U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:04 PM

9,367 posts, read 6,254,641 times

Advertisements

Rude and stupid people. And, people who run traffic lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM

1,165 posts, read 971,503 times
I think I have gotten more patient with people as I have gotten older, especially strangers. Having worked in in-patient

psychiatry previously, gave me a lot of perspective on the situations of others.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:22 PM

10,145 posts, read 4,039,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I think I have gotten more patient with people as I have gotten older, especially strangers. Having worked in in-patient

psychiatry previously, gave me a lot of perspective on the situations of others.
Me too. I'm in my late 50's, and I'm much more tolerant of people than ever before in my life. I'm willing to give everyone a pass, thinking maybe they are struggling with something that's not apparent to the eye.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
People who are oblivious to their friends and family and general surroundings because they cannot get their nose out of their cell phone.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:51 PM

111 posts, read 80,802 times
operators on phones... seems putting someone on hold for hours is ok now adays.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:53 PM

18,088 posts, read 22,943,598 times
I no longer put up with people who don't show up on time. I might give you one free pass with a really dang good excuse, but, I won't put up with it on a regular basis.

People who don't put in their fair share of a group bill, such as a restaurant bill. I have learned to take plenty of cash in various denominations when going out with a group. I put in my fair share, including tip now and let everyone else duke it out with their debit and credit cards. Learned the hard way not to get stuck with more than my fair share.

And otherwise, I just don't put up with people who are rude or I just don't like anymore. If I find out someone I don't like is going to be at an event, I just don't go to it. I don't stress over that. I don't guilt trip anyone else who wants to invite that person. I just say, no thanks, I don't want to spend time around anyone who is rude to me or other people, etc., but hey, you're welcome to enjoy them. I'll see you at another event. And no, they won't change my mind, and no, I won't make them choose me over the other person.

I also have learned to take my own vehicle to any event where I might want to leave early, which is 99% of the time. I like to have the option of leaving when I want, without any drama or having to deal with convincing anyone else to leave at the same time.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 AM

5,439 posts, read 2,760,875 times
What are you less tolerant of as you've gotten older?

Today? Everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
People who enter the freeway at 40 mph and then take a half mile to get going.
You would have loved me yesterday.

We have one highway entrance that is unique in this area. Not only is it a half mile long, it also slopes down a hill at the beginning. Yesterday I had the misfortune of turning onto it behind someone who was tootling along at the lightning speed of about 30mph.

So because it's two lanes till it merges near the end, I hit the gas and passed them. On an onramp. At 60mph and I kept going because that's what highway speed is. When I looked back, they still hadn't gotten the message. I swear they pulled out on that highway doing maybe 40.

And people here do that constantly. What the...? Seriously. Who goes so slow that someone passes you on a highway entrance? Only in this town.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:31 AM

5,941 posts, read 5,298,958 times
People that are late.

People that take too long looking at the menu, especially when it is a place they have been to 100 times.

People that let their children misbehave in public.

People that tell long stories that no one cares about.

People that get stressed out. I have seen posts on CD where people quit sending Christmas cards because of the stress involved in doing so.

And from many posts on CD, people that don't know the meaning of racist, introvert, and friend.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:58 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,661,951 times
I do not suffer fools gladly.

I notice I have become intolerant of nearly every act that is even slightly foolish, inconsiderate, or selfish, and am at risk of becoming an angry old curmudgeon.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:09 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I no longer put up with people who don't show up on time. I might give you one free pass with a really dang good excuse, but, I won't put up with it on a regular basis.

People who don't put in their fair share of a group bill, such as a restaurant bill. I have learned to take plenty of cash in various denominations when going out with a group. I put in my fair share, including tip now and let everyone else duke it out with their debit and credit cards. Learned the hard way not to get stuck with more than my fair share.

And otherwise, I just don't put up with people who are rude or I just don't like anymore. If I find out someone I don't like is going to be at an event, I just don't go to it. I don't stress over that. I don't guilt trip anyone else who wants to invite that person. I just say, no thanks, I don't want to spend time around anyone who is rude to me or other people, etc., but hey, you're welcome to enjoy them. I'll see you at another event. And no, they won't change my mind, and no, I won't make them choose me over the other person.

I also have learned to take my own vehicle to any event where I might want to leave early, which is 99% of the time. I like to have the option of leaving when I want, without any drama or having to deal with convincing anyone else to leave at the same time.
I agree as I have been held hostage by having to stay somewhere I really didn't want to be due to no escape vehicle. Never again! My wife and I always drive separately to holiday inlaw get-togethers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or