Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 06:54 AM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Is this to be expected once you retire to complain about what 'young' people are doing these days?
Obviously, this is not a young people vs old people issue. From the responses there are plenty of "old" people who tote the plastic water bottle around with them all day taking sips every few minutes. If you are a young person, you certainly don't have any type of monopoly in doing this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 07:00 AM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Virtually everyones parents of my age group (60-65) were most definitely less healthy, and looked it and I do think most of it was from not drinking enough water and drinking a lot more of everything else not really good for them. Todays 65 year old women typically look 10 plus years younger than their mothers at the same age, especially when it comes to wrinkles and complexion. When I was a kid, and even today, I never understood the obsession with coffee. Grownups were always getting together to “have a cup of coffee”. My mother drank probably a gallon a day of the stuff. When I was a small kid, every house I ever visted, there was ALWAYS a pot of coffee brewing. When I started working, the older workers drank cup after cup, all day. My deceased MIL drank at least a 2 liter bottle of Tab every day. She hated water. Whether societal, advertising, education or ignorance, I know not for sure. I personally drink mostly from insulated SS during the day. I should drink more water (gout) but the constant bathroom breaks are annoying enough already. DW drinks a lot of bottled water. She does have some stomach issues, so tap is out most of the time. Filtered water is the norm in the house. Last house I installed an RO system, this house, just a charcoal filter for now.
You're making a lot of assumptions. Can I also assume everyone's parents were healthier than most people today because my grandmother lived to be 103 and my mother is 87 and still healthy and neither touched a plastic bottle of water their entire lives while both being coffee drinkers?

Old 12-12-2018, 07:36 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,101,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Who in their right mind actually goes shopping?....
I buy quite a few things online.

But I am in my right mind and I do go shopping. I do not enjoy shopping in large stores in malls, but I do actually enjoy patronizing the smaller shopkeepers and merchants of my town. Their stores give the town a commercial center which attracts people, and this means that other people open cafes and restaurants and this keeps the sense of what I will call "home town-ness" alive, and I prefer this to those urban areas where there are no commercial centers and where people have no sense of belonging to a town and, it seems, very little - if any - sense of having neighbors.

I moved to Europe twenty years ago, and one of the great pleasures of the town I live in is how many of the pluses it has that remind me of the pluses of the small American town I grew up in during the Forties and Fifties. I know the merchants in the town center and they know me, and I sit in a cafe and read the newspaper or a book and chat with waiter or waitress about their family or friends and I enjoy it - it's not just a time-killer. And, yeah, I can even get that obligatory water. These activities are part of feeling rooted and belonging.

But where I live I even get a bit of the same from the drivers of the major delivery services who bring stuff from Amazon, etc....the DHL guy and I will grab a coffee at my corner cafe if he is about to take his lunch break, and I watched one young guy "grow" his Japanese-style body suit tattoo and wowed him by giving him a book on Japanese tattoos that I had had on my shelf for years, another delivery guy addresses me with the president's name and cracks jokes because of a political remark I made once. So, even my online shopping means I get more delivered than stuff in a box.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:04 AM

31,995 posts, read 36,552,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
I'm old and I often carry a water bottle. It makes me feel better to stay hydrated.

On the other hand, I reuse the bottles many times by running them through the dishwasher and refilling them from the tap. We have great tap water in our town.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 7,477,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
WC Fields: "Water? never touch the stuff. Fish f**k in it!"
The complete quote was, "Water? Never touch the stuff. It rusts pipes, and fish f*ck in it."

Of course, Fields (or his character) had found a substitute he liked a lot more, which was convenient.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 PM

2,242 posts, read 2,988,574 times
Unbelievable. 22 pages of arguing about water. And no I haven't read them all. The first 2 pages were enough.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:51 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,595,583 times
I've been thinking about water a lot lately, because as a child, I was taught that you didn't have to give dogs water because there was water in their food. That unfortunate teaching led me to parch my animals (I'm afraid).

And then I started thinking about my own drinking habits. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and hated milk. My mom created a horrible powdered milk concoction and made me drink it. I was never given water - there was no juice - my mom drank some off-brand Diet Coke, but I wasn't allowed to - so I would walk to school having had nothing to drink in the morning - would be in school all day and drink nothing - maybe a quick gulp from the drinking fountain - then walk home and drink nothing - and then have that horrible powdered milk concoction at dinner.

So I was totally dehydrated all of my growing up years - and I bet many others were, as well. I did come to have kidney issues - and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I think wrinkles are definitely related to being dehydrated.

And many spiritual teachers teach you to keep super hydrated - it is important that the body be cleansed, constantly.

My municipal water is now at risk and I am thinking about filters - I have reverse osmosis - but the replacement filters are difficult to find so will have to replace the system.

In reviewing my life, one of my huge regrets is that my pets were not as well-cared-for as they would be now, as I didn't have the correct sensibilities - combined with the bad info on them not needing water - I am surprised they all lived as long as they did - and I also think that lots of illness in humans is due to dehydration.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:03 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
These days, it seems like most younger folks are toting around water bottles and drinking water *all* the time. Is it really improving our health? I have my doubts.

In the early 1990s, I had a family member who carried a bottle of water everywhere and was always sipping on that water. He was also in the bathroom every 30 minutes (for obvious reasons). We thought it was pretty weird that this healthy 30-something guy was constantly drinking water.

Now it seems like the norm.

When did Americans decide that we must have bottled water with us at all times? Is it really improving our health and/or our longevity? It seems like a very curious habit to me (but then again, I'm old).
I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's only in some areas.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,503,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I've been thinking about water a lot lately, because as a child, I was taught that you didn't have to give dogs water because there was water in their food. That unfortunate teaching led me to parch my animals (I'm afraid).

And then I started thinking about my own drinking habits. I grew up in the fifties and sixties and hated milk. My mom created a horrible powdered milk concoction and made me drink it. I was never given water - there was no juice - my mom drank some off-brand Diet Coke, but I wasn't allowed to - so I would walk to school having had nothing to drink in the morning - would be in school all day and drink nothing - maybe a quick gulp from the drinking fountain - then walk home and drink nothing - and then have that horrible powdered milk concoction at dinner.

So I was totally dehydrated all of my growing up years - and I bet many others were, as well. I did come to have kidney issues - and I don't think that is a coincidence.

I think wrinkles are definitely related to being dehydrated.

And many spiritual teachers teach you to keep super hydrated - it is important that the body be cleansed, constantly.

My municipal water is now at risk and I am thinking about filters - I have reverse osmosis - but the replacement filters are difficult to find so will have to replace the system.

In reviewing my life, one of my huge regrets is that my pets were not as well-cared-for as they would be now, as I didn't have the correct sensibilities - combined with the bad info on them not needing water - I am surprised they all lived as long as they did - and I also think that lots of illness in humans is due to dehydration.
Just for future reference, with the advent of the wide use of the internet in the 1990s and later, there has been no excuse not to know how to care for pets properly, like the basic of giving them fresh water daily.

I find it interesting that you guys didn't drink water. Drinking water is a naturally human thing to do. Humans aren't taught to drink fluids. They just do, like they just use the bathroom. It can be water or another liquid. I think a child would have to be taught NOT to drink water, because otherwise, he just would, when he got thirsty. Kids are thirsty often because they are more physically active.

I don't think I was taught to drink water. But coming in hot and sweaty from playing outside, we kids would naturally go to the sink and get water to drink. We were dying of thirst.

I keep a Brita pitcher of filtered water in my fridge. I may drink that, or green tea I brew and chill myself. But I drink a lot of fluids. Additionally, I eat a lot of fruit, which has a high liquid content.

No one I've noticed carries bottles of water around. In fact, bottles are discouraged these days, since it's bad for the environment. I do have some bottles of filtered water in my fridge, but they're empty cola bottles that I fill with filtered water from my Brita pitcher.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:22 PM

32,778 posts, read 36,022,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Virtually everyones parents of my age group (60-65) were most definitely less healthy, and looked it and I do think most of it was from not drinking enough water and drinking a lot more of everything else not really good for them. Todays 65 year old women typically look 10 plus years younger than their mothers at the same age, especially when it comes to wrinkles and complexion. When I was a kid, and even today, I never understood the obsession with coffee. Grownups were always getting together to “have a cup of coffee”. My mother drank probably a gallon a day of the stuff. When I was a small kid, every house I ever visted, there was ALWAYS a pot of coffee brewing. When I started working, the older workers drank cup after cup, all day. My deceased MIL drank at least a 2 liter bottle of Tab every day. She hated water. Whether societal, advertising, education or ignorance, I know not for sure. ...
My husband's Sicilian grandmother only drank water when she had to swallow a pill. She used to say that water would rust your insides. She died just a few months before her 100th birthday.

Last edited by Gerania; 12-12-2018 at 04:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement