U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 PM

7,289 posts, read 4,162,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe we reveal our anger on the Politics section of the forum. I am very concerned and unhappy about where our country is headed. It doesnít work to discuss these feelings with fellow citizens. There is too much anger on both sides. Thatís why the C-D is a good outlet.

I don't even waste my time in the Politics forum. I know I won't change any minds in there and no one will ever change mine. It would just be an exercise in futility and frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:18 AM

2,619 posts, read 1,370,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't even waste my time in the Politics forum. I know I won't change any minds in there and no one will ever change mine. It would just be an exercise in futility and frustration.
Too true. I try to stay away from the political forums, but sometimes I just can't help myself!

Old 12-13-2018, 09:12 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Too true. I try to stay away from the political forums, but sometimes I just can't help myself!
I confess I will occasionally go over to POC after reading the newest daily outrage that has gone down in order to vent... & incidentally get a few cheaply earned points.

It's either that or I kick the dog!

Old 12-13-2018, 09:34 AM

1,688 posts, read 577,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I do believe that I'm more polite in most ways, less brash, I was never was pushy or demanding.

But while I'm polite I'm also less of a pushover than when I was younger. I don't equate quiet or acquiescence with politeness when it's plain that someone is trying to take advantage of my initial courtesy with the notion I won't push back when they start haranguing about something despite hints to change the subject/approach. I'm much more assertive & I will simply tell someone like that with very direct language what I think.

I dislike bullies & unlike in my youth I won't tolerate that kind of behavior. I have learned over the years that for some alpha individuals you need to be quite assertive & clearly state your case, though not insult them or get personal. I realize that this may be a regional thing & might be considered rude in some parts of the country where non-confrontation is considered politeness.

Were we twins separated at birth? Every word of your post and outlook applies to me as well.

I also see that we're in the same part of the country and I agree too that in some respects what we see as normal survival mode, someone elsewhere might well see otherwise. However, the flip side of that is that people from our neck of the woods are often unfairly stereotyped as being rude and/or inconsiderate. We've all heard/seen people comment on "rude New Yorkers" ... and remember the infamous Ted Cruz comment about "New York values" in the 2016 election? I am normally not a rabid overt Empire State flag waver but that one really got me steamed.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:35 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,594,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I also see that we're in the same part of the country and I agree too that in some respects what we see as normal survival mode, someone elsewhere might well see otherwise. .....
Yes, I spent 20 years living & working as an adult in what has been described sometimes as "flyover" country in 5 different regions & understand that societal norms vary a lot to one degree or another. That's why I put my location in my CD id, life is quite different in different places. But I started out & ended up in & around NYC. In fact my early bio is virtually a clone of Sean Hannity's & Bill O'Reilly's bios. (Please understand I'm not trying to make any political point here, I'm just trying to use well known regional personalities as an example.)

I know Bill & Sean, not personally, but they are exactly the kinds of guys I grew up with & went to (Catholic) high school with - blue collar guys from white ethnic neighborhoods with a bit of a chip on their shoulder, not much family money & a realization that one has to "make your own break" in this world... aggressive & alpha male in their approach to life. They are pretty typical of a lot of people I know & I had to learn to deal with this type in high school or they would relegate you to a "Lord of the Flies" existence.

Unless this type of person has their name on my paycheck, or a relative connected to the Mob, you have to stand up & confront them & let them know politely but firmly you're not going to be their quisling or entourage. In high school sometimes it was a physical encounter but as an adult most of us have evolved enough to talk it out. We've "gotten more polite." But you have to stand up & state your case: "Sorry but that isn't going to work for me because (1-2-3)".

Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM

7,048 posts, read 7,002,885 times
^^^^This is a great description.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM

10,529 posts, read 8,778,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I've always been polite, but now I've learned to be more tolerant.
and grateful?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 AM

11,941 posts, read 20,410,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Were we twins separated at birth? Every word of your post and outlook applies to me as well.

I also see that we're in the same part of the country and I agree too that in some respects what we see as normal survival mode, someone elsewhere might well see otherwise. However, the flip side of that is that people from our neck of the woods are often unfairly stereotyped as being rude and/or inconsiderate. We've all heard/seen people comment on "rude New Yorkers" ... and remember the infamous Ted Cruz comment about "New York values" in the 2016 election? I am normally not a rabid overt Empire State flag waver but that one really got me steamed.
Before that election my sister went with friends to New York City. While there, they got off the subway, got turned around and were trying figure out where they were headed. They were standing next to a building out of the fast walking throng of people. One guy overheard them as he hustled past, stopped, came back and helped. Took a minute. He was all business about it, obviously didnít have time to waste, told them ďYou ladies have a wonderful here, itís a wonderful city.Ē And BAM! He was off.

If thatís New York values? They sound pretty good to me.

I live in California, and I canít count the number of times Iíve heard ďTourist, GO HOME!Ē shouted at people. And yelled at me, at the few times Iíve been in a rental.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:11 PM

210 posts, read 151,223 times
Retirement allowed me to find my inner monster.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM

13,293 posts, read 6,362,704 times
You and mathjack, I prefer to say it’s my new found reason to be alive and kicking. Thanks to my art class, I now notice more things as I drive, how the clouds are form so beautifully after the rain, where there’s more darker shade near the bottom, versus fluffy white clouds at the top. And then the trees, I see where the sun hits the trees in the roads, where the shadows end up, just beauty all around, where I might not have time to notice before retirement, and I also like to apply my experience in real life to my paintings. It’s like the movie American Beauty by Sam Mendes, you see beauty in the simple things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or