Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 06:26 AM

334 posts, read 186,631 times

Advertisements

Be careful about your investments. Paper assets are on very shaky right now. If you don't hold it in your hand...you don't own it. You have to diversify and buy precious metals put some money offshore if possible. Invest in "tangible" assets. Your retirement may not be around for you to enjoy it regardless of meticulous planning. Gold and silver prices are rather low right now but they will skyrocket within the next year. Now is the time to buy. Don't leave all your cash in the banks either in case of a bail-in. You may balk at what I'm writing; however, it's best to be "safe than sorry."...Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,869,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Be careful about your investments. Paper assets are on very shaky right now. If you don't hold it in your hand...you don't own it. You have to diversify and buy precious metals put some money offshore if possible. Invest in "tangible" assets. Your retirement may not be around for you to enjoy it regardless of meticulous planning. Gold and silver prices are rather low right now but they will skyrocket within the next year. Now is the time to buy. Don't leave all your cash in the banks either in case of a bail-in. You may balk at what I'm writing; however, it's best to be "safe than sorry."...Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice. I am heading to the bank to withdraw all my money, cashing out of retirement funds, listing the house with a realtor. I am taking all my cash and I going to live in a van down by the river. I will need to get a trailer to pull behind the van that will hold all the gold and silver I am buying. Will be short-term though as now that I know prices will skyrocket in a year, I am going to make a killing.

Man, I am glad I checked this forum today.

Last edited by jasperhobbs; 12-13-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 AM

421 posts, read 385,974 times
We probably saved 25% over the years, now in our 60s. Also, had two pensions as well as social security above the savings.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:48 AM

334 posts, read 186,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Thanks for the advice. I am heading to the bank to withdraw all my money, cashing out of retirement funds, listing the house with a realtor. I am taking all my cash and I going to live in a van down by the river. I will need to get a trailer to pull behind the van that will hold all the gold and silver I am buying. Will be short-term though as now that I know prices will skyrocket in a year, I am going to make a killing.

You can be sarcastic if you wish but some people are actually doing some or even all of the things you wrote in your post. Don't be a fool and not heed a warning. You will be one of the first to complain. What's coming will be worse than 2008 and apparently you aren't remotely prepared. Unfortunately, you and many others will be caught off guard. You think it can't happen in America? Well, just wait and see. The game is over so you'd better protect yourself. Anyway, I'm not going back-and-forth with you. You're not my responsibility. Ciao....!

Old 12-13-2018, 08:30 AM

1,154 posts, read 2,502,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propop View Post
Hi Mitt: Thanks for the advice. I've just booked my ticket to the Cayman Islands - I'll see you there for Christmas.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:57 AM

1,566 posts, read 1,109,441 times
Age 52 and here is our breakdown on savings:

7% into 401K
8% into Roths
5% into mutual funds
7% into Savings
-----------------------------
27% total saving

Starting in January we plan to increase the mutual funds to 10% for a total of 32% savings. Only debt we have is the house and it will be paid off in about 12 years if we only do the payments.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:46 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,790,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. I wasn't advertising. I am in a longstanding relationship. But not married, and financially responsible for myself only.
Yeah, but some day you might want to trade him in on a new model. Say, an underwear model.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post

LOL! I nearly spewed hot coffee out my nose. I can't rep you without being more promiscuous with my reps - so I'll just say nicely done.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:00 AM

For the last decade or so of our prime earning years, we both had jobs were about 2/3 to 3/4 of annual cash compensation came in the form of an annual performance bonus payout. We saved every penny of the annual performance bonus. We maxed company-matched 401Ks, of course. We had a deferred compensation plan where we could defer up to $X of that year's total cash compensation and receive it paid out over many years after retiring, which in turn allowed us to recognize that compensation once we had relocated to a no-state-income-tax state. I don't recall how much X was, but a lot. On top of that, we always had large numbers of expiring stock option grants (typically 10 years) for which we did same-day-sales (exercise & sell), and we always saved every penny of that.

Now many years into retirement but with no pension and with no SS (we're waiting until 70), we have quite a lot of passive income and cap gains generated each year, plus payouts on deferred comp from prior years (which have grown with the market) and we still save about 3/4 of it all for the benefit of our future beneficiaries and for charitable gifting.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,757,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae5150 View Post
Thanks everyone! I am mid 30’s and have lowered my contribution temporarily because Im doing part time with a young family. I guess I need to ramp it back up when possible. Spouse is doing 10% now, and I’m doing 5%. Many of my peers have less than what we’ve set aside. Perhaps we have time to catch up in a few years too. But a bit scary for many when its our time to retire.

Unless you are chasing FIRE, don't worry too much, just ramp back up when you can. We've only maxxed out 401k/Roth/HSA/529s for 10 years now and it's a huge difference compared to the previous 10. Once we hit 50 and don't have to worry about mortgage and kids education, the savings will ramp up even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement