U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 AM

6,232 posts, read 4,721,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
....... I love the idea of having a built-in social life, all the activities, other people in the same phase of life, etc. .......

Years ago my wife and I visited a number of over 55 communities. They can be very different. Begin by accessing the average age of the residents. We found some with lots of 55 residents, many were still working, many were very active with sports and other activities. We also visited others which were more like death camps with old residents passing time until they died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 AM

566 posts, read 248,379 times
Bought a place in one. Wasn't ready for that lifestyle even though I'm well over 55, so it's rented. Great investment!

Old 12-11-2018, 06:29 AM

4,566 posts, read 4,433,844 times
Thanks for all the replies so far (and sorry I started a new thread on an apparently common topic ).

Lots of varied opinions here for sure! I hadn't previously thought about the likelihood of not being able to fence our back yard for a dog. That would be a negative. If the vast majority of residents were a lot older than us that could be a negative, unless they were of the "young at heart" mindset.

And in reading this and other threads that I have now found (using the correct/magical search term ), I think that being around sticklers and complainers about HOA rules would drive me insane. I've lived in many HOA neighborhoods, but I can see how retirees with too much time on their hands could make a hobby out of watching for infractions!

I'll probably still visit the Del Webb at Lake Providence community on my next house hunting trip in Nashville. But I think I'm now leaning toward finding my social life in ways other than a 55+ community (newcomers club, boating club, Meetup groups, plus I'll be around FAMILY again, how glorious!!!!) ❤️

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
We moved cross-country and finding new friends and activities was high on our list of needs. We'd already seen what it was like to live in regular communities for our whole life. Pretty much everyone goes to work by 9 am and that leaves retirees at home in a ghost town with no one around except a few young stay at home moms and little tykes. We like the instant feeling of community we found here in our community, which while not technically 55+, is mostly retirees anyway due to marketing.

The communities can be very different from each other. Some are cookie cutter-like Del Webbs where all the houses look alike and yard are maintained by the HOA. Others are more individual. Some have older populations, others have a lot of newer 50's and 60's folks. The age range can sometimes influence the activities. Some have activities that are basically bingo and trips to the mall, others have everything from kayaking and motorcycle clubs, to quilting, to line dancing. Visit the ones you are serious about, and actually take the time to stay there for a few days if possible to get a real taste of it.

For communities in the Southeast try www.realestatescorecard.com. These tend to be larger more affluent communities, but the website gives you nice photos, some idea of the amenities, and even reviews by actual residents.

OP, while in Nashville, take a drive out of town to Crossville and check out Fairfield Glade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement