U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 07:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 3,003,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Hate those pay walls. They are everywhere.

Go into Incognito Mode or Private Browsing------whatever it is called on your browser. Only a few media websites have figured out how to deal with that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 PM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Everyone here is talking as though every elder has Alzheimer's or dementia. According to this article, 1 out of 8 older people have this disease, 16 percent of woman over 71 and 11 percent of men. So that's hardly the reason so many Americans end up in dying alone in nursing homes or at least are aging alone.
People get old and need some assistance when they do. That doesn't mean the majority are incapacitated in bed and not able to recognize the people around them.
So, I go back to believing it's more a cultural thing here where generations have separated themselves from each other and are never again to be united as a family under one roof. This isn't the case in most other countries.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/stati...-disease-98794

Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Lots of people can’t be bothered so they put mom and dad in a nursing home where “they will get the help they need”. Basically be forgotten.
There is really no reason to be alone. Old doesn’t mean yoy can’t have a girlfriend or companionship.
The alone being talked about in the WSJ article and in general is not the alone of being in a nursing home.

It's the alone of not having a spouse because of death or divorce or never being married or not having a significant other close relationship.

The alone discussed is also not only not having a spouse or significant other relationship, but also having no children or having children who live in other states or not geographically close, or children who are not available for a wide variety of reasons emotionally and/or physically.

The alone discussed is also not having relatives in touch or close-by or in existence; the same with friends.

As for having a "girlfriend/boyfriend or companionship", it is not at all always easy to find someone and not always easy to find one when one has the effects and limitations of older ages. It certainly is not a given to find someone, as suggested.

Last edited by matisse12; 12-14-2018 at 10:28 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 09:50 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,448,244 times
From the WSJ article:

"Baby boomers are aging alone more than any generation in U.S. history, and the resulting loneliness is a looming public health threat. About one in 11 Americans age 50 and older lacks a spouse, partner or living child, census figures and other research show. That amounts to about eight million people in the U.S. without close kin, the main source of companionship in old age, and their share of the population is projected to grow."

“The effect of isolation is extraordinarily powerful,” says Donald Berwick, former administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. “If we want to achieve health for our population, especially vulnerable people, we have to address loneliness.”

"The Trump administration is looking at expanding faith-based partnerships to combat isolation among seniors, says U.S. Assistant Secretary for Aging Lance Robertson. Earlier this year, the British government appointed its first minister of loneliness to tackle the issue."

"More than one in four boomers is divorced or never married, census figures show. About one in six lives alone."

Old 12-14-2018, 11:46 PM

20,741 posts, read 13,749,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Warning - paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lon...ne-11544541134

Here's a new article from the WSJ about "aging alone." What do you pin that on? Late in life divorce? Lack of support from children/not having children? Widowed? How do you plan for aging alone or do you not anticipate it?

Have been speaking about this on this and other CD forums for some time now. It was predicted we would see an uptick of middle-aged to seniors aging alone. Sadly a large number of these are now and going to be females who can least afford to go it alone.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 PM

20,741 posts, read 13,749,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Warning - paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lon...ne-11544541134

Here's a new article from the WSJ about "aging alone." What do you pin that on? Late in life divorce? Lack of support from children/not having children? Widowed? How do you plan for aging alone or do you not anticipate it?
Again have said this before, WSJ merely blocks link backs; but you can easily find an article by doing an internet search (Google or whatever) using article title.

Took me all of two seconds to find the WSJ article using keywords: "Loneliest generation".

Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 AM

229 posts, read 123,103 times
Default Aging

We are in our 50's and moved my 86 year old mother in with us last year. She moved from another state in order to do that and I am probably one of the lucky ones that didn't have to fight with a parent to give up driving.

She didn't want to be alone or drive anymore and wanted to make the decision before there was an emergency.

But, she misses Florida and it has been an adjustment for all of us. She isn't difficult to live with in the sense she is demanding, but her unhappiness is apparent. Thankfully, she is healthy with no chronic illnesses.

My husband works 2nd shift in order to take her to the usual errands/appointments she might have i.e. haircut, grocery store, bank etc. It works for us at the moment, and the trade off is we don't have to spend weekends fitting in everything.

It isn't easy... you just figure it out along the way I suppose.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:32 AM

11,985 posts, read 5,119,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
We are in our 50's and moved my 86 year old mother in with us last year. She moved from another state in order to do that and I am probably one of the lucky ones that didn't have to fight with a parent to give up driving.

She didn't want to be alone or drive anymore and wanted to make the decision before there was an emergency.

But, she misses Florida and it has been an adjustment for all of us. She isn't difficult to live with in the sense she is demanding, but her unhappiness is apparent. Thankfully, she is healthy with no chronic illnesses.

My husband works 2nd shift in order to take her to the usual errands/appointments she might have i.e. haircut, grocery store, bank etc. It works for us at the moment, and the trade off is we don't have to spend weekends fitting in everything.

It isn't easy... you just figure it out along the way I suppose.
My mother lives with one of my brothers and his family. She's not in any kind of assisted living complex. She's 87 and still in pretty good health. She still cooks some meals and helps keep the house clean. My sister helps by making her appointments and taking her shopping and doctors appointments. I live 100 miles away but help when I can.
My mother has found a new interest in life. She's become the caretaker of my brothers 3 great danes, lol. She feeds them, let's them out when they need to go and makes sure they are taken care of. She loves those dogs and they keep her busy.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:43 AM

11,126 posts, read 8,537,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have been speaking about this on this and other CD forums for some time now. It was predicted we would see an uptick of middle-aged to seniors aging alone. Sadly a large number of these are now and going to be females who can least afford to go it alone.
Why can't women go it alone?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:44 AM

173 posts, read 81,809 times
No surprise from me....high divorce rate and grown kids that work so much, that how can they possible take care of their parents??? Its a reality that Im sure many in my generation will go through also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement