Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 08:28 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You pay $500 to get brainwashed by Rupert Murdoch? You can watch Fox and Friends for free.
I like to be brainwashed by Murdoch vs some other fake news out there. I’ve been brainwashed since my first day out of college when my first boss showed me how to read the stock section of the wsj. That’s how I can afford $500 a year now. I’m now brainwashing my kids, give them access to the electronic version, hopefully in 30 years they’ll be able to afford the subscription. Yeah, keep the washed brain the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You have to be careful with the WSJ. The business news is real. If the piece has a byline, you’re getting the Rupert Murdoch editorial influence. I’ll often find myself reading something from the WSJ, think to myself that it doesn’t pass the sniff test, scroll up, and see the byline. The WSJ didn’t used to spin things like that.
I’m not sure what newspaper you read, but some of your comments indicate to be that you are brainwashed by some media too. Maybe you don’t realize it.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
But how are these European families caring for elderly with dementia? That is often more than the family member can handle. And are the wives not working? I asked our translator here how big a problem it is here where families are multi-generational, and she said diabetes is the problem, not dementia. So I thought it is more of a first-world issue.

I looked it up and was alarmed to see this chart:

https://www.alz.co.uk/research/statistics

Old 12-13-2018, 10:28 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,604,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
So why post it? We can't read it.
Try this link, no Facebook login required...

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...ne-11544541134

Click on “follow link”

Old 12-13-2018, 11:29 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I can't rep you, but I just wanted to say holy smokes to this. That is a lot of medical stuff to go through.
Tell me about it. It’s why I am completely burned out on them. My sibs “think” they know how this impacts me (they are several states away) but they really have no clue. Since the broken leg leg last week, I’ve spent more time dealing with them than I have at my job. I can’t (and won’t) do this anymore.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
But how are these European families caring for elderly with dementia? That is often more than the family member can handle. And are the wives not working? I asked our translator here how big a problem it is here where families are multi-generational, and she said diabetes is the problem, not dementia. So I thought it is more of a first-world issue.

I looked it up and was alarmed to see this chart:

https://www.alz.co.uk/research/statistics
No; it is a first world issue ... for now.

That graph didn't adjust for population & the differences in population between low-middle & high-income countries are enormous! Good grief, why did they do that? It almost makes it look, well ... nevermind.

I mean; 58% of people with dementia are living in low and middle-income countries but 86.6% of all people live in low and middle-income countries.

Given that 6.5 billion people live in low and middle-income countries out of the 7.5 billion people worldwide; the rate of dementia in high-income countries is almost 380.5% greater than the rate of dementia in low and middle-income countries.

Unfortunately, given that the low and middle-income countries have now adopted the same public health policies of the high-income countries (sans sanitation & clean drinking water); I'm sure that gap will narrow ... while both continue to rise.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Tell me about it. It’s why I am completely burned out on them. My sibs “think” they know how this impacts me (they are several states away) but they really have no clue. Since the broken leg leg last week, I’ve spent more time dealing with them than I have at my job. I can’t (and won’t) do this anymore.
If the threads in Caregiving are any indication; there has been a trend in acute care facilities blatantly disregarding both verbal & written directives that patients cannot be cared for by a family member.

Orders are written that the patient will be discharged to that family member & some have had concerns about facing potential elder abuse/neglect charges if they refuse.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Childfree say they enjoy it so aging alone shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Oh for heaven's sake. I think there's plenty of evidence that being a parent doesn't ensure you won't "age alone." Why do you resent CFs so much?
I'm not that poster but I can understand why she said that. Specific to this forum; it's not so much an action as it is a reaction.

In the past, regardless of country or culture; I don't think that there was any resentment towards the CFs due to how vested in their communities they were.

Whether married & CF or never married, they simply had more time, energy & money than parents did to develop spiritually, intellectually, socially & artistically; then gifting those assets to their friends & neighbors. There was a sacrifice involved.

Which really is what happens when you raise a family: Your needs become 2nd (or 3rd, 4th ... last) to the needs of the rest of the household.

That being said: There are CFs here on CD who I admire tremendously, as I sense they have a "greatness" about them that they invest in others. I'm kind of a big fan of several of them! So I really want to avoid offending them by stereotyping but surely; nobody has missed some of the back-slapping/high-fiving "Shouldn't have had any kids!" attitude that is directed at parents here. All. The. Time.

As if I don't question my own sanity often enough. I mean; some people, obviously; should not have kids & some people really aren't marriage material. I personally; knew I was going to be a parent from the day I was born but I'm really bad at relationships. I mean really bad. Sometimes I wonder what God was even thinking when he made me but my point, is that most parents have moments when they question themselves & figuring in the sometimes covert (or outright) parent-bashing of our current culture; this might lend itself to an occasional snarky comment. That's just my $0.02.

Old 12-13-2018, 01:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It's a cultural thing. Somewhere around the last couple of generations, people in the U.S. stopped taking care of their elders and put them in nursing homes.
In many other parts of the world, elders even with their health problems live with family members and never see a nursing home, like they've done for thousands of years.
Quote:
‘Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.’ -- Robert Frost
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...-the-hired-man

Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Being alone and lonely are 2 different states of existence. You can be lonely in a crowd and you can be alone but never lonely. Different states of mind.
The problem of aging alone isn't just loneliness. It has to do with health care and meeting basic needs if one is too sick or infirm to meet those needs on their own. If someone has serious health care issues then it can be difficult to live alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement