Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 3,271 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on non-profit retirement / Independent Living communities run by churches. I know of Jewish, Episcopal, Baptist, Mennonite, etc. ones and I am sure there are others.
My interest lies in the hope that these would have a better and less exploitative attitude toward residents compared to communities that are businesses run solely for profit.
(Please not this is not a dig at the latter; I know about those and am just interested in the alternative).
Thank you in advance for any thoughts or experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:44 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,405,257 times
Honestly you could be very happy in one of the communities you describe. But I would imagine they'd be less exploitative only as long as you adhere to their beliefs, that could be a double edged sword. Some of the best human beings I know are deeply religious/church affiliated (religious and spiritual are not one if the same IME), and some of the most hypocritical, self-righteous church going people I've ever know are also deeply religious.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:35 PM

705 posts, read 561,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherHappy View Post
I would be interested in hearing peoples' thoughts on non-profit retirement / Independent Living communities run by churches. I know of Jewish, Episcopal, Baptist, Mennonite, etc. ones and I am sure there are others.
My interest lies in the hope that these would have a better and less exploitative attitude toward residents compared to communities that are businesses run solely for profit.
(Please not this is not a dig at the latter; I know about those and am just interested in the alternative).
Thank you in advance for any thoughts or experiences.
A friendly, well meaning word of advice. This won't end well. I have learned not to discuss religion here, I was told CD has a forum for that.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Would not be a consideration when I looked at them and I'm a practicing Christian. I'm more interested in the financial statements, the quality of the food (Dad is happy with his non-church community except the food is mostly processed and/or fatty), the amenities, etc. I'm betting that quality of caregivers is more a function of how carefully they're selected and how well they're paid than any religious oversight.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:18 PM

605 posts, read 335,298 times
You're probably ok with baptist, or the mainstream religions. All people, even retired, have spiritual beliefs so it would be bizarre to restrict those discussions to a religious forum where that is really just a side-note anyhow. This is a discusion about where to live in retirement with aspects being discussed about who will be running the operation. Let's not imagine it being more than it is out of paranoia someone might mention the G word or J word. These are not bad words

Google cult. If it comes up more than 2x, it probably is. If there is any sexual crap, avoid it (catholic and their pedophiles, FLDS/Mormanism aka their child brides and polygamy and belief if they make enough babies, even on welfare, they become Gods later in life. Don't even consider any reglion out of the mainstream.

There will be pressure to attend the church, likely, at least maybe once a month. This is just basic respect.
Just don't get yourself involved with Kooks Otherwise, I LOVE the idea.

It should be less expensive. You'll likely be having fun volunteering being a part of a common community who will care for your needs as you age. Just as you will help others with their needs. Good luck !

Old 12-10-2018, 09:54 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Forget the church Medicare. Stay with the real Medicare and a supplement plan.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
My Mom is in a Presbyterian continuing care community on the memory care floor. They treat her well, she is safe, and she is clean. They do have religious services but she is not in the mental state to go to them.

I don't think she is treated well because of religiosity but that the people and such are just the kind of people who would treat her well anyway. And we are Baptists, so it is kind of a make no difference there. It is possible that the administrative aspects contain a religious service aspect that I don't see.

The Lutheran community near my home is highly regarded so that is two for two in my experience.

Bottomline, if you like a particular place and it is religious affiliated I wouldn't let that stop me from considering it. But I guess if you were atheist or a remarkably divergent doctrine from the facility's mission statement, it might not be a good fit.

either way, good luck

Old 12-10-2018, 01:11 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
No. It'll just be one more aspect of my life where I'll be told what to do.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Well, religion is difficult to get away from wherever you may go. I live in a HUD building. As everyone knows that means state-run. Yet they sponsor Catholic services on Fridays as well as other Christian observances from time to time.

If course, major Christian holidays are observed.

I understand once, long before I moved here, a woman complained about the religious services that were held here. Her argument was as a state-run place, this was not legal. She didn't get very far and earned a lot of enemies.

If you aren't a part of the mainstream religion, you just have to just accept you're in the minority and let it go. No one tells you to go to the services it's an option.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:02 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Small audience in many cases. Presumably it could work, but I wouldn't want to be tied that closely by religion/politics to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement