U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 02:02 PM

2,446 posts, read 2,076,850 times

Advertisements

I get annoyed when there is a line of people standing at the checkout and by the time the person in front of you gets ready to check out, they can't find their money. grrrr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 03:11 PM

6,645 posts, read 2,396,792 times
As I've gotten older, I've come to realize more and more, that there is a world of stuff I know nothing about. Now...that's great, for the most part, because there's always something to learn.

So, what aggravates me are the people who think they. know. it. all., and speak with such authority...and yet, they lack any kind of experience of which they speak.

It'd be different if said people said "In my opinion, I think such and such" but too many people out there don't bother.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:16 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,899 times
This constant obsession with taking " selfies. I know 2 middle aged women on Facebook and that is all they post. I know an older man who traveled to London and all he posted was a selfie of himself on the plane. I find it all to be oh so shallow.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM

12,737 posts, read 14,101,964 times
Probably who/what I am most frequently intolerant about is the the geysers of annoyance that shoot out of my consciousness too often. I'm going on eighty-one in so-so health and that crap is a true waste of time, so I try to make a very conscious effort to see the annoyance for just that and let it go.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 PM

4,586 posts, read 903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
Useless, scratchy industrial toilet paper. The kind you find at every store, work place, school, military base, airport, restaurant, etc, etc. This has actually been a life long pet peeve of mine but yea, as I get older it makes me grumpier. Charmin or nothing is my motto. I have even been known to carry a roll with me; there's one in my truck and my work desk drawer right now, and I am absolutely not kidding!
I turned 32 on 9/4, so I am not at retirement age yet. That said, you have a crappy pet peeve that you let go to waste.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,270,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
But it seems many posters enjoy being instructive to the less-educated. They like to share their knowledge. Navigating Google isn't as easy as it seems to some. I have asked questions 100 different ways sometimes, or the answers may be over someone's head.

I try to preface my questions with "I spent a couple hours on Google, and...."

For example, the recent thread on pensions evaporating. I know so little about pensions to begin with, I wouldn't know how to frame a question on Google to explain how or if this can really happen. I was thinking of asking here but now you've intimidated me---LOL. Kidding (sort of).
I wondered the same thing and did some googling. Turns out Mcdonell Douglas very illegally targeted that Tulsa plant specifically to avoid paying pensions. Their pension plan was specifically designed to pay very little if one left the company before age 55 with less than 30 years. They were found guilty and fined $36M, but were supposed to pay an additional $90M in lost wages and pension. The disgusting part is they got the $90M overturned, and after lawyer fees each of the pension eligible laid off people only got about $30k, lump sum. Truly was a horrible and unethical company.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:24 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 25 days ago)

8,728 posts, read 10,859,792 times
You see through the BS of certain things and don't want to engage in it anymore.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:24 AM

8,817 posts, read 7,722,693 times
Many people are just plain evil, immoral cheats and liars. Theres plenty more I could mention. I dont make excuses for them, I just tend to avoid them.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:01 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post

I wondered the same thing and did some googling. Turns out Mcdonell Douglas very illegally targeted that Tulsa plant specifically to avoid paying pensions. Their pension plan was specifically designed to pay very little if one left the company before age 55 with less than 30 years. They were found guilty and fined $36M, but were supposed to pay an additional $90M in lost wages and pension. The disgusting part is they got the $90M overturned, and after lawyer fees each of the pension eligible laid off people only got about $30k, lump sum. Truly was a horrible and unethical company.
Thank you for researching this pension case!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or