U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 AM

3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am heading to the bank to withdraw all my money, cashing out of retirement funds, listing the house with a realtor. I am taking all my cash and I going to live in a van down by the river. I will need to get a trailer to pull behind the van that will hold all the gold and silver I am buying. Will be short-term though as now that I know prices will skyrocket in a year, I am going to make a killing.

Man, I am glad I checked this forum today.
LOL. You made many of us laugh here.

Us---we never saved a dime. No pensions or anything. But we had property to sell and moved overseas for a cheap retirement so we are doing fine by most measurements. I had a "wealth of experiences" instead, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
You can be sarcastic if you wish but some people are actually doing some or even all of the things you wrote in your post. Don't be a fool and not heed a warning. You will be one of the first to complain. What's coming will be worse than 2008 and apparently you aren't remotely prepared. Unfortunately, you and many others will be caught off guard. You think it can't happen in America? Well, just wait and see. The game is over so you'd better protect yourself. Anyway, I'm not going back-and-forth with you. You're not my responsibility. Ciao....!
Please throw a buck in my cup when you walk by me living in a cardboard box in the alley after the big collapse. I will appreciate it.

Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 AM

2,443 posts, read 2,071,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Hi Mitt: Thanks for the advice. I've just booked my ticket to the Cayman Islands - I'll see you there for Christmas.
Is that Mitt Romney posting on CD forum? Who'd a thunk

Old 12-13-2018, 04:49 PM

831 posts, read 653,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Be careful about your investments. Paper assets are on very shaky right now. If you don't hold it in your hand...you don't own it. You have to diversify and buy precious metals put some money offshore if possible. Invest in "tangible" assets. Your retirement may not be around for you to enjoy it regardless of meticulous planning. Gold and silver prices are rather low right now but they will skyrocket within the next year. Now is the time to buy. Don't leave all your cash in the banks either in case of a bail-in. You may balk at what I'm writing; however, it's best to be "safe than sorry."...Good Luck!

What's with the doomsday sky is falling stuff???

Like you mentioned "if you don't hold it in your hand"... do they really mail you little gold and silver bars???
Do you really think you could access that if the poo hit the fan?
If you had gold literally in your hand, how long would it be before someone younger and stronger than you took it by force??

Good luck in the bunker!

Old 12-13-2018, 05:53 PM

5,440 posts, read 2,762,134 times
Quote:
Did you change your username? You remind of someone that I haven't seen post in a while.
Nah, I just have that kind of face. Seriously, I've been rodentraiser all over the internet since I got my first computer (first one that would run) back in '05. That name was given to me by my coworkers one place I worked at and I've never changed it.

Sarcasm is my middle name, though.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:55 PM

25,985 posts, read 32,996,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Yeah, but some day you might want to trade him in on a new model. Say, an underwear model.
LOL!!!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:30 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,507,801 times
None. I retired at 62 to be a full-time caregiver and now I work part-time to stay afloat. Looking for an additional source of income on top of that. I will work until I die or live out of my car and tour the countryside with my dogs as an alternative lifestyle. Maybe sing for my supper or work for Amazon.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:22 AM

122 posts, read 59,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
What's with the doomsday sky is falling stuff???

Like you mentioned "if you don't hold it in your hand"... do they really mail you little gold and silver bars???
Do you really think you could access that if the poo hit the fan?
If you had gold literally in your hand, how long would it be before someone younger and stronger than you took it by force??

Good luck in the bunker!
Yes, you can buy gold and silver bars through the mail if you wish. It's amazing that you and others are not aware of this. It shows how ill-prepared you are. You can start here: USGold&Silver. There are other reputable companies as well that sell precious metals. As far as the rest of your post goes, anyone with any knowledge about "precious metals" know that you keep them in a safe place. The same as you would any other "valuables" that you keep at home. And don't tell anyone about them except maybe trusted family members. Remember, when the SHTF and the economy is reset "gold and silver" are the best assets you can have as you can then exchange them for the "new currency" for an astronomical amount. Precious metals are another way to store your wealth. Did you know that when "fiat money" runs out precious metals are the immediate alternative for purchases? Did you know that in Venezuela right now roughly 10oz of gold will get you a house??? Fiat money is not accepted in Venezuela but precious metals like gold are! Don't forget that when your dollar becomes no more accepted than toilet paper and all your paper assets are of no value. It's the "calm before the storm" my friend.

"A minimum of 10-20% of your assets should be in precious metals such as gold, silver or platinum. It serves as a hedge against inflation, economic uncertainty and asset preservation." GOLD IS REAL MONEY-PAPER FIAT-MONEY IS NOT...!
"Big banks and governments know what’s coming and they are preparing for this eventuality by stockpiling huge amounts of “real money” ahead of the crisis." (Taken from article link below)

Keep in mind, the economy will crash and it's crashing as-we-speak. Governments and countries around the world are stockpiling precious metals especially gold for this very reason. You can read about it here: "They Know What's Going To Happen" - Governments, Big Banks Are Stockpiling Gold. "The writing is on the wall and major financial institutions across the world are warning about the economic disaster to come. Unabated money printing, tariff trade wars, rising interest rates and retail slowdowns point to one result, and it’s going to be brutal." Countries around the world are dropping the dollar for trade as we speak. No more free ride. Your standard of living will eventually drop dramatically. The US dollar is losing its reserve status. In fact, the world is going through a financial crisis. US won't be the only country in jeopardy but it will be the hardest hit because of the dollar.
You can take it as a joke if you wish. The coming crash will make 2008 look like playtime. Besides, if you prepare it can't hurt one way or another. What harm is there in being prepared for harmful events? It should be a normal precaution regardless of which way the wind blows. Be smarter than those who think the system will always be there for them. Remember the great depression? It "seemed" to happen in the blink-of-an-eye even though the signs were obvious that it was coming. Oh yeah, stock up on foods and water, etc., staples like toilet paper, if you or someone in your care needs certain medicines make sure you have access to those medicines. I'm not answering anyone else on this matter. It's for another time on another thread...In all seriousness...Good Luck!

Last edited by Propop; 12-14-2018 at 01:39 AM..

Old 12-14-2018, 02:30 AM

71,550 posts, read 71,730,589 times
Quote:
Did you change your username? You remind of someone that I haven't seen post in a while.
yep , me too .... rhymes with bee-market. he thought it was a rent problem . it was really an income problem he had .

Old 12-14-2018, 02:39 AM

4,410 posts, read 1,669,820 times
Not very much, considering my total earnings was about 2-million in today's dollars, which averages out to maybe double minimum wage..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or