Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 02:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,584,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
And away we go...

LOL.

Off to find that ignore button!
I don't use the ignore button but I use the Ignore position in my eyes...when someone I knows is attacking my info, I automatically just scroll on down the road. I know who these souls are now and it's kinda "fun" to counter every now and then with like:

We just will have to agree to disagree.

The older I've gotten the thicker the skin but it seems mostly here on this forum.

I'm on a couple others and they are nothing like C-D...wonder why that it is...C-D has been around a long time as I note on members join dates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,781,756 times
Besides the anonymity, you end up getting in conversations with people who have little in common with you as far as what they believe and why. At big social events or other functions, like usually attracts like and small social circles form where the majority of people are nodding as others in their circle speak. Most debates aren't that heated. Online, every subject up for discussion is announced to everyone in the room and it's one big discussion that includes all the people with incompatible views that would have separated into different small social circles.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Besides the anonymity, you end up getting in conversations with people who have little in common with you as far as what they believe and why. At big social events or other functions, like usually attracts like and small social circles form where the majority of people are nodding as others in their circle speak. Most debates aren't that heated. Online, every subject up for discussion is announced to everyone in the room and it's one big discussion that includes all the people with incompatible views that would have separated into different small social circles.
One reason I like C-D is that it provides a nice blend of anonymity with neighborliness.

Many of us on these boards have been posting for years. We know a lot about each other, but generally, not enough to dox or be up in each other's personal business.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:12 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,538,130 times
Quote:

And also often would have separated into social groups by socio-economic level and status, often into social groups by educational level, and often into groups by beliefs.....unlike on online forums.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:17 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,077,930 times
Many people seem to feel uncomfortable and even attacked when they hear something that is contrary to their opinions. Associating with like minded people is a common solution. Screw diversity.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:59 AM

19,507 posts, read 9,043,989 times
Quote:
This is such an insightful post! I hadn't thought of that analogy before, but I think you are absolutely right!

(However, if it was a private party that I was hosting, I simply wouldn't invite people whom I knew to be pugnacious, rude, etc., etc., LOL!)

Old 12-13-2018, 07:07 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,503,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Uh-huh. Given all your oblique and (dare I say, itchy with a b) references elsewhere obviously you don't like someone pointing out when you are wrong. I'm beginning to think that no one has ever dared to cross you before, so this is new and you don't like it.

Spoiler alert: If you keep posting risible stuff, some people will disagree with you.

And for the record? Everyone carries a burden.

This is my last word on the subject, as squabbling is a violation of C-D rules.
I always enjoy your posts Fluffy, because you are so frank. I like that. I don't get my feelings hurt over critical responses. I usually just go somewhere else for a while, and then I forget all about it.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,973 times
I find that the length of the thread also has some thing to do with it. seems like the longer the thread the higher the chance that it's nasty. for some reason by page 10 it has broken down into verbal nastiness.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:16 AM

88,089 posts, read 83,946,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Thank you so much, Katharsis! I'll read that link tonight when I'm home again. It's a great question and one that has puzzled me.

You're 100% right that I need to learn how to manage the ignore button. I've got three posters in mind right now. I swear, one of them is following me around and commenting on most of my posts. I don't like that.

One poster attacked me for using the word "thusly" and then questioned the truth of my statement that I was a professional writer! Seriously? What in the world? Some of this stuff just leaves me shaking my head.

Thank you for this post. It helps a lot.
But remember that someone else responded to that poster with a counterpoint about "thusly"!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 AM

19,507 posts, read 9,043,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I find that the length of the thread also has some thing to do with it. seems like the longer the thread the higher the chance that it's nasty. for some reason by page 10 it has broken down into verbal nastiness.
I have noticed the same thing, but depending on the subject, many times it doesn't take nearly that long.

It is almost funny that a thread that asks an innocuous -- to most people, anyway -- question that I take (or intend to be taken if I am the creator of the thread) to be a "just for fun" or "just curious" kind of thing, that most people will simply answer or discuss in a friendly way, will often take a very nasty turn with just one post. It's almost like a little boy who throws water on a group of ants just to watch the effect, and that will be the signal for others to join him and add to the "fun", too.

I think that's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement