Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 05:20 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I stopped drinking water from ANY faucet in the mid-80's.

I carry a bottle of water when I go somewhere because sometimes too much stress makes my throat dry and start to constrict --- especially!when I am in the waiting room while DH is having tests done.

Soooo --- if you naysayers see me sitting in the waiting room with a bottle of water, best to keep your unpleasant thoughts to yourself unless you are fully prepared to debate "water bottle vs. no water bottle" in full view of the rest of the waiting room------

I think it's picayune the matter is a thread in the first place----
We carry good insulated water bottles, filled from the tap. The bottled water phenomenon is just bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 05:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Can we look at everything you do, use and wear in your day-to-day life? Being a Californian, I'm sure I can find something objectionable.

Or... We could all just live and let live.
I never claimed to be perfect, but I try to think about the consequences of my actions. You’re welcome to look at how I live my life, and if you find areas where I can improve, I’d welcome the info. I’m sure I could be a better person.

But the you’re not perfect, so let me be imperfect too is nonsense - lowest common denominator thinking. Let’s all drag each other down, that’s the best answer.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
Leaving aside the fact that water bottles weren't even offered just about everywhere in public back then...

If someone wanted a drink they'd ask for it. Nowadays you might be refused if you asked for water somewhere. Some restaurants don't even put water on tables unless you ask. 30 years ago if they weren't carrying a canteen they may have been carrying a can of soda, juice, a thermos, or even a beer. This American has never decided it must carry bottled water anywhere, but then this American never hauls much around anyway. No purse, handbag, satchel, backpack or whatever. Usually keys and wallet, maybe a chap stick. I refuse to join the ranks of plastic water bottle addicts. If I know I'll get thirsty I plan ahead and carry a refillable canteen or get water where I'm going.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:01 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I also fail to understand the hype about straws. I understand the main issue is the plastic straws in the ocean. Certainly it makes sense to avoid contaminating our oceans with plastic materials of any sort, but I have to ask how are all of those straws ending up in the ocean? Few of us have ocean going boats where we sip through a straw and then throw it in the water. No, straws end up in the ocean because of defective waste disposal systems that contaminate the water. We should fix that issue.
Here’s how it happens mostly, so how do “we” fix it?
Quote:
Plastic straws end up in the ocean primarily through human error, often 1) left on beaches in coastal communities and seaside resorts globally 2) littered OR 3) blown out of trash cans (oftentimes overfilled) or transport boats and vehicles.

While some city's waste management infrastructure is sound, not all communities have the same level of accountability.

Remember, all gutters and storm drains lead to our ocean!

Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I don't buy that story. How many of us are using straws and having them blow out of our trash cans and into the oceans? I guess some could come from storm sewer runoff but again how many of us have straws in our yards that can wash into the oceans? No, the big issue is improper municipal waste disposal. Ever notice the huge numbers of tampon applicators on our beaches? I doubt these are laying around and getting blown into the oceans.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:41 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,863,645 times
I don't carry water around. I like my hands free and I don't want to make any bathroom stops while I am out. I do keep a bottle in the car that I fill at home with our own tasty well water. If I am gone for a few hours I am happy to have it, but usually I am not gone so long that I get thirsty.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In Arizona, dehydration is one of the major causes of emergency room visits. And it is generally non-locals who do not think that they need to carry water with them because they are "not thirsty."
I’ve always heard, by the time you’re thirsty, you’re pretty dehydrated. I bought myself a stainless bottle with a pull open top. I e cubes fit easily, and it keeps the water really cold. We have excellent tap water.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I’m more careful as I’m getting older. There are times that if I didn’t have water, I would start coughing more, very uncomfortable. I’ve bring some nourishment in my car. You never know, you can get stuck in traffic for a long time. Not risking it.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:56 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
I don't know but the plastic from all those bottles (and stuff) is killing our oceans.

I drink bottled water to stay hydrated daily because I prefer the taste and purity but I don't carry a bottle with me everywhere. I also drop of those bottles and hope they get recycled. I may get one of those filtering thingies for my faucet.

Last edited by HappyDogToday; 12-09-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 08:56 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’ve always heard, by the time you’re thirsty, you’re pretty dehydrated. .....

This is my first time hearing this theory. Where did you hear or read about this in the past?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement