U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:38 PM

31,608 posts, read 19,939,787 times

Advertisements

My husband has turned his OCD in the direction of gardening. He has redone all the plant areas with plants we gathered while hiking, has been propagating new plants, installed drip lines, built me planter boxes, he is growing kale, eggplant, basil, cilantro, papaya, oregano, tomatoes, green onions, and chinese pea pods.

I love the plants he has put in because most can be brought in for flower arrangement: pikake, all kinds of Ti and ginger, plumeria, heliconia, hibiscus..... he has done an amazing job, but I had to redirect him a bit. We are moving in a year, so house maintenance got moved up the list.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 08:27 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I used to love gardening, but gave it up when living in the high desert. Bad water, harsh weather.

I've successfully raised pickling cucumbers on my streetside balcony and made terrific bread n butter pickles, coveted by all (no pickles to speak of, here). I have horseradish on the seaside balcony. We're in a condo, but there is some non-used patches of dirt, and a whole terrace on the flat roof nobody uses.

I can't crouch or kneel due to bad knees, but container gardening is doable. Any of you retirees gardening, despite arthritis or other issues, and is it rewarding for you as a hobby, or more of a PITA? I'm thinking more of vegetables here, but any input is appreciated.

We're by the ocean so have to select hardy vegetables. I read no sweet corn, waaaah.
But I might try it anyway. I'm partially motivated by boredom, partially by veg's we can't get here.
I envy your location. Sounds like fun to me.

I live downtown in a big city in a high rise seniors apartment building. My favorite is Spring when I plant scads and all manner of flowering bedding plants in pots and window boxes on my huge balcony. I add a new kind of flower every year. It's my greatest joy.

The only that is hard is lugging the bags of soil. Its a bit much for me.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:40 PM

19,825 posts, read 18,832,665 times
I now live in a seniors apartment so gardening is a challenge. The soil is clay. So this summer was mostly a failure. I didn't even know where the garden centers are. Turns out, you have to go to Lowe's or Home Depot.

Luckily, I had saved some tomato seeds. In mid summer, I finally found a spectacular plant farm way out in the country.

It's been a struggle figuring out how to attach hanging planters to the balcony rail. Also, by mid summer the gutters were so full that rain would cascade off the roof and erode the soil, exposing the roots of my plants in the ground by the front door.

So winter will be a time to figure it all out, go over the notes I wrote this summer, and try to be prepared to deal with the obstacles. I want at least 2 containers of nasturtiums. So easy to grow, so colorful.

There will be one tomato plant in a pot...away from where the rain crashes down from the roof. I'll add to my tiny perennial garden of various bell flowers if it hasn't all been washed away. At least this year I'll have good soil! Been working on building compost and finally have a full container on the balcony. ☺

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-12-2018 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 02:02 AM

17,372 posts, read 21,218,356 times
Coming from MN to Tucson where you can plant Zone 9 plants, with a bad knee and neck problems, I wasn't going to let that get in my way of planting one of everything! And yes, I've even had to pick axe through Caliche! And I managed, in addition to my 30+ other plants to plant 2 Guava trees and a Tangerine tree.
And there's still some space left for veggies or herbs, but it's a shaded area so I don't know how well they'll do lacking sunshine.

I'm also landscaping, using these curved scalloped bricks and I've created a long sinewy serpentine snake from the front to the back of my yard, and all painted bright white. It has had a real Wow effect on my neighbors!

Physically, I'll pay for all this, but it will be worth it. I look at plants like human beings or pets, I talk to them, encourage those that aren't doing so well, touch them and those that don't perform at all, well, my guess is they just don't like my neighborhood or their planted neighbors. I had one plant I ran out of patience with after 2 months as it wasn't growing at all. Why, who knows! Perhaps the plant was born under the sign of Scorpio and his neighbor was an Aquarian, and they just couldn't live that close together.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:35 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
tjlover, when I have plants not thriving, I move them to another location in the yard. My son was the one who told me I just hadn’t found the right spot for a plant and needed to move it. I was stuck on making a plant work where I wanted it to be, not where it needed to be.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:30 AM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
This sort of topic typically will only attract those who are interested in the activity. I thought I would post a balancing point of view. I really dislike gardening and all sorts of yard work.

Vegetable gardening is a very expensive, time consuming endeavor. Years ago I thought I could save some money growing vegetables. Anyone who has tried it knows better. Now I do like the taste of fresh picked vs the stuff that was picked days and days before and shipped from California. No problem. The local farmers market provides a great alternative. The food is fresh, low cost, and I get what I want, when I want it. In my neighborhood, I have not seen anyone attempting any sort of serious vegetable gardening.

There are those who want the manicured lawns, shrubbery and flower gardens. In fact about half of the yards are well manicured. Few homeowners do it themselves but there are endless numbers of "landscapers" coming and going on a daily basis. Spring cleanups, mowing, and the big Fall cleanups can cost well into the thousands of dollars. I fall into the other group with "rustic" style yards. We have lots of trees so little concern about trying to grow grass in the shade. Instead we have a lot of ground covers. We do have some areas of grass but fortunately we also have the variety of those beautiful yellow flowers that break up the monoculture. When it finally comes time for dealing with the Fall leaves and debris, I have a powerful leaf blower and I blow the leaves to the back of the yard for natural composting.

Instead of gardening, I do other activities instead, including lots of travel.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This sort of topic typically will only attract those who are interested in the activity. I thought I would post a balancing point of view. I really dislike gardening and all sorts of yard work.

Vegetable gardening is a very expensive, time consuming endeavor. Years ago I thought I could save some money growing vegetables. Anyone who has tried it knows better. Now I do like the taste of fresh picked vs the stuff that was picked days and days before and shipped from California. No problem. The local farmers market provides a great alternative. The food is fresh, low cost, and I get what I want, when I want it. In my neighborhood, I have not seen anyone attempting any sort of serious vegetable gardening.

There are those who want the manicured lawns, shrubbery and flower gardens. In fact about half of the yards are well manicured. Few homeowners do it themselves but there are endless numbers of "landscapers" coming and going on a daily basis. Spring cleanups, mowing, and the big Fall cleanups can cost well into the thousands of dollars. I fall into the other group with "rustic" style yards. We have lots of trees so little concern about trying to grow grass in the shade. Instead we have a lot of ground covers. We do have some areas of grass but fortunately we also have the variety of those beautiful yellow flowers that break up the monoculture. When it finally comes time for dealing with the Fall leaves and debris, I have a powerful leaf blower and I blow the leaves to the back of the yard for natural composting.

I agree with you. Gardening isn't for everyone and it can be quite expensive. Just lawn maintenance alone can cost you a lot of money every month depending on where you live and how obsessed you are having the perfect lawn. Just check out the Garden Forum to see obsessions with having a perfect lawn, LOL.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 AM

11,120 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Vegetable gardening isn't expensive if you don't buy a bunch unneeded stuff. Seeds are a buck or two. Dirt is dirt.

Now, if you go out and buy special containers and special potting soil, and a bunch of gadgets and tools, it will add up. But all that is optional.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:23 AM

11,969 posts, read 5,106,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Vegetable gardening isn't expensive if you don't buy a bunch unneeded stuff. Seeds are a buck or two. Dirt is dirt.

Now, if you go out and buy special containers and special potting soil, and a bunch of gadgets and tools, it will add up. But all that is optional.
Totally agree with you also. It depends on where you live. You may not have a choice but to plant in containers and use store bought soil. Also, in desert areas, it takes a lot of water to keep vegetables hydrated and healthy, and you can see a large difference in your monthly water bill depending on the size of your garden.
I once lived in a town with a local water district in So Cal desert. I had a few small trees and shrubs on irrigation. I never had a lawn or any kind of vegetable garden there. My water bill averaged $150 a month. That was just water, not including trash. I can only imagine what it would have been if I had any kind of garden.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,664,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Of course a thread on gardening will attract those of us interested. I naturally gravitate to kindred spirits, online and in real life. I love having my hands in the dirt, tending plants, watching the seasons go by and being in touch with the natural world. It’s not about money, hiring landscapers, perfection or being unable to do anything else. Gardening doesn’t exclude other activities, but simply adds another dimension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or