U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2018, 10:05 AM
 
Location: SoCal
13,225 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Reputation: 9827

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Mr. Dole is 95 years old. He is no young spring chicken anymore.
Exactly my point. He is still a functioning person, except he is in a wheel chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2018, 11:30 AM
 
11,983 posts, read 5,115,487 times
Reputation: 18729
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Exactly my point. He is still a functioning person, except he is in a wheel chair.
And how many of us here will live to be 95 and be a functioning person? 1 or 2 percent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 11:42 AM
 
673 posts, read 2,028,657 times
Reputation: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Exactly my point. He is still a functioning person, except he is in a wheel chair.
Long life - Strom Thurmond, Ronald Reagan, Kirk Douglas, Bob Dole, Jimmy Carter, George H W Bush - all provided the best medical treatment in the world. What if these men had been coal miners, steel workers, pest control techs, painters, firemen, etc. Probably would have been dead long ago, especially if they got in a position with no healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
Reputation: 4451
Well, I’m none of those. Are you? The point is you have to weigh a MORE distinct possibility of being alive well in to your 90s, if there is nothing on the horizon that looks like it will shorten it. Plenty of people in high stress jobs like theirs living TODAY to that age. My chances go up significantly of making it since 95 is still 35 years away for me. Dear lord, that is almost an eternity in medical improvement years. So income required in those years CAN become significant.

I encourage people to file early. It helps the SS system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 992,710 times
Reputation: 3208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Well, Iím none of those. Are you? The point is you have to weigh a MORE distinct possibility of being alive well in to your 90s, if there is nothing on the horizon that looks like it will shorten it. Plenty of people in high stress jobs like theirs living TODAY to that age. My chances go up significantly of making it since 95 is still 35 years away for me. Dear lord, that is almost an eternity in medical improvement years. So income required in those years CAN become significant.

I encourage people to file early. It helps the SS system.
Actually it doesnít help SS either way because as has been posted many times some will live to 95 and get more and some will die out and collect less.

At the end to each itís own, choose what you think itís best for you and enjoy retirement wether itís short or long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 02:12 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,225 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Reputation: 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Long life - Strom Thurmond, Ronald Reagan, Kirk Douglas, Bob Dole, Jimmy Carter, George H W Bush - all provided the best medical treatment in the world. What if these men had been coal miners, steel workers, pest control techs, painters, firemen, etc. Probably would have been dead long ago, especially if they got in a position with no healthcare.
I donít buy this argument. If money is no object, then Steve Jobs and Paul Allen would live forever, not died younger than 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 02:17 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,225 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Reputation: 9827
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
And how many of us here will live to be 95 and be a functioning person? 1 or 2 percent?
I don’t know how many here, because I don’t know them in real life, but I have 2 aunts still functioning as cooking and walking unassisted in their 90s, 2 of my brother’s in laws, my husband’s uncle just died at 95, his father at 91, all functioning till the last day, my two ex-neighbors were 93 and 98, survived breast cancer and heart attack.

You also forget, Mathjack often posts here the survival rate of people after age 65, the odds are pretty high for a couple. Something like 40-50% among a couple to survive until their 90s. Plus the average life expectancy from birth is now 78 or 79. So I suspect many live into their 90s, maybe in a wheel chair, maybe with a cane.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-12-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 03:19 PM
 
2,443 posts, read 2,070,942 times
Reputation: 5690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Long life - Strom Thurmond, Ronald Reagan, Kirk Douglas, Bob Dole, Jimmy Carter, George H W Bush - all provided the best medical treatment in the world. What if these men had been coal miners, steel workers, pest control techs, painters, firemen, etc. Probably would have been dead long ago, especially if they got in a position with no healthcare.
I'm not sure it due to good healthcare but more like they had careers where they didn't beat up their bodies or be exposed to harmful chemicals as much as a lot of professions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM
 
Location: RVA
2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
Reputation: 4451
The people listed above had active professional lives well after “normal “ retirement age. That isn’t a coincidence.

SS WAS actuarially neutral 30 years ago. Not today. The more people that file early the less that is paid out because of the longer average live spans. If one wants to be politically incorrect then they would recommend thise with a hard life, low life time incomes, etc to filenlater “for their own good” and the affluent professionals to file early because “it doesn’t really matter, so keep your investments”. In those scenarios, each group would collect less lifetime benefits than if they reversed positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 03:48 PM
 
71,520 posts, read 71,712,424 times
Reputation: 49105
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t know how many here, because I don’t know them in real life, but I have 2 aunts still functioning as cooking and walking unassisted in their 90s, 2 of my brother’s in laws, my husband’s uncle just died at 95, his father at 91, all functioning till the last day, my two ex-neighbors were 93 and 98, survived breast cancer and heart attack.

You also forget, Mathjack often posts here the survival rate of people after age 65, the odds are pretty high for a couple. Something like 40-50% among a couple to survive until their 90s. Plus the average life expectancy from birth is now 78 or 79. So I suspect many live into their 90s, maybe in a wheel chair, maybe with a cane.
yep , odds are 47% one in a couple will see 90 and 73% one will see 85 .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top