U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,540 posts, read 39,914,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Church-backed retirement/continuing care communities may have an advantage in terms of long-term stability.

Presbyterian Homes has run CCCs in North Carolina for several decades. They are well-run, well-regarded, and seemingly financially stable.

Over that same time, other CCCS have come and gone.
Australia and NZ have many Presbyterian Homes, (CCC) nice Mtn and sea views!

Not a bad spot (those nationalities even get Healthcare!)... (my 1st choice)

but if I am 'stuck / disabled / infirmed' in USA, you will find me in the WY Pioneer home (on site of Thermopolis Hot Springs State Park. )

Please send new swimwear for Christmas (and a Lawrence Welk DVD), That will keep me for another yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 05:52 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
My 94 year old SIL is living with at a home run by the Little Sisters of the Poor, a long time Catholic order with a special calling to help the elderly with low incomes.
She is doing so much better there we are thrilled.
My 95 year old aunt also lives in a home operated by the Little Sisters of the Poor. It is a very fine NON-PROFIT facility that is funded by contributions of local Catholics and many generous local businesses. It is probably one of the nicest retirement facilities that I have ever visited.

========================

As for the HUD operated senior living facilities operated in the Cleveland services, many of the facilities do offer Catholic Masses. Those are requested by the residents and funded by the local Catholic parishes in Lakewood, OH.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
what do you mean they sponsor Catholic Services?
"Sponsor" might be the wrong word but I am not sure what you would call it. They have Catholic church services in one of the community rooms in the senior center in one of our residential buildings of which there are three. The services are announced in our buildings' newsletter an notices are put up on our bulletin boards in the common areas of each building. So it's not just a matter of a church renting the room as outsiders are allowed to do for occasions having nothing to do with the apartment conplex. The independent senior living complex supports the services.

My point was that if someone was looking for a senior citizen independent living complex not run by a religious organization, just because such a place is run by a secular organization is no guarantee they still won't encounter some sort of religious leanings.

But they should also keep in mind that it's not likely any place run by a religious organization pressures people into any kind of religious observance. My mom was in a Jewish assisted care home because she was Jewish and that's where she wanted to be. Others there were not Jewish but choose to live there because it was just a good place to live.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 PM

996 posts, read 862,133 times
There are multiple Quaker-run retirement communities in southeastern PA. They have excellent reputations. They are also quite pricey.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 AM

2,533 posts, read 950,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
what do you mean they sponsor Catholic Services?
It might only mean that they allow them to hold services there, and provide a room for it to happen in.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM

605 posts, read 188,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
"Sponsor" might be the wrong word but I am not sure what you would call it. They have Catholic church services in one of the community rooms in the senior center in one of our residential buildings of which there are three. The services are announced in our buildings' newsletter an notices are put up on our bulletin boards in the common areas of each building. So it's not just a matter of a church renting the room as outsiders are allowed to do for occasions having nothing to do with the apartment conplex. The independent senior living complex supports the services.

My point was that if someone was looking for a senior citizen independent living complex not run by a religious organization, just because such a place is run by a secular organization is no guarantee they still won't encounter some sort of religious leanings.
But they should also keep in mind that it's not likely any place run by a religious organization pressures people into any kind of religious observance. My mom was in a Jewish assisted care home because she was Jewish and that's where she wanted to be. Others there were not Jewish but choose to live there because it was just a good place to live.
Oh I understand. Thanks for the explanation

Again, just because something is held in the clubhouse, or now even advertised in the apartment newsletter, doesn't mean "They are supporting it" or "sponsoring it".

As I type, I am at work... in a HUD apartment where I monitor/run 5 homes. The clients were in mental institutions which have been closing down in our state. The apartment allows the church across the street to have after school daycare in the clubhouse on Fridays. There are many kids in this complex which are poor, it is subsidized housing. This is advertised in the newsletter.The apartment DOES NOT sponsor it. They DO NOT support it whatsoever. They allow it. They'll put most anything in their newsletter.

To discriminate against any group is not acceptable here. It shouldn't happen. As stated, those who cause trouble discriminating against a certain group should be talked to. Our apartment manager here would certainly talk to anyone with an attitude like that, I am sure of it. They really treat the tenants here with kindness. Everything is very fair.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
The CCRC that DH & I plan to spin out our final years began as a joint Presbyterian-First Christian-Methodist venture. We don't care, anymore than we care that we've in our lives rec'd treatment in Presbyterian, Baptist, and Catholic hospitals. It's a non-issue for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement