U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:27 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,381,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't use the ignore button but I use the Ignore position in my eyes...when someone I knows is attacking my info, I automatically just scroll on down the road. I know who these souls are now and it's kinda "fun" to counter every now and then with like:
Iíve watched you being sometimes bullied or ostracized over on the Health forum for years now from posters who just hate anything alternative. Iíve always admired your thick-skinned tenacity and helpful commitment to sharing your alternative health experiences and knowledge with other posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM

6,469 posts, read 3,381,549 times
Sometimes the internet brings out the VERY VERY BEST in us also.

I followed the Paradise Fire thread on the California Forum and it was so amazing the wonderful concerned people who reached out to quickly help and advise posters caught in the fire. Links for help were shared as was PMs for personal reaching out to help, and quick insurance help and ways to get through the bureaucratic slog. Lists posted on available housing and first aid. Deep concern, loving support, and condolences poured out daily.
It was a wonderful refresher course on how kind and helpful most people really are, and how powerful the internet can be in helping people with quick answers.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:36 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,894,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is such an insightful post! I hadn't thought of that analogy before, but I think you are absolutely right!

(However, if it was a private party that I was hosting, I simply wouldn't invite people whom I knew to be pugnacious, rude, etc., etc., LOL!)
That's where anonymity comes in; it's likely that online some (small subset, I hope) of those people are "pugnacious, rude, etc., etc.,". In my social circle, probably 90% of people voted the same in the last US presidential election but no one ever says they didn't vote that way (probably because the rest of us might become "pugnacious, rude, etc., etc.,").

Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 4,782,330 times
Reachthebeach, I think you have explained this well. We all tend to join groups or associate with people who are like us with similar beliefs. Unfortunately it is then easy for us to see others who are different as the enemy with all sorts of bad traits. Such behavior goes a long way in explaining religious persecution, nationalistic wars, and even fights at the soccer stadium. It does make life easier and give us a feeling of acceptance and those group beliefs are a lot easier to adopt than trying to use reason and logic to make decisions.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM

1,226 posts, read 367,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Rosemary, perhaps you could put those people on Ignore? I do, and although the list now consists of "only" about 20 or so posters, it has made my CD experience much more pleasant.

Also, I am not sure what posts you meant, but sometimes (I have learned) people sometimes take offense when none is meant, and when that happens to me -- when I get an "ugly" response 'out of nowhere' -- if the poster is usually "nice", I will ask for clarification because sometimes I have misunderstood something. I am not saying that is the case with you, but I am just mentioning it as a possibility.

But. yes, I definitely do agree with you, and made a thread about it that is now 59 pages long!

Why do some posters seem to enjoy attacking "nice" people?
We can put people on ignore? Seems I learn something new every day. Coming from the Craigslist forums this place is very peaceful.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:14 AM

9,785 posts, read 7,077,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Many people seem to feel uncomfortable and even attacked when they hear something that is contrary to their opinions. Associating with like minded people is a common solution. Screw diversity.
Exactly. They view any disagreement with their opinions, perspectives on any given topic as a personal attack.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 AM

6,770 posts, read 1,418,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
We can put people on ignore? Seems I learn something new every day. Coming from the Craigslist forums this place is very peaceful.
Yes, if you click on your username in the Welcome box on the top right corner, then click on "My Settings" on the left, and then go to the Control Panel on the left and go down to Options, you will see "Edit Ignore List". Just click on that and follow the directions.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:19 AM

5,550 posts, read 4,141,769 times
While I see people that don’t walk on eggshells, I seldom ever see anyone who is so bad that that I’ve used the ignore function. I agree some people should not be on the internet discussion forums if they are that thin skinned if the ignore feature isn’t working for them.

I think the mods do a pretty good job of stopping things before they get out of hand most of the time.

For the benefits I get I have no problem looking past a few posters I don’t care for.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:34 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,565,698 times
I think posters are pretty polite on this forum. I have no one on "ignore", partly 'cause I don't care that much and partly because I like to play a game to see if they will respond predictably in the manner they have in the past. I admit to being occasionally surprised to see someone responding "out of character". I have changed my mind on a few posters, for the better, mostly. So I would have missed that by "ignoring".

It would be entertaining to see if we could identify a poster by their writing style alone---without names. I enjoy everyone's different writing styles. I think the "frank" ones are sometimes misunderstood by us sensitive types, but we can learn from that. Lots of good advice, too.

I would never come across the diversity I find here, in real life...so it keeps drawing me back! I see a lot of compassion here, as well. I've never felt "attacked".

Old 12-13-2018, 10:47 AM

6,770 posts, read 1,418,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
While I see people that don’t walk on eggshells, I seldom ever see anyone who is so bad that that I’ve used the ignore function. I agree some people should not be on the internet discussion forums if they are that thin skinned if the ignore feature isn’t working for them.

I think the mods do a pretty good job of stopping things before they get out of hand most of the time.

For the benefits I get I have no problem looking past a few posters I don’t care for.
Yes, the Mods almost always do a good job!!

The only people I personally put on Ignore are those who, in my opinion, are very frequently mean-spirited and/or those who seem to be extremely bigoted against anyone who is not Euro-white or who are so extremely liberal that reading their posts actually makes me angry. I simply neither need nor want any anger or nastiness in my life, so why should I knowingly subject myself to either if I can avoid it?

(Btw, as I might have already mentioned on this thread, I now "only" have 21 people on Ignore -- and some of those have not posted in months, so that is pretty good, I think, when you figure that I read posts from literally a hundred or more different posters almost every day!)

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2018 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or