U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 AM

15,250 posts, read 8,581,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Braces aren't necessarily for cosmetics--they correct bite problems, which can cause you problems as you age.
So true - and many nose jobs are for deviated septums...but while we're up there....why not? ...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:55 AM

13,350 posts, read 25,617,103 times
I had a breast reduction done at 64 and they were very nicely rebuilt. Insurance covered it because of my ongoing back pain and neck nerve problems from minimizers. I look a lot better and the pain is all gone. One co-worker, a girly girl, very snarkily asked me why I would have this done "at your age," and I almost belted her in her makeup face.
I think getting one's teeth worked on is perfectly reasonable if you can afford it.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:27 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,079,100 times
Do whatever you need to keep your teeth vs having them all pulled and getting dentures.
Dentures are the worst thing. In my case the dentures cost $3,450 and I went back several times over the year to have them fine tuned but I still can't wear the bottom set. Basically only soft chew foods.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:58 AM

4,037 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Maid View Post
I had braces at 52 . I always hated how my front teeth slightly crossed . I am glad I did it but now almost 20 years later they are starting to move back.
Probably should have worn the retainer as they told you to, huh?

I was tired of non-perfect teeth by age 45, so finally having money I went to the best ortho around. Actually, first I went to the best cosmetic person around, and she said "get the ortho done first!" Good advice.

I was in braces about two years, and they surely are a bummer. I'm not alone, people my age do this, though it's a bit odd nonetheless.

End of two years I had straight, ugly teeth. So, I shopped around the cosmetic portion and for $1K/tooth, had porcelain veneers on my top teeth. He did eight, which was enough. Bottoms look good and are bleached every once in awhile.

I went with B1, the brightest 'natural' sheen, so I don't look like some phony baloney with super bright teeth. That's for women and Tom Cruise. Oh, and vampires too. My doctor's sculptor did exquisite work, I'm complemented on my smile and I do mean 'often'. That's what careful shopping and $14K will get you, I guess, which was a LOT of bother. I've impressed enough with my smile to pay for it several times over, a subjective thing. Straight teeth are rapidly becoming an expectation in modern professional business.

I may or may not ever outsource the bottom teeth, at about $500/each in San Jose, Costa Rica. Their quality matches ours, with American-trained dentists. I'd probably have ten or twelve done on the bottom, though. I'd only go to Costa Rica if the math made sense.

I wear my retainers couple times/week, which keeps all aligned and stops me from biting myself in my sleep (I'm twitchy like that), so two birds w/one stone.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:05 PM

174 posts, read 109,000 times
I had braces twice as an adult and it never permanently straightened my teeth. There was no room for them to move so I was told. It did help though. I am still not happy with my smile and would not do braces again. However, I really want to get veneers. They can change your whole smile and it is permanent. It is expensive, but I have known others that had it done and it looked amazing. My dentist says he can do it. That is going to be my retirement gift to myself.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:05 PM

142 posts, read 63,271 times
The bones in our jaw narrow as we age which causes crowding of the lower teeth as they are pushed together. I had braces as a child. By age 40, my front lower teeth were starting to crowd. Got braces again on the lower front six teeth which took about a year, maybe less. He put a permanent retainer on afterward -- don't get one of those as my teeth started to move again after 4-5 years. Had lower braces put on again in mid-40's (same six front lower teeth) with a different orthodontist and thereafter have worn a retainer every night. Over 15 years later and they are still completely straight. Very glad I did it.

Do wear the retainer.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:47 PM

197 posts, read 161,362 times
As with many things, if you can afford it, the technology exists and it harms no one else, then do what you like in good conscience.

I'm a firm proponent of all types of cosmetic enhancement as it is no one's concern but my own!

Old 12-11-2018, 07:38 PM

79 posts, read 47,642 times
Not braces, I had a breast reduction done right after early retirement at 58. Wanted to spend the rest of my life being comfortable and not having underwire constantly digging into me. Wished I'd done it years ago, especially before I grew this "meno-pot".

Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,473,669 times
I remember years ago a 77 year old socialite was on the cover of Las Vegas Magazine as the oldest person to get new boobs in the city. She was showing off the new knockers.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 AM

986 posts, read 610,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
I retired a year ago and am about to turn 59. My teeth have always bothered me and Im seriously considering braces. Would like to hear from others who maybe got braces later in life or some kind of cosmetic fix and if you feel it was worth the trouble and expense.
I was a hard to brake thumb sucker as a child which caused me to have an overbite, and despite my parents wanting me to get braces as a kid I fought them tooth and nail not to get them and unfortunately I won that battle. When I reached 30 I decided to pursue the possibility of getting braces. The orthodontist I saw informed me because of the shape of my mouth and dental bones as a result of my thumb sucking, if I were to get braces it would involve having to remove wedge shaped pieces of my upper dental bone and following 6 weeks of a wired jaw before braces could be applied. No way was I going to have this done especially for cosmetic and not functional reasons so I opted instead to have 4 porcelain veneers placed on my 4 upper front teeth which completely changed the appearance of my overbite to normal looking teeth. Thirty years later I still have the same 4 veneers and have absolutely no regrets doing this despite the expense which was $2,000/per tooth back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or