U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 01:21 PM

13,190 posts, read 6,301,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
A friend of mine recently told me that his wife put an ap on his phone to follow his location and know where he's at all the time. She never even told him she added the ap. As far as I know, they've never had an infidelity problem. He just shrugged it off and laughed about it. She told him she did that just in case he got hurt while out running, LOL. They are both in their mid 30s.
Itís the Just find friends app, my daughter showed us the other day. Useful if you need to find where people are.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2018, 01:23 PM

13,190 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Ouch, LOL, I can see that a geo-stereotype needs gentle correcting here.

I'm a lifelong Long Islander and believe me when I say that, stupid reality shows notwithstanding, the majority of our population is not Jewish. There are certain towns here that are predominately Jewish: Great Neck, Kings Point, Plainview, Woodmere, Hewlett, Oceanside, Lawrence, and Cedarhurst, as well as Dix Hills. But once outside of those particular communities (and there about 200 communities/villages/towns on Long Island, give or take a few) we are pretty evenly mixed.

Just as an example, the last town I lived in (population about 28,000 within a six square mile radius which is more or less average depending on the town) had about 20 houses on our block. If memory serves -- and we're talking early 1970s into the 1990s -- the 'descent' of the various families was German (2), Italian (9), Irish (3), Polish (1), British (2), Jewish (2), Korean (1.)

Conversely there are some towns that are noted for their overwhelmingly WASP (not meaning that as a pejorative, I'm descended from such myself) population, particularly the "Gold Coast" north shore towns of Locust Valley, Glen Cove, Old Westbury, Brookville, etc. Towns that include one of the big university medical centers tend to have a large Asian population reflecting the demographics of the school (students and teachers) and also the medical professionals at the hospital. Stony Brook is a good example of this.

All just to point out that being from Long Island doesn't necessarily mean that someone is likely to be Jewish. During the 1960s-1980s it's true that many people from the predominately Jewish communities tended to be "snowbirds" and have condos etc in Florida, but in recent decades it's become equally common for others as well. My ex-BIL/SIL have had a Florida condo for years; he's Irish and she's Italian. They bought it because all her brothers and sisters had already bought one and they were the only holdouts, LOL
I wrote possible, I donít know definite. I didnít ask either unless she volunteers.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:37 PM

12,100 posts, read 6,680,435 times
I'll probably live alone in a hoarder cabin, drop dead in my cornflakes and get eaten by the cats.

Hey, that stuff actually happens. Sometimes I drive by one of those houses that looks like a very elderly person lives there all alone. And on the news you hear about a fire, stairway was blocked with stuff, firefighters could not get to the elderly person in the house.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:56 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post

Hate those pay walls. They are everywhere.
Why would you begrudge newspapers the right and necessity to remain financially viable in order to publish the newspaper and vast information contained within with all the costs involved of publication and paying reporters and newspaper workers and gathering information? Do you think it's free and cost-free to run a newspaper or other publications?

Old 12-12-2018, 02:22 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,674,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Hate those pay walls. They are everywhere.
The Wall Street Journal occasionally runs a $1 subscription special. Worth watching for.

Of course, we long-time subscribers donít get the special price. Most of us pay over $400/year for the privilege.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Warning - paywall.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lon...ne-11544541134

Here's a new article from the WSJ about "aging alone." What do you pin that on? Late in life divorce? Lack of support from children/not having children? Widowed? How do you plan for aging alone or do you not anticipate it?
I'll deal with it when I get there. But I am aging now, and far from alone.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 PM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I agree with this point. The lady in our bridge club is American, possibly Jewish, because sheís from Long Island. But her daughter is a stay at home mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Ouch, LOL, I can see that a geo-stereotype needs gentle correcting here.

Lon Gisland is 26% Italian. I've worked a ton in Nassau and Suffolk counties. The bagels weren't all that great and it was tough to find a deli with good hand sliced pastrami and corned beef.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:20 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
Childfree say they enjoy it so aging alone shouldn't be a problem.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:25 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Childfree say they enjoy it so aging alone shouldn't be a problem.
1. You're assuming ones children are obligated to care for elderly parents.
2. I'm childfree and I don't have a problem with aging alone.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM

5,939 posts, read 5,293,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
This is a good place to mention that many 55+ communities serve just this purpose...to build a network of friends who can help out in an emergency, whom you can talk to and socialize with, whom you have more in common with than random aged communities where most people work all day and have children and other family obligations to handle after work and on weekends.
That's true. We all help each other. The larger ones like mine also have different organizations that help out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement