U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,297 posts, read 2,680,040 times
Reputation: 4557

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, the Mods almost always do a good job!!

The only people I personally put on Ignore are those who, in my opinion, are very frequently mean-spirited and/or those who seem to be extremely bigoted against anyone who is not Euro-white or who are so extremely liberal that reading their posts actually makes me angry. I simply neither need nor want any anger or nastiness in my life, so why should I knowingly subject myself to either if I can avoid it?

(Btw, as I might have already mentioned on this thread, I now "only" have 21 people on Ignore -- and some of those have not posted in months, so that is pretty good, I think, when you figure that I read posts from literally a hundred or more different posters almost every day!)
I am aware of the ignore feature, but have never used it. I thought that when you put someone on ignore, that meant that you wouldn't see any of their posts. Is that the case or am I mistaken?

The part I bolded in your comment is what is confusing me. If they are on ignore and that means you don't see their posts, then how do you know if they have posted or not? Do you maybe just see their name, but not what they said?

Please help me understand how this works. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM
 
6,566 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Reputation: 16626
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I am aware of the ignore feature, but have never used it. I thought that when you put someone on ignore, that meant that you wouldn't see any of their posts. Is that the case or am I mistaken?

The part I bolded in your comment is what is confusing me. If they are on ignore and that means you don't see their posts, then how do you know if they have posted or not? Do you maybe just see their name, but not what they said?

Please help me understand how this works. Thanks!

YES. When you put someone on Ignore, instead of seeing what "XYZ" wrote, you will see something like, "This post is hidden because XYZ is on your Ignore list." There is also a "button" you can click on if you want to take the person off your Ignore list.

P.S. When I wrote that some of the people on my Ignore have not posted in months, that was actually just a guess on my part because I have not SEEN that they have written anything for months and I am a very frequent visitor to City Data, as you may have noticed, lol!!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-13-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,297 posts, read 2,680,040 times
Reputation: 4557
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
YES. When you put someone on Ignore, instead of seeing what "XYZ" wrote, you will see something like, "This post is hidden because XYZ is on your Ignore list." There is also a "button" you can click on if you want to take the person off your Ignore list.

P.S. When I wrote that some of the people on my Ignore have not posted in months, that was actually just a guess on my part because I have not SEEN any of their posts in months and I am a very frequent visitor to City, Data, as you may have noticed, lol!!
Thanks so much for your reply and explanation. And yes, I know you are a frequent visitor to CD because I see a lot of your posts. We must follow a lot of the same threads. Your username is very familiar to me.

Thanks again for your reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,551 posts, read 953,519 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks so much for your reply and explanation. And yes, I know you are a frequent visitor to CD because I see a lot of your posts. We must follow a lot of the same threads. Your username is very familiar to me.

Thanks again for your reply!
There is also a "view post" link above the "remove them from the ignore list" link to click on to see individual posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 01:23 PM
 
10,208 posts, read 12,245,054 times
Reputation: 14085
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As a writer, author, widow and sensitive soul, I like this particular forum ("Retirement") because I've observed that (generally) folks here are kinder and gentler and more thoughtful of other people's feelings. Maybe it's a feature of age, or learning good manners early on, or having the hard edges shaved off by life's difficulties.

However...

Following up on that thread about - are you more polite now than you were in younger years...

There were two commenters on that thread who said that they were "very polite" (paraphrasing) and yet I have seen those two rip people apart on other posts.

It seems like too many folks on the CD forum just browse the threads looking for a way to antagonize people or start an argument or cause an upset. It's hard to imagine that these same folks would say these ugly things to a person face-to-face.

Do posters here stop and think about what the person on the other end of that computer is going through? Or how their words might hurt someone else?

In fairness, the good and kind commenters well outnumber the mean-spirited folks, but those bad apples do indeed threaten the whole barrel.
Shut the #$%$^#* UP! Hahahaha, just kidding!

I think part of it is that the reader takes the replies as they see them, regardless if that is how the author was trying to express themselves. Without inflection, mannerisms it can be interpreted many ways so online or in texts sometimes the true meanings are lost, misinterpreted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Surfside Beach, SC
2,297 posts, read 2,680,040 times
Reputation: 4557
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
There is also a "view post" link above the "remove them from the ignore list" link to click on to see individual posts.
Thanks for the information. At this point, there's no one I want or need to put on ignore, but I do like to know what all it entails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,034 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Reputation: 66385
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Shut the #$%$^#* UP! Hahahaha, just kidding!

I think part of it is that the reader takes the replies as they see them, regardless if that is how the author was trying to express themselves. Without inflection, mannerisms it can be interpreted many ways so online or in texts sometimes the true meanings are lost, misinterpreted.
This is true. Someone a few months ago posted a terrible story of how they were treated at a health facility. I responded that if I didn't know better, I'd think the story was made up.

The poster immediately took offense, somehow reading that to say I was accusing her of making up the story. I couldn't get it through her head that what I wrote meant exactly the opposite.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Status: "I am Blessed." (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,402 posts, read 3,964,576 times
Reputation: 8785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One reason I like C-D is that it provides a nice blend of anonymity with neighborliness.

Many of us on these boards have been posting for years. We know a lot about each other, but generally, not enough to dox or be up in each other's personal business.
Really? You're a 30 something on a Retirement forum and you use urban speak? I had to look up the meaning of this (on UrbanDictionary.com). Please remember what generation you are and what generation you are speaking to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 PM
 
6,566 posts, read 1,348,237 times
Reputation: 16626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Really? You're a 30 something on a Retirement forum and you use urban speak? I had to look up the meaning of this (on UrbanDictionary.com). Please remember what generation you are and what generation you are speaking to.
LOL! I don't think a month goes by that I don't have to look something up on the online Urban Dictionary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Upper Left Hand Corner
2,551 posts, read 953,519 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
LOL! I don't think a month goes by that I don't have to look something up on the online Urban Dictionary!
Me too, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top