U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 PM

605 posts, read 188,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, religion is difficult to get away from wherever you may go. I live in a HUD building. As everyone knows that means state-run. Yet they sponsor Catholic services on Fridays as well as other Christian observances from time to time.

If course, major Christian holidays are observed.

I understand once, long before I moved here, a woman complained about the religious services that were held here. Her argument was as a state-run place, this was not legal. She didn't get very far and earned a lot of enemies.

If you aren't a part of the mainstream religion, you just have to just accept you're in the minority and let it go. No one tells you to go to the services it's an option.
what do you mean they sponsor Catholic Services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 05:59 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,137,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
what do you mean they sponsor Catholic Services?
Not asking me, but, I bet they are referring to "mass".

Old 12-10-2018, 07:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 705,628 times
I knew some people that lived in a Mennonite run CCRC. They went from independent living in a duplex to various levels of care as they needed to. The place seemed pretty nice. I don't think someone of a different faith would have a problem there. My impression is the Mennonites are not in your face with their beliefs, like some others.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
YMMV,
I have seen lots of success and happy residents (that I have helped place) at Mennonite and SDA (Seventh Day Adventist)
Both will have holistic care and healthy fare.

Baptist... I have had to move folks out of (ironically there were always people moving out). Surely site specific.

Toured nice Presby and Lutheran homes in MSP and they were well regarded as CCRC.

Toured Uplands in TN, it was pretty nice, tho a tad remote. (30 min drive to services).

Old 12-11-2018, 12:31 AM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Unless they are running a charity, profit will be the motive. Mixing religion in with it, doesn't really change that, in my experience.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 AM

605 posts, read 188,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroad70 View Post
Not asking me, but, I bet they are referring to "mass".
Yes I believe it's called Mass. Imho, it's far fetched to believe they are actually "sponsoring" them.
That sounds like a lie from someone who resents Christianity
Generally, at least in our area, the tenants are allowed to utilize the common areas for whatever.

I have clients who live in these places and just attended a B-day party for one held at the Clubhouse.
What's likely happening is Mass is taking place because at least one of their tenants wanted to use the room for this purpose.
No one is sponsoring anyone.
My bet is, if the room is available, as a tenant, I could hold a non-denominational bible study there weekly myself.

Anyone of us could if we were renters there.

Those folks need to allow people to use the facility as they see fit, even if they disagree.

It's best sometimes to start kicking out those who cause un-necessary trouble for other tenants too regularly.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:43 AM

978 posts, read 299,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Yes I believe it's called Mass. Imho, it's far fetched to believe they are actually "sponsoring" them.
That sounds like a lie from someone who resents Christianity
Generally, at least in our area, the tenants are allowed to utilize the common areas for whatever.

I have clients who live in these places and just attended a B-day party for one held at the Clubhouse.
What's likely happening is Mass is taking place because at least one of their tenants wanted to use the room for this purpose.
No one is sponsoring anyone.
My bet is, if the room is available, as a tenant, I could hold a non-denominational bible study there weekly myself.

Anyone of us could if we were renters there.

Those folks need to allow people to use the facility as they see fit, even if they disagree.

It's best sometimes to start kicking out those who cause un-necessary trouble for other tenants too regularly.
This ^^^^

My mother's retirement home was for profit and they regularly had religious services there. Exactly as you said, tenants are allowed to use the common area for whatever.

Hospice providers have a social workers as well as a religious person (priest or minister) to help their patients. Seeing a priest or minister walk into a retirement or nursing home isn't unusual, even in a for profit institution.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:01 AM

11,125 posts, read 8,531,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, religion is difficult to get away from wherever you may go. I live in a HUD building. As everyone knows that means state-run. Yet they sponsor Catholic services on Fridays as well as other Christian observances from time to time.

If course, major Christian holidays are observed.

I understand once, long before I moved here, a woman complained about the religious services that were held here. Her argument was as a state-run place, this was not legal. She didn't get very far and earned a lot of enemies.

If you aren't a part of the mainstream religion, you just have to just accept you're in the minority and let it go. No one tells you to go to the services it's an option.
The difference is that freedom of religion allows people to have their religion or none at all. The government can't force religion on anyone but it can allow religious observances if requested and offered to anyone. Catholics can have a service. Atheists can have a meeting. Satinists can meet.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Can always join / form a senior housing co-op if your don't want to be 'for-profit'.
Senior Cooperative Foundation – Senior Cooperative Foundation
https://seniorhousingnews.com/2013/1...n-some-states/
https://smartasset.com/retirement/co...etirement-home
Village Cooperative
https://coophousing.org/resources/li...g-cooperative/

Most of the Church based CCRC are non-profit and held to strict compliance.
They are eager to share their costs structures and financials, just ask!

More than a few have rates that are as high as commercial (For Profit), but usually that $$ is going to subsidize future sustainable rates and as a 'scholarship' to current income restricted members.

Some CCRC have varying rates (Equity based, market cap, fixed equity) to keep future costs in check.

Obviously we all have our priorities and comfort levels, and many of us operate on the "It's not mine anyway", so ... do your research... and just chose what fits best fits your lifestyle and values.

+/-, easy to poke holes in any plan because NONE are perfect.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 AM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Can always join / form a senior housing co-op if your don't want to be 'for-profit'.
Senior Cooperative Foundation – Senior Cooperative Foundation
https://seniorhousingnews.com/2013/1...n-some-states/
https://smartasset.com/retirement/co...etirement-home
Village Cooperative
https://coophousing.org/resources/li...g-cooperative/

Most of the Church based CCRC are non-profit and held to strict compliance.
They are eager to share their costs structures and financials, just ask!

More than a few have rates that are as high as commercial (For Profit), but usually that $$ is going to subsidize future sustainable rates and as a 'scholarship' to current income restricted members.

Some CCRC have varying rates (Equity based, market cap, fixed equity) to keep future costs in check.

Obviously we all have our priorities and comfort levels, and many of us operate on the "It's not mine anyway", so ... do your research... and just chose what fits best fits your lifestyle and values.

+/-, easy to poke holes in any plan because NONE are perfect.
My Mom is in a memory care unit that is part of a not-for-profit Lutheran based CCRC. My Mom is not particularly religious, but it was the way she was raised and she is comfortable and well cared for there. The facility is beautifully decorated for the Christmas season with programs and all the carols from her childhood that bring her comfort and happiness. She’s with people that come from similar backgrounds and belief systems. She doesn’t need the stress of the unfamiliar or diversity at this point in her life.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-11-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement