U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 01:44 PM

2,782 posts, read 996,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think in real life people do morph into different jobs or careers. The argument that their bodies give out at 62 keeps popping up as a straw example. Maybe these guys just want to quit at 62.
We can only speak for ourselves, we really do not know anyone else’s standing on their physical, mental nor economic status.

At the end as I keep saying everyone must look at their own situation and choose what’s best for them and not what we say on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 01:49 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
I think in real life people do morph into different jobs or careers. The argument that their bodies give out at 62 keeps popping up as a straw example. Maybe these guys just want to quit at 62.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
We can only speak for ourselves, we really do not know anyone else’s standing on their physical, mental nor economic status.

At the end as I keep saying everyone must look at their own situation and choose what’s best for them and not what we say on this forum.
I don't think very many workers bodies gave out on the nose at 62. Probably within the 10 years before that and they hung on until the first possible exit which is 62 unless they went SSDI route. Then again there are perfectly healthy 62 year olds that just said enough is enough with working and retired.

Everyone's situation is different. I do know this, when a person retires, they need something to fill the void. I have been off 3 weeks with a medical issue and kind of going bonkers in the dead of winter. Perhaps I will need to take up knitting or quilting during retirement. Counting cars going by has gotten really boring.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:04 PM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post

Neither do I. Even my non educated cousin own a shop. She made other people work for her. Single mom with 5 kids, her husband died when she was 25, never remarried, kids gone to Harvard. But you hear people here on CD come up with unbelievable scenarios.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM

2,782 posts, read 996,614 times
Quote:
Neither do I. Even my non educated cousin own a shop. She made other people work for her. Single mom with 5 kids, her husband died when she was 25, never remarried, kids gone to Harvard. But you hear people here on CD come up with unbelievable scenarios.
And sadly many people do have “unbelievable scenarios” that thankfully most of us do not have to face. As I said we don’t know what is going on in anyone’s lives or how they are able to handle them.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:17 AM

203 posts, read 74,877 times
Default Sadly sometimes that does not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Then again I have come across some lazy people that didn't want to do anything much less the shortest most efficient way.
At times I broke the rules to be more efficient. And it paid off. But then you get the reputation of not being a team player and all that nonsense. You did not follow the rules! Often they want you to be a zombie and do whatever management says no matter how stupid. It gets annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or