vain one is, is it for cosmetic only, and you want to go thru the expense and trouble, then do it. I would not. You want to help put another dentist kid thru college, go for it.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 PM

605 posts, read 335,495 times
I got braces when I was 25. I am 50 now.
Considering just getting them on the top.
One tooth has moved, partially, behind the other
The Indian Health service offers braces at a steep discount
otherwise not sure I'd pursue it.
Teeth look just fine.
but at this rate and 25 years more, that tooth could shift further
I believe the discount is about 50% and braces are invisible now.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:13 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Braces were originally designed for growing children, and the most lasting results are with children, because their jawbones are still growing.

Yes, it is possible for the same procedure to be used on adults, but most frequently - as many here have attested - the teeth gradually move back into misalignment. This was my experience, as well. My teeth were so stubborn that I spent 2 years with my lower teeth tightly wired up, and that was after 3 straightenings. Retainers gradually lost their fit.

What solved my problem was veneers. They are less expensive than crowns, and can be used to correct all sorts of cosmetic issues. Best of all, they are permanent. I strongly encourage adults to go this route. If your underlying tooth is sound, the veneers will work for you.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:38 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Braces aren't necessarily for cosmetics--they correct bite problems, which can cause you problems as you age.
This. I got the Invisilign braces at 62 or so because my bite was the upper teeth coming right down on top of the lowers in front & there were signs of fracturing beginning to show. But if it was a cosmetic issue I would still say do it - we try to look good with our hair & clothes, etc..

In my 50's I sprung for laser eye correction for mostly being tired of having worn glasses every day since junior high plus there was a work element where they got in the way to a minor degree sometimes. I had waited years for the procedures to be refined & get cheaper, at that stage I had $5K to spend on myself. No regrets.

I would draw the line at a toupee though.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:36 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,999 times
I know someone who got braces at age 58. The teeth were actually starting to overlap on the top. It wasn't just a cosmetic issue from what I understand. The person wasn't an Invisilign candidate, not everyone is able to go that route. The braces caused a lot of pain off and on as the dentist made adjustments over the 2 year period. The person is happy about the effect. As for myself, I have crooked teeth on the bottom but these don't show too much when I smile. The top teeth are good for now. I doubt I would get braces unless the top teeth start overlapping.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:41 AM

284 posts, read 362,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You are still young, OP. You should definitely do it. Why haven’t you done it before?
Well, I should have done it when I was 16, but not many kids back then had them. We’d just moved, so I was a new kid at school and pretty shy. I didn’t want to feel even more awkward and literally backed out while in the orthodontist chair. My parents didn’t force the issue so I never got them. After we became financially stable enough in my 40’s to afford braces, we put them on our 2 kids instead. So here I am, recently retired, just moved, but this time I’m feeing good about myself. I’ve lost weight and am getting in shape, have developed lots of new interests and made a lot of new friends. I may be approaching 60, but I feel more energized than I did when I was 30 and just feel like this is the time in my life to really become the best version of myself I can be. Guess that might include my teeth.

I’ve toyed with the idea so long now, I’m just hoping if I do this, that the process works!

Last edited by Drift Away; 12-10-2018 at 05:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement