Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've never understood why some people seem to lose their minds over a harmless activity other people do. It makes no sense to me.

Live and let live...
I don't think anyone is losing their minds. Some people just don't realize they are paying more for water than gasoline they put in their cars thinking they are buying something better, purer than faucet water when they are not. It's just a reality check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:23 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I heard a 100 yr old man being interviewed. He was asked what the most astonishing thing he had seen over the course of his life. His answer was the fact that people paid for bottles of water.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I think carrying water around has actually peaked in popularity. Some of that is because people don't want all the plastic waste - so unless you want to drink tap water and fill up a reusable bottle that has to be cleaned it's much more of a pain.

My tap water tastes horrible so I can see why people would pay for bottled - but I won't pay $1+ because it's easy to get bundles of 36 and pay maybe a dime or less. Still more than tap but at least it is palatable both tastewise and to my pocketbook!

Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've never understood why some people seem to lose their minds over a harmless activity other people do. It makes no sense to me.

Live and let live...
All the plastic waste is not harmless. I've had to drink bottled my whole life due to marginal wells or softened water. But I'd refill reusable bottles. But yeah, I've wondered this too. I too drank out of hoses when playing outside. But the need to always have water with us is relatively new to me, though a good idea, I suppose. Were our parents less healthy due to less water? Hmmm...

Old 12-09-2018, 07:52 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
We drink bottled water and cook with tap. We prefer the taste of bottled water and feel that it is safer. At times the public is notified of a contamination of public water long after the event itself. Yes we pay for it but for us it's worth it. And by the way a gallon of Crystal Geyser is 79 cents and a gallon of gas is $2.95.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times
I believe some people have a condition called dry mouth. Caused sometimes by medications. Or in some cases, a disease.

I have it some times and am glad to have a bottle of water with me. But I purchased the bottle years ago and fill it with tap water.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Now it's coffee they carry around with them . . . whatever the current fad dictates (for some, not for me).

Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,877 times
I feel like everyone is a baby now, dragging a sippie cup around

My theory is that people have replaced smoking with smartphones and waterbottles. Just something to do with your hands

Old 12-09-2018, 08:12 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Why I hate shopping. Young parents with a water bottle or $10 coffee in one hand, a $1000 cell phone in the other, and their evil spawn are running amuck through the stores while the parents are one hundred feet behind and screaming at the kids.

Merry Holiday Shopping Everyone!

FWIW: Our oldest worked as a Starbucks barista while in high school and college. Some of those Vente sized fancy coffees contain an entire day's recommended intake of calories and fats - IN A SINGLE BEVERAGE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Who in their right mind actually goes shopping? We go to the gas station, Costco for groceries and on rare occasions we go to a home center or other store. Clothing and virtually every other item is bought online. The UPS or FedEx truck stops by daily. This week has seen the following deliveries: a battery for the front door bell, a replacement watch band, a package of interoffice mailers for my document storage, archival mounting tape for picture framing, and a couple of CD carrying cases for the movies I have in the RV. I also have an order of picture frames and some cellphone charging cables in transit. This week was a bit unusual since I did stop by a Walmart store and bought a steering wheel cover. Normally I would have bought that online also.

Don't get me started on Starbucks. I drink black coffee and the Starbucks is the worse. They sell mainly burnt tasting coffee that is only drinkable when mixed with sugar, cream and other flavorings. They do have a "blond" roast brew but it is average at best. McDs and Dunking have way better coffee.
Shouldn't you both be outside yelling at people to get off your lawn?

Old 12-09-2018, 08:14 AM

496 posts, read 553,070 times
We've been on several travel tours in the last couple of years. Everyone on these tours is at least age 60, and the prime age group is 65-75. They all carry water bottles and drink water constantly. Lots of talk of "staying hydrated."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement