U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 04:27 PM

151 posts, read 104,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
It's hard to imagine that these same folks would say these ugly things to a person face-to-face.
Attribute their comments to keyboard courage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,139,362 times
Online some people are a-holes because no one can punch them in the face. Try that behavior in real life-faces get punched

Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 PM

11,932 posts, read 20,383,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As a writer, author, widow and sensitive soul, I like this particular forum ("Retirement") because I've observed that (generally) folks here are kinder and gentler and more thoughtful of other people's feelings. Maybe it's a feature of age, or learning good manners early on, or having the hard edges shaved off by life's difficulties.

However...

Following up on that thread about - are you more polite now than you were in younger years...

There were two commenters on that thread who said that they were "very polite" (paraphrasing) and yet I have seen those two rip people apart on other posts.

It seems like too many folks on the CD forum just browse the threads looking for a way to antagonize people or start an argument or cause an upset. It's hard to imagine that these same folks would say these ugly things to a person face-to-face.

Do posters here stop and think about what the person on the other end of that computer is going through? Or how their words might hurt someone else?

In fairness, the good and kind commenters well outnumber the mean-spirited folks, but those bad apples do indeed threaten the whole barrel.
Iíve always thought that a lot of people have very little control over their lives and online posting is their own little kingdom, where their rule is law.

And, the ignore function is pretty vital.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:26 AM

1,293 posts, read 948,212 times
Some people definitely should put the entire word on ignore to save everybody's feelings.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:26 AM

2,439 posts, read 3,661,951 times
I try to be polite and non-judgmental in my postings. However; I have learned from emailing at work that the intent of a quickly typed message is often misinterpreted - and almost always in a negative manner by the receiver.

Brevity can be interpreted as callousness. A story of experience can be interpreted as "I told you so", or "I am smarter than you".

I find the Educational Forum to be the nastiest. I have never visited the Political Forum.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:38 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
How can something go away that was never here?

Old 12-12-2018, 04:57 AM

3,714 posts, read 3,120,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post

Are you talking about compassionate dodo birds? I was thinking the same thing. They were extinct before the internet came around.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,166,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post

So true. I understand that there's a "$h*tlist" going around, giving names of the most unpleasant and vitriolic posters here at C-D. I'd like to see that, so I can put *all* of them on my ignore list.

Apparently, there are people who just enjoy being mean-spirited. I'd like to stay as far away from them as possible.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:09 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
If you are really sensitive, perhaps posting on internet forums is a mistake. Of course, real life social interactions can also be very disappointing.

It seems to me that most interactions on this forum are quite polite, even when the topics are highly controversial with diverse opinions. Vigorous moderating seems to be in place. Rather than seeing a lot of "mean-spirited folks", I see a lot of posters who seem to be looking for sympathy and they often vent long, sad stories. Many seem to be chronically depressed or are house bound. Others seem to make up their sad stories. The bottom line is the internet is not a good substitute for real life social interactions.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 AM

6,045 posts, read 5,799,079 times
I agree that you need to grow yourself a "turtle-back" that enables you to let stuff that is offensive to you roll off your back. The internet does allow one to be "a master of their immediate domain," and, unfortunately, that means, at times, a callous, non-caring response to posts that get their goat.

Let's face it - we're all different. And our brains are complex, made by a Creator who's a level of intelligent that puts all of us collectively-combined to shame. Doesn't it just seem possible that, at least sometimes, we're not going to agree with something someone else posts on the internet? Of course it does.

Don't go into that turtle shell. Spout out as you want to with the turtle shell backing to protect you from all of the bull#$%^ the internet has to offer. It's still full of information that can be helpful, interesting and enlightening. It's all in how you perceive it and how you react to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or