U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:01 AM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
This is a duplicate thread - did you forget you already posted the other one??
They are similar, I agree. But the other one has to do with what would make someone HAPPY in retirement. This one has to do with GOALS and FOCUS.

For example, someone might say that they would be happy in retirement if they lived in their dream home and a million dollars in reserve -- but that might not be a realistic goal for them. That being the case, perhaps their focus and goal would then be to develop some new interests and work in an animal shelter.

To further explain, I already listed what would make me happy on the other thread (enough money, nice home in nice location, good food and wine, good health, enjoyable pastimes, no bothersome or annoying relatives or neighbors, and contentment with what we have and no anger, bitterness or resentment about what we don't have). However my focus will be my husband and and my goal will be to just enjoy life to the best of our ability for as long as we can.

Again, I do understand your confusion/question, though!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2018 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 12:15 PM

3,442 posts, read 1,532,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To find temperatures above 70 degrees from Nov to April !!!
Zero latitude, my man!

Old 12-13-2018, 03:30 PM

20 posts, read 9,525 times
My goals for retirement are:

1. to grow spiritually as a person (through a 12 step program, yoga, prayer, meditation, reflection and just by generally slowing down the pace of life)

2. to be connected to the out of doors/nature (this also supports #1)(gardening, hiking, running, sitting on the beach etc.)

3. to travel, again in a slower way by renting an apartment someplace for a month, for example, and shopping, cooking meals, etc. to get a sense of "living" there.

4. to nurture personal relationships/connections, with my spouse, children, other family members, friends and other human beings.

5. to learn new things and relearn others (for example, to once again become a proficient Spanish speaker)

6. to be of service to those around me, both through volunteer activities and just day to day.

7. to read.

8. to simplify and have less stuff

9. to be as healthy as possible both mentally and physically by eating well, resting enough, exercising, having community

Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM

1,518 posts, read 974,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think that everyone wants to be as healthy and live as independently as possible, have financial security, and have as little stress as possible, so leaving those things aside, what else is very important -- or do you think will be very important-- to you in retirement?

I don't want to limit the answers in any way, but here are some suggestions that are important to some people (feel free to add your own):

- Family/Friends
- Living with a Spouse, Life Partner, Roommate/Best Friend, or Close Family Member
- Continuing to Work (paid job or volunteer)
- Creative Pursuits or Hobbies (be specific, please)
- Religion/Spirituality
- Mental Stimulation
- Physical Exercise (walking/hiking, going to the gym, golf, or whatever)
- Travel
- Pets and/or animals in general

(Please list as many as apply to you.)
Having a late 70s to early 80s BMW 6 cylinder in pristine condition.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 AM

4,718 posts, read 10,316,418 times
Oh I hear you. It’s just a matter of where!

These winters are killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Zero latitude, my man!

Old 12-14-2018, 04:45 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times

Old 12-14-2018, 04:48 AM

4,840 posts, read 4,954,521 times
Ultimate goal: A Painless, quick death.

Old 12-14-2018, 04:52 AM

71,584 posts, read 71,730,589 times
until death do we part is not as much a wedding vow as a goal !!!!!

Old 12-14-2018, 05:04 AM

113 posts, read 45,870 times
deleted duplicate

Last edited by pullin2; 12-14-2018 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 05:16 AM

113 posts, read 45,870 times
I want to live an unscheduled life.

For the last 55+ years starting with grade school, I've been driven by schedules. Get up, get dressed, get to school, get to class, get to work, finish the assignment/thesis/report/project on time or bad things will happen.

My plan is to have no plans at all, beyond those necessary to get through the day. And to the extent possible, remove the chronological constraints from my activities.

When we began finalizing retirement plans, our FA instructed us to go to our separate corners and write down what we wanted in retirement (without consulting each another).

Here's what I wrote:

The primary change in retirement will be the disengagement from the tyranny of clocks and calendars. For 40+years, every trip, vacation, pastime, or hobby has had the shadow of a return-to-the-grind looming over our enjoyment. Our fun has always been bounded by work or school (or kids’events). And it always seems to follow apattern of: Hurry there… Hurry and have the fun… try not to think about the approaching Monday… Hurry home, and Hurry up get the laundry/lawn/etc. completed before we hurry back to work (sometimes wondering why the hell we even bothered to go). Usually trips are a week or a long weekend. Sometimes they’re a whole two weeks, but the return to work is always pending, and always a nightmare of unfinished obligations and (literally) hundreds of emails and frantic calls from coworkers wanting us to “fix” something. Breaking this mold will be one of the primary pleasures of retirement.

What I actually want inretirement… truthfully and accurately is; to sit in a chair on a beach, wiggle my toesin the sand, and relax in the knowledge that I will leave when I’m good and [cussword] ready… whether that’s a week or a month away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or