Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 08:13 AM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

I think that everyone wants to be as healthy and live as independently as possible, have financial security, and have as little stress as possible, so leaving those things aside, what else is very important -- or do you think will be very important-- to you in retirement?

I don't want to limit the answers in any way, but here are some suggestions that are important to some people (feel free to add your own):

- Family/Friends
- Living with a Spouse, Life Partner, Roommate/Best Friend, or Close Family Member
- Continuing to Work (paid job or volunteer)
- Creative Pursuits or Hobbies (be specific, please)
- Religion/Spirituality
- Mental Stimulation
- Physical Exercise (walking/hiking, going to the gym, golf, or whatever)
- Travel
- Pets and/or animals in general

(Please list as many as apply to you.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:10 AM

605 posts, read 335,239 times
-Health. breathe easier due to cleaner air
-Friends. plenty of outdoorsy types to do things with
-Healthier "entertainment" options. Hiking club for example
-Nature. Living within the animals, birds, etc seen from the front porch
-Able to have a small side business
-Live in a small town where the pace is slower
-Mountains, lakes, rivers abound
-Live within a National Forest or somewhere recreation oriented.
-Quieter so we can sleep
-Better Cycling. Harder workouts. Higher elevations closeby to tackle
-Cleaner water
-Able to volunteer in a volunteer oriented community
-Nicer home for the $$
-prefer fast internet
- Bare minimum of a few restaurants, gas station, post office, and a store within a 5 min drive. Not necessarily open all year
-prefer access to medical services nearby
-prefer a longer growing season
-Inexpensive places nearby to travel for a weekend getaway
-Seasonal jobs within walking distance preferably where they actually hire local Seniors. Ability to supplement SS if necessary

Last edited by BumbleBeeHunter; 12-11-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 09:16 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,749,142 times
Main goal is everybody in my family to stay healthy. Next is to do more travelling. My feeling is so many places to see, so little time. Next is I get to paint more of my travel pictures, again it’s so many pictures I want to paint and so little time. Somehow, my husband and I are so busy doing things for our house, we wonder how did we manage to work and do all these things before.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-11-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 10:01 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
The OP list is interesting. Been retired for over two years and it took me a while to figure my new life out. Never had a desire to travel. But my focus is on relationships. God and people. My music-flute, sax and mandolin. Dealing with a nondisabling health issue. We live a mile from a national forest so outdoor activities are a focus. Hike,bike ski. Figuring how to connect with my community.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:24 AM

157 posts, read 91,449 times
Planning to retire in under 7 years. I want to be able to exercise, ride bicycle, etc. on my timeline and not squeeze it in after a long day. Traveled all over the Mediterranean and Africa in the Navy so now want to go see some other places...Asia, Scandinavia, N. Europe. I'll probly buy another motorcycle to tour around the US as well. Had a fairly serious accident a few years ago but came out of it ok; vowed I wouldn't ride again during my working life...but I still love being in the wind. Have never been musically inclined but would love to learn the guitar so I might take some lessons. Been working since I was 13 so plan on doing a whole lot of chillin' and take what comes each day.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:01 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,373,765 times
My number one goal is to spend some quality time with the Wife, and hope to travel more. As it is, as of today, for the past 17 years, I work second shift and other than weekends, see her 20 minutes a day. I will likely go another 7-8 years to keep her covered under my Health Insurance, but definitely looking forward to spending more time with the woman I've loved for 39 years....everything else is secondary.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:06 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,193 times
I have a huge list to things we want to do, but for me, I have an overriding near-term goal for now. I expect this to take about two years start to finish, but the goal is to produce a full CD of my own music, mastered in my own studio, playing all the instruments on it- except drums (I have Hydrogen for that, apologies to MathJak, and yes, I know, I know). I have already started phase 1, and am recording/re-recording early tracks to learn and master the mix-down capabilities of my studio software. Wife is a music lover, and is totally on-board with this, so it works well for us.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,741,584 times
Having lots of fun.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Set and setting. I don't want to live in an environment I find depressing. I want to live in a place that makes me smile every day.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
To find temperatures above 70 degrees from Nov to April !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement