U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM

4,566 posts, read 4,433,844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. This is my first post in the retirement forum though I've been active at CD for years.

I've been retired a few years, hopefully hub will be too within a couple years. We plan to purchase our retirement home in the Nashville TN area (near family) as soon as we find "the right one." I'll bounce between Nashville and our current town until hub retires.

Were debating between buying our retirement house in a "regular neighborhood" vs one in an active over-55 community. I love the idea of having a built-in social life, all the activities, other people in the same phase of life, etc. If we don't buy in an over-55 place now, I suspect we'll end up moving to one down the road when we're older, maybe in 10 years or so (we have moved lots, so one more move would not be a big deal).

Do you any of you have experience (personal or through friends), good or bad, with such communities? Would you say they're a good fit for active people in their late 50s?

(Sorry if this topic has been discussed already. I would have thought it was a common topic here, but I couldn't find any such threads.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
threads on 55+ communities
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=34682565

Old 12-10-2018, 02:06 PM

1,656 posts, read 1,522,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
This did not work for me.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:14 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
Go to 'Search Forums' at top of the page

click on 'Advanced'

put '55+' into search box

choose 'threads' (not 'posts')

choose 'any date'

choose Retirement forum in choice of forum

Old 12-10-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Go to 'Search Forums' at top of the page

click on 'Advanced'

put '55+' into search box

choose 'threads' (not 'posts')

choose 'any date'

choose Retirement forum in choice of forum
I guess my problem was that I used "over 55" as my search term.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:44 PM

5,392 posts, read 6,530,997 times
I bought at age 55 when my work transferred me to Orlando. I am now 67 and am putting the house on the market and hopefully move to a downsized lifestyle near but not too near family in TN.

i live in a normal SFR community and it is very nice and positives all the way. The age range is from young marrieds to retirees and the cycle commences again and again when a retiree sells, young couple move in have family etc.

the thing I don't like about living the SFR subdivision life is that unless you have other retiree friends, you are kind of out of the flow of the community and become isolated (folks are busy raising their families, etc) Now if you have long term friends to meet up with, it doesn't matter where you live or who your neighbors are. But if you don't it can be lonely.

What I do like is the sense of neighborhood. I made an effort to be kind toward the children when I moved in and as a result these children now grown stop by to see me when they are home from college, etc. I haven't made the same effort with the newer crop of little kids because I am tired of being the neighborhood grandma. But I have good neighbors who do look out after me as I do them and although not friends that relationship was cultivated through these years.

For a new community when I move,I wouldn't mind the instant life of a 55+ community and having neighbors with common interests. Having clubs where you can meet like minded souls would be nice. My parents lived in a 55+ community and it was a God send for them as my Mom had to deal with Dad's final illness. People were helpful and walked the same path more or less. My MIL lived in a 55+ community and did not get along but she was a tough one to deal with anyway.

So I would be open to a 55+ community or I wouldn't mind a condo in an area where there were more retirees than young families.

FWIW, hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:01 PM

73 posts, read 88,213 times
If you are looking in the Nashvile area for over 55's, Del Webb in Mt Juliet is really nicely done. We don't live there but have visited several times. They are building another one in Spring Hill, south of Franklin. Probably less than 100 homes completed there so far.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bab123 View Post
If you are looking in the Nashvile area for over 55's, Del Webb in Mt Juliet is really nicely done. We don't live there but have visited several times. They are building another one in Spring Hill, south of Franklin. Probably less than 100 homes completed there so far.
Yes, thanks, the one in Mt Juliet is where I saw a house that might work for us, if we decide to go for a 55+ community.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
When you are in your late 50's you will likely be the kids on the block. We moved into one at age 66 and we were. We are now 70 and the turnover is causing us to not be the "kids" now.

We are in Sun City Summerlin in Las Vegas and if you're lucky the one you move to will be as good as this one.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:52 PM

11,262 posts, read 8,421,299 times
Be sure you know the rules upfront. There may be restrictions on, for example, having the grandkids over for theweekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement