U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 08:04 AM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times

Advertisements

Neither, with one exception: Telemarketers. I have no problem being rude to them as they are totally inconsiderate of my time. I figure that if enough people are rude, maybe they will quit and find another way to make money.

However, with that ONE exception, I have always been very polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM

6,528 posts, read 1,336,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well maybe I am fortunate where I live. I am polite, others are polite. In the store and driving. I’ve joked before how at four way stops locals wave each other to go first so after 15 seconds finally someone goes. A pleasant annoyance. Such is life in eastern CA. Teenagers are polite and repectful. Such is life in a small town
I agree that it is very wrong to generalize teens as rude and disrespectful. I live in a western Denver suburb, and ALL the teens I encounter in our community are VERY nice, friendly and polite to me.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:30 AM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
I was brought up to be polite and so it hasn't mattered how old I am.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM

13,190 posts, read 6,301,958 times
My husband is very polite but as he ages, I need to watch out for hangry. It’s real. Dont kid yourself. I can’t move if my husband doesn’t serve me breakfast.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM

169 posts, read 53,186 times
More polite but less tolerant of rudeness in others.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:22 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,440,325 times
I am the same. Unless of course, someone else deserves no respect. I don't believe in being rude or unkind to people, particularly service people. You never know if what you do or say, in that moment in time, when you are polite and kind, might be a deciding factor in the life of someone in despair.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 957,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Hi all!

We were all taught about politeness, I'm sure, but in my case the "brashness of youth" ( perhaps, perhaps rebelling against authority) meant i never used politeness very well.

Think, for an example: someone is in middle of grocery or department store aisle looking at shelves of goods. You see what you want or need, do you say "excuse me"? Or do you just step in their field of vision to grab what you want?

When some stranger or store employee reaches an item on the too shelf for you do you say " thank you"?
If you asked for their help in reaching that item, did you say " would you get me one of XX for me, PLEASE"? Or did you just essentially say "gimme that "?

Do you hold open the door for others? Or just let it slam behind you, even if its in the next person's face? If someone holds the door for you do you say thank you?

Im just wondering.

Like i Said perhaps the brashness of youth or the fact i worked retail where you are basically paid to bend over backward to accommodate them, i used to NOT be so polite to others.

As i have gotten older, i have been polite much much more. And 10 years ago when i first started using a cane, people who were able, would go out of their way to hold the door for me, or offer to carry items fir me, so i became even more polite.

Lol, i found its only words. And only a few of them. And it dies NOT hurt to say them (contrary to what some of all ages may think), and can often brighten someone's day.

So, have you become MORE polite or LESS polite as you aged???

I am exactly the same as I was 50 yrs ago. I still speak my truth and say, "Pardon me" whenever/wherever I walk in front of another person, hold the doors for them, etc. Aging has changed NOTHING at all for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:00 PM

6,600 posts, read 10,664,793 times
My father taught me that a little common courtesy goes a long way, and over the years I have increasingly applied the teaching, with expected results: it costs nothing and people do respond in a courteous manner.

But deep down, I am still ornery, irritable and intolerant of what I perceive to be pettiness and stupidity, and in any case not really looking to make friends and not complaining about it.

Best wishes, though.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:12 PM

6,989 posts, read 6,979,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
More polite but less tolerant of rudeness in others.

Still polite but agree, less tolerant of other rude people. The other night, a woman was going to the same party as me. She kept standing in front of the door, instead of going in. At the time, it was pouring rain. I complained that she wasn’t going in (huge party, open door). She said she was trying to get organized. Who cares! She was letting 2 people get rained on while she was “organizing. Rude.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 346,965 times
I am polite by upbringing and nature, but the place I have the most trouble is driving. There's something about the impersonality of being in a car that brings out my temper, not to mention how often people are doing obnoxious things like tailgating, cutting in and out of traffic, talking on cell phones, driving too slowly in the passing lane, fill in the blank with your favorite pet peeve. I try to breathe and let it go, but on a bad day, you're likely to find me cursing like a sailor.

By the way, to any sailors out there: what's the secret of such expert cursing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or