Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 PM

75 posts, read 54,498 times

Advertisements

Many here have seen it rapidly advance and I am just curious what your thoughts are? Does it bother you? Do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times
Since many of us began using computers very extensively at work 30 years ago around 1987 and then at home shortly afterward, it has seemed like a natural progression of technology.

And since our jobs required using a computer extensively 30 years ago, it is commonplace, along with having a computer at home shortly afterward.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 PM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Since many of us began using computers very extensively at work 30 years ago around 1987 and then at home shortly afterward, it has seemed like a natural progression of technology.

And since our jobs required using a computer extensively 30 years ago, it is commonplace, along with having a computer at home shortly afterward.
I totally agree. It's not like we were living in caves 30 years ago.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:15 PM

9 posts, read 10,844 times
Plus on the above, I had home computers starting with the Sinclair ZX2 and an Apple ][e, then used an IBM PC at work, got a compatible machine (NCR, IIRC) and finally began building an ongoing series of computers starting with a 486/66.

Looking back, though, the most change is in communications. From my early childhood of having a party line with one dial phone on the kitchen wall to modern smartphones has been pretty dazzling. All along it's seemed normal, as things have progressed, but on looking back it's been very amazing and GOOD.

Jury still seems to be out on how smartphones are changing human interactions and socialization, though. I think we'll end up adapting just fine.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:46 PM

705 posts, read 561,967 times
I do enjoy my computer and I enjoy streaming what I watch on TV because I can find a lot of the old shows that I enjoyed. With that said, I could live without my computer, iphone and any of the other things we have today, except my AC.

All in all I think the advances are a blessing and a curse. I seldom see kids playing outside anymore like we did as kids. I also see more and more people with their faces glued to their iphones EVEN while driving. I personally think human interaction is suffering a great deal. If I could rewind the clock (not to make me younger) I would do it in a skinny minute. I could go on and on but.......
Anyway, before anyone tells me how stupid I am. This is JUST MY Personal Opinion.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Being a die-hard introvert I adore smartphones. Imagine being able to wait in a doctor's office or *anywhere* without having to make eye contact! Paradise.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:25 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,676,974 times
I have always been a SF fan. The big thing I notice is that cell phones have pretty much put an end to the "radio in the head" ESP stories that were so common 50 years ago. Cell phones are ever so much more reliable than telepathy.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:49 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,425,125 times
Well 90 year olds were 10 in 1938, they've seen a lot. Everything was pretty well the same for a very long time before the industrial revolution.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:50 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
It's been reported that 90-percent of all the data in the world has been generated over the past TWO YEARS! Yet, who is really in shock or awe over that statistic? https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernard.../#200aea0e60ba

If today's technology were suddenly dropped into our lives 50-60-years ago, we would have been amazed and marveled as if it was alien technology. Who (then) could have imagined laptop or tablet computers; phones more powerful than room size computers, but, smaller than a deck of cards; an internet 'machine' on phones/computers that one could ask any question and get almost an immediate answers; 85-inch color TV's in living rooms; ... plus hundreds of other space, medicine and electronic advancements.

However, except for World's Fair predictions or science fiction movies, people simply absorb most incremental technology advancements into their daily lives. Although we may not always fully understand how things work or their full implications for our lives, unless one has lived in a cave, even retirees take most things in stride.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:59 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
for What has it been like you seeing technology advance so much?

Crazy, still trying to wean myself off my Abacus and still working on beating PONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement