U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 PM

897 posts, read 329,347 times

Advertisements

My surgeon also did not recommend the newer multi lenses and prefers the traditional ones. But I have one for distance and the second for mid distance, which focuses about the distance of a computer screen. I use cheap glasses for reading fine print at night.

So good to be rid of the dazzling lights at night, the glare from the sun distracting me from driving and it is good to be rid of glasses most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,922,685 times
I am 68 and just had my eye exam. Alas, he said cataracts are forming. We didn't really talk about when they would need to be addressed, I just assumed when they eventually are "formed", I'd have to have them removed. I did ask about whether I could then go without glasses (I wear progressives now) and that's when I found out about the different lenses and upgrades. It sounded to me like if I wanted to be able to go completely without glasses (the top upgrade), it would cost around $4K per eye! WHATTT? I don't hate my glasses enough to take $8K out of the old retirement fund. My distance vision is only slightly off so it's not like I'm blind. And I think it would be a hassle to take reading glasses on and off or wear them on a chain or whatever. I told him if I were going to spend $8K, I'd rather have liposuction or a facelift. He didn't seem to find that amusing, but I was serious. And I think these days glasses are a cool accessory rather than being the old "four-eyes" look. Especially now that the current trend is larger frames, which are better for my progressive lenses.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:03 AM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
My wife and I both had cataracts, We went to 2 different ophthalmologists for different opinions. They both recommended Toric Lenses. We ended up doing those and it's the best decision we ever made. Drive at night no problem, daylight I do not need sunglasses, everything is so unbelievably sharp and clear. Both docs said would never need another surgery again. Worth the extra cost.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM

1,641 posts, read 563,626 times
I've worn glasses (for nearsightedness) ever since grade school but I've never worn them all the time and wouldn't want to. Obviously I had to wear them during school hours to be able to see the board clearly, LOL but one of my first opthalmologists told me and my mother that I should only wear them for distance, not all the time because then I'd "become dependent on them." Although I never hated glasses, I hated the idea of eventually 'needing' to wear them ALL the time, thus I was selective.

I have always worn prescription sunglasses because I have blue eyes that have always been sensitive to light; and so to grab my sunglasses whenever going outside is second nature to me ever since childhood. My sunglass tint is 35% brown which is quite dark. Polarized and non-reflective lenses on both indoor and outdoor glasses.

Never could wear contacts, my sensitive allergic eyes wouldn't tolerate any of 'em. I did try but none were worth the expense and hassle. I'm fine with just wearing my distance glasses as needed.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:11 PM

31,015 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
This is where Medicare + Supplement and Medicare Advantage makes a difference. Medicare Advantage will tell you that you don't need it. Your full Medicare doctor will get the job done.
I don't think any medicare advantage plan or supplement will cover the optional lenses for cataracts.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 AM

6,566 posts, read 8,098,810 times
My supplement to Medicare is an employer subsidized one that includes prescription and dental coverage for my wife and I. It is a good plan but tends to expect me to have some skin in the game up to a yearly maximum for out of pocket costs so Im sure the better lens will cost me extra.

Im 71 now and have had three prescription glasses over my life. All adjustments including the initial glasses were from playing golf. Each time I could not see the golf ball roll to a stop so went to see my eye doctor to fix it. I never wore sun glasses and was outdoors a lot so that is a big source of my current cataracts along with age and genetics I suppose.

I see well enough to drive at nights and even better vision days of course but there is a glare sense I get now that I did not from before which is signalling me the time for the surgery is near.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
At a younger age I know a person with very poor eyesight (needed thick glasses) had cataracts removed and lenses put in. Could now see and read without glasses. Still used glasses but could get a long without them if they had too.

When I had the first surgery on the left eye, its vision was 20/200. The cataract was blocking almost all vision. The eyes try to even out vision but it just makes things murky. And the good eye was growing another catarac, quite fast. The doctor said do the newer surgery, with the situation so diminished already. I was happy to agree.

I still use glasses for reading as it didn't 'fix' the close up vision, but it would degrade as well. I get for fifteen dollars three pairs of reading glasses off amazon. They are strong and well made, the vision they give is excellent, and the glasses themselves are sturdy and comfortable. A LOT of the less expensive ones have plastic lenses.

I was simply astonished when I got the surgery, wishing it had come years before and with the excellent vision with the reading ones, I have better vision than in literally YEARS. Never thought that bionic eyes could see so well!

Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
My wife and I both had cataracts, We went to 2 different ophthalmologists for different opinions. They both recommended Toric Lenses. We ended up doing those and it's the best decision we ever made. Drive at night no problem, daylight I do not need sunglasses, everything is so unbelievably sharp and clear. Both docs said would never need another surgery again. Worth the extra cost.

That's what I have. Close up it still doesn't provide, but only in terms of printed size letters. I didn't help the difficulty my eyes have following a line sometimes. Good close up glasses will easily fix that, but having the good distance vision I have now is worth all the worry. The left eye still is not fully 'clear', but it was in very bad shape. After all the other trys it is wonderful.

I'm lucky that as I was already disabled I was under medicade. The surgeries were paid for fully. With my left eye and the mess unsuccessful trys had failed, that could have been a very expensive thing. But it was the only one which would do more than a temperary fix. When you choose surgery, the best option is to not do it one step at a time as it often won't last and will not fix things. But get a complete list of just what is not working. With me it was the left eye almost completely, so it required a lot more exacting fixes.

You don't mention income, but if you might be eligable for medicade with your *current* budget they will help pay for medical needs beyond what Social Security can. Its worth persuing the option just in case. Check with your state if there are any sort of programs either locally or statewide which also work with ss. But keep getting the eyes checked. They can diminish vision quickly or more slowly, in which case sometimes you don't really notice as much.

Talk to more than one doctor too, as with all the options, you'll get a variety of options and prices.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,756,281 times
I have a friend who paid for a multi focal lens and wasn't happy. So it will vary by person and you don't know in advance. I got the near/far option. I need glasses to drive at night especially in unfamiliar territory. I can read OK without glasses like when I am shopping but I get the drugstore readers and just poke out one of the lenses for when I am on the computer or reading a lot.

I go a prescription for bifocals that I could wear always but never filled it. My driving glasses correct for distance so one lens is thicker than the other but still thinner than before surgery.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM

1,318 posts, read 834,094 times
I had my cataract surgery early this summer. I didn't opt for the Toric lenses which cost so much more and my ophthalmologist said he didn't recommend the Toric for me.

I opted far vision as I hate wearing glasses to drive. I wore contact lenses for several decades before needing bifocals, and I knew how much clearer things are without glasses which partially block your view.

I don't mind wearing readers for using the computer or reading books. You can pick up readers for $1 at DollarTree -- but I did recently order the half-moon reading glasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement