U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,810,256 times

Advertisements

TV in general, can’t relax and be entertained with all the commercials, and programs that don’t appeal to me.
It’s a sad state of affairs when The Holiday Yule Log is one of my favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 09:17 AM

2,896 posts, read 1,580,961 times
I am less patient & tolerant of loud & proud stupidity & that includes almost everything on commercial tv, what recently passes for political ideas in this country & my sister-in-law!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:05 AM

676 posts, read 1,327,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
deeken said: The poor people in the world are reproducing at an alarming rate and no one seems to realize this. Something must be done and no one is doing anything about it.

Please read the book "Factfullness" by Hans Rosling to learn important information about overpopulation in poor countries. The number of babies a woman has decreases dramatically in response to economic improvement. This has happened in numerous countries regardless of religious leaning or ethnicity and continues to improve as 3rd world countries improve their economies.

There are people doing something about it. This is just one of the points made in the book. Things are better than we think.
I'll definitely read the book. Stabilizing human population would solve/prevent a lot of problems. Much talked about in the 1970's, but I don't see much about it anymore.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 AM

1,163 posts, read 970,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Perhaps you were using satire, but one is forced to tolerate dimwits, the unknowledgeable and very ill-informed, the uneducated, those with low IQ's, the mentally unbalanced and outright mentally ill, those with personality disorders, the backward, those who never read in life/non-readers, fanatics, those with offensive beliefs, those lacking in mental acuity, the very odd etc when posting on City-Data forums and other online forums....if one wants to continue to post and read.

It was satire.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:43 AM

4,806 posts, read 1,824,401 times
Less tolerant of:

* Stupidity, in general

* People who refuse to research natural remedies for ailments and instead "slash and burn," take toxic chemicals, etc. It bothers me most because of the stupidity.

* People who advocate that suicide is a legitimate answer to whatever ails you and that the "stigma" should be removed. I believe suicide is murder and that there are severe spiritual repercussions, and I also think it's a horrible thing to do to one's family - and is passive-aggressive in that respect.

* People who harm animals - or harm anyone.

* People who don't take care of themselves, and expect others to take care of them and clean up their messes.

* Mean people.

* Racist, bigoted, sexist people.

* People who self-medicate or otherwise abuse substances.

* Unstable, moody, irrational people prone to fits of outbursts.

* People who judge you incorrectly.

I have grown increasingly intolerant of the above and I know my work is to accept all of it.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM

1,083 posts, read 488,343 times
People who don't bother to do any homework/research before going on a forum and asking about a topic (e.g. factual or a subject matter that has probably been researched/discussed). Clearly they have Internet access and the ability to construct a question, at a minimum they should be able to Google it first. Then if that doesn't turn up enough insight, ask. But don't ask a group of cyber-strangers to enlighten you from a blank slate state if you can't be bothered to do some legwork yourself.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:08 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
People who don't bother to do any homework/research before going on a forum and asking about a topic (e.g. factual or a subject matter that has probably been researched/discussed). Clearly they have Internet access and the ability to construct a question, at a minimum they should be able to Google it first. Then if that doesn't turn up enough insight, ask. But don't ask a group of cyber-strangers to enlighten you from a blank slate state if you can't be bothered to do some legwork yourself.
But it seems many posters enjoy being instructive to the less-educated. They like to share their knowledge. Navigating Google isn't as easy as it seems to some. I have asked questions 100 different ways sometimes, or the answers may be over someone's head.

I try to preface my questions with "I spent a couple hours on Google, and...."

For example, the recent thread on pensions evaporating. I know so little about pensions to begin with, I wouldn't know how to frame a question on Google to explain how or if this can really happen. I was thinking of asking here but now you've intimidated me---LOL. Kidding (sort of).

Old 12-13-2018, 11:33 AM

1,083 posts, read 488,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
But it seems many posters enjoy being instructive to the less-educated. They like to share their knowledge. Navigating Google isn't as easy as it seems to some. I have asked questions 100 different ways sometimes, or the answers may be over someone's head.

For example, the recent thread on pensions evaporating. I know so little about pensions to begin with, I wouldn't know how to frame a question on Google to explain how or if this can really happen. I was thinking of asking here but now you've intimidated me---LOL. Kidding (sort of).
I agree, Google can't answer everything. The most recent example that comes to mind, someone recently asked why domestic violence victims don't just leave. That's an extensively researched/discussed topic and has been for a number of years. Not that it doesn't deserve further discussion, but coming at it from a completely uninformed place (and having made no effort to rectify that) is something I find myself less tolerant of (i.e. I'm quicker to say "try googling it" instead of crafting an explanation from scratch and doing the work to educate someone).

Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM

1,200 posts, read 992,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

I disagree. Navigating Google is pretty easy. It wouldn't be the most popular search engine if it wasn't.

In fact, all I have to do is highlight the terms you wrote, "pensions evaporating" and right click on it and a menu pops up asking if I want to do a Google search on the highlighted terms. Then when I pick that action from the list, Google shows an article that is titled, "Pensions Evaporating, Why it's Fair."

About the only way this could be easier is if I had my dog do it, but he's still perfecting sit, shake, down and hold!

Old 12-13-2018, 02:00 PM

1,629 posts, read 557,035 times
I had an Etsy shop for several years and one of the first things I learned was that there's a HUGE range of "search skills" among internet users. That's why good SEO is such an important skill to acquire.

You'd be amazed at how simplistic some people can be in their searches, and also at how out of left field some search terms end up being. There are people who will input something like "1930s gold necklace" and then complain that they can't find what they're looking for because there are too many results. There are also people who will input "vintage 1930s art deco brass gold red rhinestone costume jewelry necklace" and complain about the same thing. Meanwhile the seller who actually has something that might be relevant has put only the following tags on their item: "vintage necklace", "gold necklace" and "choker necklace" and complains that they are on page 500something of the search results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or