Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,135 times

Advertisements

While I don't like some of the things or behaviors cited in this thread, I have to wonder whether they are direct responses to the thread topic:

"What are you less tolerant of as you've gotten older?"

If so, does it mean the posters did not find these behaviors objectionable in their younger days? Does it also imply that we oldsters become more intolerant, crankier, no longer willing to suffer fools gladly etc?

My observation is that people tend to retain their personality, temperament and life outlook throughout their life. Bad life experience or health issues can and do change a person's disposition but I don't believe that to be the case for many of us here.

Speaking for myself, I think that I have become more tolerant of others as I get older. I have never suffered fools gladly but instead of 'straightening them up', I will either find gentle ways or words to correct them or just stay away from them. Life is too short (and becoming shorter and shorter as we get older) to waste time being annoyed or all riled up over little things or things that you can not change!

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-10-2018 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 11:38 AM

705 posts, read 561,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I will either find ways to gently find ways or words to correct them or just stay away from them. Life is too short (and becoming shorter and shorter as we get older) to waste time being annoyed or all riled up over little things or things that you can not change!
You are right, life is too short. I try hard to live by 'live and let live'.

Honestly, most things don't get to me. I have reason's for the things that do bother me. I said I have a problem with people going out while sick spreading their cold, flu, etc...because even a simple cold can be dangerous to me (and others like me) at this point in my life so I have to stay home during the cold/flu season. It will make for a long winter.

Another thing that I said bothered me was people that blow their nose at the table in restaurants. I have a somewhat weak stomach these days and that simply doesn't help matters and I was taught it was bad manners but I would never correct a stranger for anything that bothered me and I don't get riled up, we just leave. That is where my intolerance begins and ends.

The last thing on my list was about people that chain their dogs in the yard. I've seen this done to animals and IMO it's cruel for a dog to live his life on a chain. Again, I never said a word to the people that did this but it still hurt knowing about it.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:49 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Having watched a bad movie.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Everything. I no longer have any patience.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:27 PM

157 posts, read 91,449 times
Useless, scratchy industrial toilet paper. The kind you find at every store, work place, school, military base, airport, restaurant, etc, etc. This has actually been a life long pet peeve of mine but yea, as I get older it makes me grumpier. Charmin or nothing is my motto. I have even been known to carry a roll with me; there's one in my truck and my work desk drawer right now, and I am absolutely not kidding!

Last edited by TattedCOdude; 12-10-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 01:37 PM

705 posts, read 561,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattedCOdude View Post
Useless, scratchy industrial toilet paper. The kind you find at every store, work place, school, military base, airport, restaurant, etc, etc. This has actually been a life long pet peeve of mine but yea, as I get older it makes me grumpier. Charmin or nothing is my motto. I have even been known to carry a roll with me; there's one in my truck and my work desk drawer right now, and I am absolutely not kidding!
Quilted Northern ultra plush, now that is some soft toilet paper.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:39 PM

157 posts, read 91,449 times
Costco Charmin...the gold standard! Lol.

Walking down the hall at work carrying a roll of TP pretty much announces your intentions, but I am just old enough not to care anymore.

Last edited by TattedCOdude; 12-10-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2018, 03:26 PM

33 posts, read 34,613 times
Beggars, especially those who don't explain why they need my money. Example is gofundme to pay for funeral of spouse. They don't say if they have a huge life policy or why not. They seem to think any problem is a reason to beg. Some will take charity even if they got no damage from hurricane but someone was handing things out. Some don't ask friends and family but will beg online. I will only help people i know, when i know why they need help.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:06 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
^^ People are much less ashamed to beg now than they were 40 years ago or so, I think, and I think that is sad and a reflection of modern times.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:04 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,449,287 times
I get very annoyed by people on online forums that fail to recognize that my opinions are right and theirs are wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement